Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Sylvia, in North Carolina

I am hoping that it won't be long before I can say I have the Band.

I was originally trying to get RNY, but because my liver is not happy, I am going for the band instead. The surgeries both carry the same risks, but the post-op problems can be life threatening. The reason a lot of surgeons give for not doing the surgery is the surgical risk, but to me, you can take extra precautions. The risks are known and can be controlled. Post op problems are not as easy to predict and if you have a problem, that's it. Nothing can be done.

This surgery is reversible, does not cause malabsorption, and so is much safer in the long run. Since I don't want to exchange one problem for another, I've opted for the Lap Band.

I am fortunate in that my insurance, once I get approval, does cover the Band if you have a reason not to do the RNY. My in (so to speak) is the hepatic cirrhosis. My insurance has some pretty stiff requrements but I have memorized them and done my best to jump every hurdle. If the rest of my paperwork comes in soon, they will send me to insurance.

I am hoping to find out the ins and outs of the band. I already know that my biggest obstacle will be the fact that you can manage to eat around the band. I have already lost 54 pounds so I am hoping that I have developed some good habits and can keep the weight coming off and staying off for the rest of my life.

Sylvia

Hey, another NC girl! Welcome! I'm from the Charlotte area. Glad to have you here! I think you will find out lots of good info about banding here. You are right, you can eat around the band. It's not always easy when you are dealing with the head stuff about eating. But it's a much safer alternative, as you stated so well, and it IS possible to get and KEEP that weight off. Good for you!

So, who's your doc? where's your surgery? How much weight do you want to lose? We are nosey around here, spill the Beans.

Check out the NC thread, too. There are a few of us here!

Again, welcome! Hope to hear some more from you!

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm not sure which surgeon will "do" me. I'm using Bariatric Surgeons of NC, Dr. Enochs and Dr. Moran. Dr. Moran tends to do the Lap Band although they say they both work on each case. They are in Raleigh, but they operate at Franklin Regional in Louisburg.

I am still waiting to be sent to insurance. I've been working on getting this surgery since last September, so I'm getting rather antsy.

I started out at 290, in September. I began an insurance required physician guided weightloss program in December. So far, I've lost 55 pounds. I'd like to keep it working by getting the surgery while I am still on the upswing. I am only waiting for some paperwork, then off to insurance.

I'd like to lose another 100 pounds, but I'll be happy with anything I lose. My goal is 150 pounds. Do you think that is realistic. I'm wondering if the fact that I've got a good start will help or hurt.

Now, if I can just get back here. I can't seem to find things once I leave.

Guess I'll have to get used to the forum.

Sylvia

Kathy, My Drs are in Raleigh, operating out of Franklin General, in Lousiburg. They were using Raleigh hospitals but unfortunately, they stopped allowing the surgery about the time I started investigating it.

I am at the point now where I am getting antsy. I've been working on this since last September. I only need one more blood test to be submitted before my case goes to insurance. I've done everything they require, but we know how insurance can be. Even then, my drs don't do insurance so I'm going to have to pay and get reimbursed by insurance. If insurance denies me I'm dead in Water once again. I've had the wind knocked out of me several times now, but I always come back fighting. If insurance denies me, I'm not sure what I'll do.