Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

They say we grow them big in Texas, but I've grown big enough and it's time to get smaller!

A little background on me, I was never really thin but wasn't really heavy either until my mid 20s. When I was about 160 and expecting my first child I developed unexplained pain and frequent headaches that was many years later diagnosed as fibromyalgia. This slowed me down and the weight started to creep up. Even with the extra weight, I was healthy and relatively strong for a long time though. When I hit about 240 it started to really affect how I felt but still I put it out of my mind and never did anything about it that lasted more than a few weeks. Then it all came crashing down when I developed plantar faciitis a year and a half ago. With treatment it was off and on but never severe until 6 months ago and I've been nearly housebound from the pain since then. I've reached the end of the road in conservative treatment and the required surgery has a very low success rate, especially for somebody my size. My poor foot just can't carry around 280 pounds and now I'm stuck, I can't exercise to lose it if I can't walk. I decided to look into lap band only to be devastated to find out my insurance won't pay for it under any circumstances. After some thought we've decided to borrow the money and just go ahead and do it and my preop physical is tomorrow. I don't have a surgery date set yet but they said to expect to be ready in 2-4 weeks and it can't come soon enough. Hoping that with weight loss I can avoid the foot surgery, but even if I still have to have it my chances of it being successful will be much better at a lower weight. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all as we help each other along the road!

:cool2: Lauralee

Edited by ShrinkyDink

Hello, from Justin,Tx. Congrats on your decision to have the lapband and I hope for nothing but success with your journey to the new you. Stay positive and we are here to encourage.......

Lauralee,

Congratulations on making one of the best decisions of your life. Anyway, that is how I feel. I too was self pay and it has been worth every penny. The great thing about self pay is that it goes by pretty fast. You do your pre-op testing and then schedule surgery.

Anyway, good luck and let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to help.

Welcome Lauralee! You are in good company here. I understand the foot pain that you are talking about. I had it about 14 years ago and had a minor surgery. It hurt worse after surgery for about a year, and then it stopped hurting. Fortunately I haven't had other issues with it, but I can relate to the vicious cycle you are in. I had such severe back pain for years after a car accident that I couldn't exercise. Even walking was painful. Fortunately, I found a great pilates-based physical therapy program that really helped keep the pain manageable. But, after losing 50 pounds I can tell you that my back rarely hurts anymore.

We are glad you are here. Feel free to ask anything!

Where in TX are you from? I'm in McKinney.

Thanks all :)

Just got home, I had my H&P done today and I have a surgery date of August 15th. They said I could go sooner except that a couple of the surgeons are on vacation. Very much looking forward to getting going! Also was happy to see I have lost 11 pounds since I last saw my podiatrist about a month ago, whee!!!

Now how do I set up a cool little ticker under my posts...

edit: found it!!! Go little butterfly!

weight.png

Edited by ShrinkyDink

Hello all,

My name is Laurie,

Im new to the group. I was banded on 7-10-08.

I'm still pretty sore.

I can't wait to learn how to use this site hehehheee.

I'm getting a bit confused. on how to post etc...:)

I was born and raised in Dallas, Texas..

I'm married for 17 yrs. I have a daughter..

home is where the military sends us...

take care, everyone I hope from y'all soon....

Lalindsey

Welcome lauralee...i am also from texas...i was banded on 4/17/2007...i have lost 80 lbs...i paid $15,000.00 and i would do it again...it is worth every penny....good luck to you...i pray that all goes well...please let us know how you are doing..and once again...welcome to lbt...this is a great group...