Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you eat after a fill

Why doesn't my doc have me do liquids? He also says no fluids at least 20 min before meal and 1 1/2 hrs after, why is my doc so different?

bandofgold . . . Your doctor is probably talking about your REGULAR band diet. Once you are off of your post-op diet, most people stop doing shakes (well, some people use them for convenience or because they are tight when they first wake up in the morning). But what we're talking about is the first 24-48 hours after a fill. Once you are "recovered" from your fill (which only takes 1-2 days as opposed to the post-op diet, which is typically longer), then you resume the regular lap-band diet (probably of Protein solids) as your doctor suggests.

Now, YOUR doctor may not want you to do liquids for 24 hours after a fill. If so, then FOLLOW YOUR DOCTOR'S ADVICE. Always, always, always follow your doctor's advice.

But, the overwhelming majority of doctors seem to be suggesting a very short amount of time on liquids following each fill.

In that case, you might want to call your doctor and seek clarification just to be sure that you aren't supposed to do 24 hours of liquids after a fill, too.

Does that make sense?

I wanted to clarify in a list because I sound a little rambling. This is what a lot of doctors seem to recommend (but not all):

1. Pre-op diet (aka the liver shrinking diet) - not all doctors require this and all pre-op diets seem to be a little different, though most are high Protein and many are high-protein liquids.

2. Surgery day. No food.

3. Post-op diet phase 1: Clear Liquids (duration varies by doctor).

4. Post-op diet phase 2: full liquids (again, duration varies by doctor).

5. Post-op diet phase 3: mushies (varies by doctor).

6. Post-op diet phase 4: soft foods (varies by doctor).

7. Regular lap-band diet (meaning, you can eat a wide variety of foods, they don't have to be soft or liquid anymore, but to maximize your efforts, you should have the healthy food first and follow the lapband rules of no drinking while eating, etc. FOLLOW YOUR DOCTOR'S RULES).

8. Fill. Return to liquids for 24-48 hours.

9. Resume regular lap-band diet.

I hope that helps clarify why everyone's talking about liquids.

Dear SanDiego,

I totally understand what you are saying, and I know what my doc said to do, My confusion is why my doc doesn't have me doing liquids when the majority do. However, I do not have any problems with solids and I don't feel tight in the A.M., I have only had one fill so maybe down the road I will have to do liquids. thanx so much for your reply, it really means alot to me that I have help beyond the doc's office.