Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best/Worst things about being Banded?

:biggrin:Hey there I've been considering getting the Band for some time now. I have an appt with my PCM to get a referral. So I'm wondering if some of you bandsters could help me:

What's the BEST thing about being banded?

What's the WORST thing about being banded?

Thanks!

Wow! Sounds like an easy question but ... I guess after 8 months the best thing is that I have found my sweet spot and I am losing weight! The worse part is that it has taken me that long to feel like I am accomplishing my goal. The surgery wasn't that bad, some people have problems, usually the ones who have had stomach problems in the past. The pre liquid diet is boring but you'll survive. The post diet is also boring and you'll be hungry quicker than you thought you would be. I made a game out of how many things I could puree!

You just have to get your mind around the fact that it is not going to happen over night. The band is an aid to weight lost, not a miracle. I can eat just about anything but MUCH less of it than I use to. I don't feel deprived.

Make sure you have people who support you, even just one. The stories about other people jealously are true. Most of my friends (and I still call them friends), would rather choke than say I look good and I do look GOOD! lol

Hang in there- ask questions here, these are the people in the trenches who have the answers.

I was banded on May 20th...

:thumbup:The best thing so far has been the way I feel about exercising! I use to hate it- I tried every type and hated all of it... Now I go every day to the gym at work instead of going to lunch (I just eat at my desk now!)

I can swim laps in the pool and not feel like I'm going to have to do the doggy paddle! I can really really swim...

:) The worst thing about being banded is the not being able to drink Diet Coke or anything "bubbly"... LOL Having to remember all the things you can't do- no straws, no soft bread, etc... I'll get use to it, It's only been 2 months!

Good luck to you!!! :thumbup:

The best thing about the band is knowing that you have truely done something for yourself and that you know in a year you WILL be thinner & healthier than you are now.

The worst thing about the band is that it is not something that happens over night. You have to realize that you still have to work hard at changing your lifestyle (which I am still trying to do). Also, having to give up coca cola has been really hard for me to do, but I have not had a coke since May 6!!!! I think we should set up a soda pop anon group...LOL

for me, i would say one of the best things is feeling like i have control of my weight and, by extension, my life. i had been gaining for so long i felt like losing weight was hopeless (until the band that is). even just losing 10% of my body weight, i feel much healthier and alive.

as for the worst - it's hard to lose slowly at times and look around the boards to see other people losing at double your rate (or more!). my loss was really slow at for the first couple of months and i got a little freaked out that getting banded wasn't going to significantly impact my weight.

also, and this is going to sound weird, but i loved eating large quantities of food and that whole full/stuffed/sated feeling that came along with it. i just don't get that with the band - it's more of an uncomfortable feeling rather than a full feeling. so sometimes i really miss being able to get that serotonin kick from large quantities of bad food. it was always a real comfort for me growing up.

all in all, though, i wouldn't change a thing. :thumbup:

The best thing about having the band is being set free from food controlling your life! It's also fun to watch the scale go down for a change.

The worst is doing without bread and it's not much fun to go out to eat anymore....but it is SOOOOO worth it!

I'm in for the soda drinkers anonymous group sessions... I had a horrible craving the other day for it... but it passed as my day got busier and I Survived! WoohHooo

The best thing is being able to go in my closet and put anything on...and it looks good!

The worst is not being able to tolerate bread, rice, diet pepsi, etc...

But I'll get over it....the band is so worth it!

I was banded on May 20th...

:thumbup:The best thing so far has been the way I feel about exercising! I use to hate it- I tried every type and hated all of it... Now I go every day to the gym at work instead of going to lunch (I just eat at my desk now!)

I can swim laps in the pool and not feel like I'm going to have to do the doggy paddle! I can really really swim...

:) The worst thing about being banded is the not being able to drink Diet Coke or anything "bubbly"... LOL Having to remember all the things you can't do- no straws, no soft bread, etc... I'll get use to it, It's only been 2 months!

Good luck to you!!! :thumbup:

What a possitive additude you have :drool: its great to hear how well your doing best of luck to you

Sign me up for that soda-anon! I'm not going to be banded until the end of August, but I am already grieving the loss of a few things in my mind. Soda is definitely at the top of the list but I also agree that I'm going to miss the serotonin kick that I get when I'm "fat-n-happy" after a meal. "Healthy-n-Happier" here I come!

Am I reading your signature right? You've lost all that weight without being banded?

You are doing fantastic- with or without the band!!!

I envy you! I just couldn't do it before- I had completely given up on my body... (I have PCOS)

Lanakila - you'll be fine and you have the right attitude about it... Best of luck to you!!!

FYI- I didn't give up the Diet Coke until the day before my surgery- I just couldn't do it. I will always Love it and crave it and miss it... I've thought about drinking a flat one- but what good would that do me?

Now I just try to find as many new crystal light 'on the go' packets (or similar sugar free flavors) that I can... My current favorite is: SF Hawaiian Punch- Lemon Berry! YUMMY - One packet is enough for 3 bottles for me (real strong) and I've been buying them at Walgreens for only $1 (box of 10) WooHoo...

Much cheaper than my diet coke friend!

Edited by Yvonne72

I dont get it why can you drink Coke or sodas?

Carbonation, soda, champaigne, or beer would expand the pouch and you run the risk of slippage. So, its the ONE no no. Some other things seem personal. Some can have salad, some say they cant, but they eat rice and someone else has trouble with rice.

Carbonation is the only total no no. I dont want to chance having more surgery to fix the slippage. Im still in the first 3 weeks building scar tissue to keep the band in place.

What's the BEST thing about being banded?

Loss of hunger, restriction

What's the WORST thing about being banded?

Not being able to eat volumne. I would love to have a big Subway sandwich or a big bowl of Pasta.