Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK whats wrong with me??

Hello, i was banded June 12th. The morning of surgery i weighed 254, i am only down to 248!! and it has been a month!! Whats wrong? Im excercising, and eating less!! Why am i not losing? Will this get better when i get a fill?? I hope so, i feel like im failing at this!! Everyone is like "how much weight have you lost?" and im so embarresed to say "6 pounds" What should i do??

It's been over three months for me and I've really not lost any weight at all. I've changed my eating habits, I exercise, but I have no restriction still. I'm going for my 3rd fill this week. I'm having the same problem with people asking how much I've lost or how I'm doing, then looking me up and down almost in an appraising manner. It's so offensive.

From what the long term people have said, this is 'bandster hell' the time between surgery and healing to where the swelling goes down and when you finally find your 'sweet spot' with restriction. A lot of people have said it'll probably take at least 3 fills before you really get close to that sweet spot, so don't lose hope. This is just the part where you have to work harder!

Are either of you noticing a difference in the way your clothes fit? Are you starting to build muscle? How are you feeling since being banded? There are more ways than one, to judge your progress.

One of the most important things is, are you taking in enough Protein? If not, this can stall your progress too.

According to your tickers, you both appear to be doing great with your weight loss. Be proud of that progress and don't stress out too much on where you are right now. Just continue to follow your dietary and exercise guidelines and 6 months to a year from now, those little victories will have added up to noticeable accomplishments. Stay strong.

Sincerely,

Stephanie

Track your food. Quantity and quality are not the same thing: you could be eating less, but what are you eating? It's one thing to say that you are eating better/healthier, but until you see it laid out, can you be sure?

Remember, calories are calories - and calories still count. Take in less than you need, and you will lose weight.

Also, as the previous poster asked, how do your clothes fit? Are you gaining muscle while losing fat?

hi i have the same problem i was banded the 23rd of june and have lost 5 or 6 lbs depending on the day i was so concerned i phoned my surgeons office and spoke to the nurse/dietician, she said this was absolutly normal and some people dont lose anything or may even gain slightly before their first fill! i am excersising to and eating less and slower, so i guess we just have to take their word for it and hang in there xxx

see this is why i havent' weighed myself. So much obsessing about wether were doing things right and wow were not losing weight. I am on strike LOL.. I have not weighed myself since leaving the hospital. My doctor stressed to me that it is not about losing weight right now but healing. And the more stress i have the less i will accomplish both things. So darn it i need a sign and a picket line"i will not weigh", "i will not weigh" I feel better everyday, lighter if you may those are the things that tell me im losing some and my clothes do fit a lil different, but until the 29th of this month i will not weigh myself because i know i will also obsess about it. Stay positve my friends. If you only lose 1 lb thats 1 less you had before surgery, You all will do great i know it. Have a great day.

I understand your pain - I was banded June 16th and have lost 6 ish pounds. Now, I do weigh myself and I suppose that is my pre-ogerative - however, it helps me stay on track - band or not.

I have my first fill this Tuesday (July 22nd) and I am looking forward to feeling some restriction. I do count calories, I do excercise, I do eat my Protein first etc. :)

My surgeon also said that not until you receive fills do you neccessarily start losing, each band is different as each person is different.

Hang in there and I am right there with you :confused:

Thank you all very much for your kind words and support, yall have really made me feel better about this. I guess i should look at it as im not gaining!! cus thats what i would be doing otherwise! I just hate my doctor's office, to them its all about weight!! I go in, i weigh, and according to how i do, my doctor is in a good, or bad mood! Its so intemidating!! lol sorry not a very good speller!! but i get my first fill friday the 25th so we will see after that!! Thanks again!!!:seeya:

I understand where you are in the healing time cycle. If you are worried about how to answer people asking about your weight loss, that is none of their business. If you feel like sharing this with someone that is fine. However when people that you are not close enough to ask this question maybe you should ask them "when was your last period?" or something like "have you had your colon checked lately?" Unless others have been in your shoes they don't realize how personal they are being until you show them. I don't think they are doing it out of spite, but out of ignorance. These questions all fall into the same catagory, not their business unless you offer the information. When my twins were babies I used to always get the question, are they natural or did you take drugs? I learned that sometimes you have to stop being so nice when others want to be in your business.

I think all this is a good argument for not telling people you are banded. I told the lady going on my cruise, because I would be eating differently. Protein first and then some salad (or so I plan). I told my parents, but we didnt tell my sister because she would tell others, she cant keep things to herself. I did mention it as a possibility to someone else, but havent mentioned yet that its done.

My Dad did ask me if I lost 10 lbs and asked him, do you mean since surgery??!! Un no. He hasnt asked since.