Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keeping the momentum up??

I decided to go through with the surgery some time in MAY and went to a required seminar in June. Got all my paperwork I needed to sign, no pregnacy, smoking, etc. in July,, now just waiting for my first appointment which is with the shrink..

I was totally into this and determined to lose some weight, recording everything I eat,, (for current dietician) and was exercising again.. Now that I'm just waiting for an appointment I'm slipping, how do I stay motivated. The surgery program I am going to put a new notice on their site today, that they are making almost everyone go on a pre diet even if your insurance doesn't require it,, mine doesn't, and that if you gain weight they will postpone your surgery.. I am terrified.. :eek: I have been struggling with weight gain since my hysterectomy(been overweight since early 20's). I stopped gaining when I stopped taking HRT but I have been unable to lose any.. I am swimming regularly, and know I should be doing some more exercising, but I'm eating less then I ever have and still can't lose.. My clothes fit better but these doctors go by the scale not by inches..

I am curious if after meeting with the shrink, and the dietician that I will feel like there is an end to the waiting and it will motivate me to exercise more and do better,,, did this happen for anyone?? Did anyone feel really pumped about the life style change and get really excited about it.. Lately I have found myself getting more depressed about my weight then I ever have before.. I hate going anywhere, and have resorted to long flowing skirts instead of shorts this summer, and hate to go swimming in public.. I have never cared about any of this before... :blush:

I know that if they called tomorrow and said I was scheduled for surgery I would not be mentally prepared,, I really feel like I need some guidance. I am truly eating the right foods 95% of the time, but am physically hungry all the time and its driving me crazy.. I have just started taking a new generic form of prilosec for GERD and have had weird stomach pains and pangs since.. Could this be the source of my hunger?? It is making it even harder for me to not give in to overeating and its exhausting me mentally. I have an appointment with the dietician and my PCP next week and will definately ask them what to do,, (drinking Water today when feeling strange)

On a lighter note I have been checking things off of my pre op check list.. Went to a shrink on my own for anxiety and she agreed with me that anti depressants won't work... they make me bi polar (its actually a real diagnosis) I am going to see a Behavioral Therapist for my anxiety and panic attacks.. I have more anxiety then panic due to high stress at home and life in general so I am going to learn some coping skills, and hopefully will be able to teach them to my children and avoid them going through what I am,, and what my mother did. I also am having some long overdue dental work done,, need to chew my food more:biggrin:

I was going to apologize for the ramble, but will just thank anyone for taking the time to read this!!! I am having a difficult time finding a support person who will stick with me through this, and not try to police me!!!

But that is another issue...

Hi Wicked!

I noticed no one has replied yet so i will try to tell you my experience... I just finished the whole waiting process and JUST got my surgery date today! It is a TOTAL roller-coaster ride, filled with tons of fist-pumping ups, and quite a few downers. You sound like you have a lot going on with your health right now... Keep in mind that with most insurance companies, once you are authorized to get the surgery, that authorization is good for an entire year! So, my dear, there is no reason to worry that you won't be mentally ready because there is a huuuge time limit for when you can get it done. I think one reason that you are noticing all of these things now, and you never did before, is because for some people the process can become a little obsessive... I know that i had to be very careful because i used to binge and restrict, and i needed to make sure that in doing this diet, i wouldnt slip into an old cycle. If i were you, i found a book that i really connected with called "The carbohydrate Addicts book for success" i know it sounds a little silly, but i think all of the healthy mind/body discussion could be good for ya!

As far as your new pre-op diet goes, pretty much every surgeon i spoke with has their patients go on one. Right now i can have 30carbs a day! Thats ONE orange! The reason for this is that the dr. wants to shrink your liver as much as possible, so that it isnt clocking access to your stomach. It sounds a little weird coming from me, but you can call them and im pretty sure they will tell you the same thing. Reducing your carbs reduces your liver! Plus, it prepares you for your new life!

Please understand that EVERYONE goes through this, just make sure this is something you REALLY want before you go under the knife, i know that i discussed it with my regular therapist for a couple months before i decided to go all the way. Something that kept me motivated during the process was telling my good friends, i have 3 friends who have already called dibbs on half my closet! Dont be afraid to let yourself dream now! Do things you have never done before! I know that i had to make a skinny "bucket list" of all the things i want to do one i lose weight! Try that :blush: Hope i helped! If you need someone, you can always email me at ichatter@aol.com. Good luck my future band-sistah!

Thanks I chatter,, had to spill today and it felt good to just dump and be done with it.. Very good words of wisdom and info. The doctors in the bariactric practice I am going through have a very strict curriculum that they follow, and are very cocky about their percentage of successful outcomes.. I like that, but it terrifies me at the same time. It is why I picked them, because I don't want to have the surgery and not have it work to my full advantage. They demand you keep follow up appointments and have a contract you sign.. Of course they can't make you show up, but will be less likely to go out of their way should you need their assistance if you don't follow through with the requirements. I am going to a therapist for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to resolve any issues now. I don't have any compulsive eating habits, just always have a clean plate!! I think once I have a date for the first few appointments I really will feel like its real and will get back on track and stay on track. I want to learn some of the eating habits now so that it isn't so hard later..

I have done a bit of dreaming of what could be, but went to the old mode of "don't get ahead of yourself".. I guess that way of thinking needs to go,,, right now.. I will start envisioning myself dancing again, and playing outside with my kids and not feeling like I'm going to pass out...

Hope to see your post on your first appt...