Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help, I can't control myself!

I was banded May 8 and have only lost 10 lbs since. I've had 2 fills & have very little restriction. Why can't I eat like I'm suppose to? I'll tell you...because I feel the same as before getting the band. I couldn't diet then so why should I be able to now? People on this site keep saying "watch what you eat, don't stretch out your pouch, protein/veggies/carbs" etc. but if I was able to control my intake I wouldn't have forked over 14K for this surgery!

I'm sorry but I'm pretty pissed off at this point. I have never ending stomach issues but nothing shows up on any of the tests I've had done. I just had a CT-scan yesterday to see why I'm having inflammation in my stomach & horrible gas pressure 24/7. Now who wouldn't be pissed off? Not only have I not lost hardly any weight but I'm sick all the time.

I have a feeling the doctor didn't do anything wrong during surgery since the tests I've had so far indicate there is nothing wrong. I hate to sound like such a "B" but I have nowhere else to vent.

Please, can anyone give me any encouragement that I haven't wasted my money on this procedure? I read all the time how everyone just loves their band but would you still be in love if all you had lost was 10 lbs in 3 months?

Thanks for listening!

Hello,

My name is Debra. I had surgery Oct. 07. I had a fill 6 weeks later.

No restriction. I had a fill 4 weeks later, with no restriction. I felt the same as you, but you do have to change your eating, anyway I had another fill 2 weeks for fill 3, with no restriction. That was the end of Dec. 07. When I moved to Calif. end of Dec.07 I scheduled a flouro-fill in Mexico for Jan 23,08. I had restriction so the tool was working. However I was still the same person who liked to eat. I relaxed and tried each diet to change my eating and use the restriction. I have since lost almost 40 lbs. Now that is a little slow compared to most people but I am happy. I will get another fill in August. I am at a plateau right now.

I wish you the best. Be easy on yourself ok? One day at a time is the way to do it. If you have a bad day of eating forgive yourself and go on with your goal the next day. Soon you will have restiction, THEN you will be able to chew slowly, because you will HAVE to or you will get stuck. Write back if I have helped you at all. Maybe I can support you...

deb2porter

Hey crazycatlady, You haven't wasted your money. How many cc's do you have in your band and what size is your band? Have you told your dr this? Iam surprised 2 1/2 months out they are not being more aggressive with your fills?

If you're still eating like you did before the band, that could be causing your stomach problems (and slow weight loss) -- you do have the band and what you eat is going to affect your stomach, even though you aren't feeling restriction.

I know it's hard to "diet" until you start feeling the proper restriction but that's what it takes. But you have to want to lose weight, you have to want it badly enough to work at it. I know you've heard a thousand times that the band is a tool.... and if you don't have any restriction yet, you don't really quite have a tool yet and I understand that. I don't want this to sound harsh because believe me, I don't have all the answers and I've had my days of eating way more than I should.... but I kind of think it's an excuse to say "I couldn't diet before I had the band so why should I be able to diet now." You can do it if you want to! I've been able to "diet" without restriction because I don't have the patience to wait until I do have restriction. I think just having the band has given me a psychological boost that has helped me do that. Plus, I don't feel that I'm on yet another diet that I'm going to end up failing at. I know that sooner or later I'll hit that sweet spot and then it will get easier. Not easy, but easier. I was self-pay too and it's been a bit more of a struggle and a journey than I expected (despite all my intense research beforehand) but I don't think I made a mistake, and I don't think you did either.

Maybe you can talk to your doctor about getting another fill soon? I was banded May 15th and I've had four fills, with another one scheduled next week. I hope you have a good supportive doctor that you can talk to about your frustration and he can help you out. I wish you all the best and I hope it gets better for you soon!

Hey Anabella,

I have no idea the amt. in my band. I guess I haven't been very aggressive about getting fills since I went out of the country & have been having stomach issues. I can get another in about 1 week.

Thanks for your input.

May 8 to July 18 im guessing that you only have a very small amount in your band.I did the same thing.I didnt have much restriction until I got about 4cc.in my band.I promise you will eventually get all the restriction you can handle.

I didn't really have restriction until fill #3, which I just got yesterday and the restriction was instantaneous. I currently have 6.4cc in my band and have true restriction and I love it and now I can also say I love my band.

Before this last fill I was able to eat everything and did because I could, but now I get sick - and it feels horrible so I just don't even go there - because it is not worth the pain. And I am not hungry all the time anymore - HALLELUJAH!! I agree with you - I paid for the band and I want it to work!! I REFUSE to diet, I did that before the band and it obviously didn't work. I felt like some people on here were very judgmental and I almost hit the door. But, I did find a support system in others on here - and that makes it all worth it. Everyone will have their opinion, but you will have to form your own. I personally have discovered that I am someone who has to live on the tighter side of the band, because if I CAN eat it I probably will.

I had started to get frustrated too. Especially when there were so many who started losing lots of weight after surgery with little to no Fluid in their band. But stay optimistic and stay on top of your fills - YOUR TIME WILL COME and YOUR BAND WILL WORK FOR YOU. Find out how much you have in your band and how much they are giving you with each fill.

I see we were both banded in May and are both from the great state of Texas, if you need a lap band buddy I am here! Good Luck to you!!

I have had two fills and was feeling the same way for weeks. I just got a breakthrough a few weeks ago. I also can eat the same as before the band, and didn't understand what was going on. The fills didn't really make me restrictive until my last fill when I eat carbs (certain ones) I would feel the feeling of pain in the stomach or feel like I can't eat anymore. I also noticed when I eat too quickly I have the feeling of wanted to through up. You are right to feel the way you do, but you can just take a moment and say I am just going to have to start over and see what's going on with me. I evaluated myself and looked at what I was eating and "WHAT WAS EATING ME" I had some issues going on and finally decided to deal with them, and now I can deal with me now. I noticed I was not exercising and eating some old habits again. It's not overnight, but we can just start again today and look at where we are at and why we decided to go on this band journey. Look at your food intake and exercise and of course Water and see what changes you can make. Truly I understand what you are saying and I my heart goes out to you and what you want to accomplish. Best