Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have pre-op diet suggestions

Hey Ladies:

My banding surgeon told me to lose about 25 lbs, before he will schedule my surgery. He didn't give me any real directions. :wub:

For those who have done a Pre-op diet, any suggestions? So far I have lost about 7lbs. I am also going to check with my PCP, once she back from her vacation.

I assume some kind of high Protein with liquids should do.

Pre-Op Diet for LAP-BAND Surgery

About two weeks before your LAP-BAND surgery, your surgeon will have you begin a special diet. The pre-op diet is important because it is designed to get your body ready for surgery and make recovery easier. You will need to lose fat around your stomach and liver, as well as shrink the liver itself. If the liver is too large, the surgery may have to be postponed. The diet helps reduce potential bleeding that can accompany surgery by reducing fatty triglycerides from around the liver and spleen.

A primary part of the pre-op diet is a Protein supplement. Myocel, a Protein powder, is designed to lower the fat content of the liver, maximize recovery, and promote weight loss. Myocel can be mixed in with skim milk, Water, fruit juice, or fat-free yogurt.

Foods that will need to be decreased in your diet include high-sugar foods, high carbohydrate foods (including bread), fats (such as butter), fatty meats, fried foods, whole milk products, and alcohol. Your diet will be limited, but foods that may be included are yogurt, fruit, Cereal, eggs, oatmeal for Breakfast and lean meat or fish with green vegetables for dinner. Pre-op diets may vary between surgeons and patients, but you should always follow the recommendations of your doctor.

My surgeon suggests either 6 carnation instant breakfasts a day or 4 Atkins shakes for 1-2 weeks preop...

Thanks for the reply Rhondalou:

Good luck on your banding.

My doctor did not really have any suggestions about what I should eat to lose weight. Eventhough my BMI is 50.2, he didn't think I would have a problem. After getting on LBT, I am the one who kept asking about reducing the fat around my liver and stomach. I just didn't want to be put under and then have the surgeon say he could not band me because of the extra fat.

I have heard about Myocel, I will take your suggestions.

Every pre-op is different and I'm sorry your doc wasn't more specific. I agree with the suggestions above. Some rules I followed were:

-Fat free/sugar free if possible (yogurt, popsicles, jello)

-All fruit except bananas as they are high in natural sugar.

-Depending on the shakes, 6 carnation Breakfast (low sugar) or 3-4 Atkins shakes. Make sure the shakes are high Protein, low carb.

-64oz of Water per day (or as close to it as possible). No soda, try crystal light if you need flavor, try to limit juices unless they are 100% natural.

-1-2 meals per day (outside of shakes) which include 4-6oz portions of fish, chicken, or lean beef (not fried try grilled or baked). Also veggies. No potatoes or other high carb foods.

-And walk or other type of exercise you enjoy, this should keep your metabolism up, keep you full, and cut down on fat.

You can do it! :-)

TravelLady,

I am concerned that your surgeon has not given you any dietary direction despite your comorbidities, yet states he will do no surgery unless you drop weight. Can you spell u-n-s-u-p-p-o-r-t-i-v-e-? None the less, I understand your desire to get this ball on the road. Because of your age and comorbidities, I suggest you visit a clinical nutritionist familiar with bariatric surgery patients and have him/her place you under their supervision. That person can then send their documentation of your care to the surgeon. If he sees you have consulted another professional (another set of eyes), he may be less inclined to act up and you will be more inclined to lose the weight safely without aggrevating other conditions and insure a healthier surgical outcome. Praying for you!

Tammygirl

tammygirl u r gonna end up bring the mama of this forum. You should change your avatar to m'dear! Seriously you always come with some sincere well thought out comments.

I take chewable Centrum....a little chalky but I make sure to brush my teeth and drink plenty of Water afterwards. It's not a "carb free" diet, just low carbs. And pay attention to labels b/c foods do have carbs in them, some drinks too and we don't realize that carbs are more than bread.< /p>

Tammy:

Thanks for your reply. I am planning to visit a nutritionist as soon as I see my PCP on Wed about my extremely elevated HBP. (she has been on vacation). If I can not get can't get help from my PCP (she is against any WLS). I have contacted another internist that will help me on my journey toward the band. I'm also sure I can get help and the name of a nutritionist from my diabetes doctor, who is very much for WLS. :biggrin:

I will keep you informed.

Sounds like you are on the right track, Travel Lady! I am praying that you get through this process and I believe you will! This board is a testimony! Between lost pictures, crazy men, whack insurance companies and whatever, sisters are getting up and moving toward a destiny of better health. Go girl!

tammygirl u r gonna end up bring the mama of this forum. You should change your avatar to m'dear! Seriously you always come with some sincere well thought out comments.

Thank you, April! It's because of my experience. Experience comes by trial and error. Many errors causing many trials, and being saved many times by a good God. Be blessed today!

Tammy:

I finally got to see my PCP and she has helped me get started on a weight loss plan that will work with my diabetes. She is very upset about how little help my band surgeon given me. She has suggested I may want to find about surgeon.:)

TravelLady,

So good to hear your PCP is in your corner and getting you started on a good plan with your special needs in mind. My experience and observation as a nurse has been this: Doctors are a tight bunch. In most communities, they usually know or know of each other. When one doctor suggests you may want to change doctors....:) not a good sign. It may mean she knows something about this doc you don't and she really doesn't want to bad mouth the doc straight up so she calls herself throwing a hint. Makes me wanna say "UMMM".

Whichever way you go, you have the support from your PCP and you will get in the best condition to have this surgery. I am looking forward to seeing how you progress in your journey! Take care!

travellady:

that is great news! U r moving forward on this journey conquering one obstacle at a time. U will do it! U have made great friends here who understand and support u. Keep pushing lady :obama fist bump: :thumbup:

Hey Ladies:

My banding surgeon told me to lose about 25 lbs, before he will schedule my surgery. He didn't give me any real directions. :thumbup:

For those who have done a Pre-op diet, any suggestions? So far I have lost about 7lbs. I am also going to check with my PCP, once she back from her vacation.

I assume some kind of high Protein with liquids should do.

I'm glad you made this thread, I was told yesterday to lose 15 pounds before surgery. I didn't get any directions as to what i should do so I figured I should just drink whey gourmet Protein shakes and one salad with chicken a day.