Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally after all these years...

I am getting the lap band surgery.whoo hoo!

I have always been over weight all my life and have fought to get some sort of surgery for years thinkin it was the only answer. My husband even became apart of the isurance bored at his job to educate them on the benfits of the surgery . But being that i had no health problems at that present time they continued to say we are lookin into it . Only to be turned down several times b4 from other insurance companies.

Well in Feb.2007 on my birthday I went to the dr. right after me and my girlfriend from work decided we were gonna go do weight watchers together . She had never done it and was scared but i had made my mind up it wasnt going to fall off by its self . so we started and each others support and the groups were great . we both were hand and hand for a good while . we were looseing pretty good together .The support groups were great but after about 6 months we were getting bored and stuck in a rut . We both had lost about 50 lbs and people were really starting to notice and we were really feeling great . Then she went and got pregant on me .So I lost my partner . SO i kinda eased off and decided to take a break but still try and do it on my own . i did pretty good for awhile but there were alot of changes going on in my life at this point .I had turned 35 in feb and that day i went to the dr he told me i was borderline diabetic and had a thyroid prob. My blood pressure was always good but that day it was elevated probably because of all the "great" news he was giving me .So needless to say i left with many prescriptions and diabtiec poke ur finger machine 3 times aday and much more . well bull crap was i living like that.

He decided that he needed to change insurance. He had pretty much always supported my decision but thought i didn't need the surgery even though he had went to the seminars with me.But as my husband he supported me either way . i had often thought of ways to self pay but there was just no money fallin out of the sky for me .

So finally ....

I said what the heck . let me go one more time on this new insurance and see what they have to say . Supposeably they were going to cover it when he decided to change to the military insurance ( in which he is just a reservist). So in june i made a appt to listen to the seminar and to talk to Dr. Spiegel. Been there and done that so i was just there half hearted . Just going thru the process yet again to see what the insurance would say .

Of course at this point i had takeing other messures to contorl my weight . i started to work out at our local gym and after a few weeks i decided to go to a dr and get the growth hormone shots. had been doing that for about 4 months .so lost about another 20 lbs, which when i had stopped weight watchers i had gained a few lbs back so i was back tracking also.So as of my time to go see Dr. speigel i had lost about 70 lbs since feb 2007. pretty good i thought but now i am at this point i felt like i still needed a life change . i knew what to eat and how to exercise but still need to control the amount . so thats where i come in to the band at .

Back to the seminar went and listened loved the attitude the staff had and the statistics they gave on past clients and his surgery rates and such . left there haveing mixed emotions . I felt like oh here we go again and how long is the process gonna be before they say no again. So went home saying well i have done my part now lets just wait. Then the office calls me and says we need a referral from ur dr. I was like here we go . But i had talked to my obgyn b4 and she said she would gladly do that for me. so i got her email and emailed her with what i needed and she got right back to me asking me to list all my diets and what i was doing at the present time to control my weight . She wrote a fabulous referal listing my weight b4 i started weight watchers and my current weight when i had just saw her. and all the iets i had tried and what i was doing at the present time. i couldnt have asked for her to be more prompt with it and more efficent . Well i had to go to my reg dr also for script refills so i went ahead and had him right one also. Figured it cant hurt . Well after i talked to him he had said he was impressed i had lost so much weight on my own but both dr's knew that it is only a temporary fix and both stated it. So i had stayed on the lap band office to make sure they were getting the communications and such with ins and my dr office to know they were sending in the referals to the ins co. My reg dr even went ahead and did blood work because he said there gonna want updated blood work . makeing sure ur thyroid and such is all good. went straight from there and did that and so now just wait till they tell me at the drs off ice what to do next . According to them i was gonna have ab0out 4 or 5 things to accomplish b4 i could have the surgery if they approved it.

I went the last week of june to listen to the seminar and as of sat july 12 .i had a approval! She called me from the office and said i have a approval for u ! i thought she was joking . I said ok what do i have to do now. She said schedule ur appt and u can have this friday . I was like WHAT! r u kidding me ? I have waited so long to hear those words and now it was reality and i was going to have this life change . I could not believe it

So i called her back monday and said ok lets schedule well by then the dr wasnt going to be there this friday but she would make me for next friday . i was like omg ur really gonna make me wait after getting me all worked up and decided that was fine it would give me time to take care of some things and to eat all i wanted b4 the surgery. LOL

well then today she calls and says ok he has changed his schedule again we can either do it this friday or aug 1st . well heck yeah bring it on . so this friday it is . i go for my pre-op tommorrow and surgery on friday at 5:30 am . I cant wait and i intend to keep the progress up so i can track for anyone in my same situations .

Not very good at bragging about myself . But guess what i am about to get better. LOL

FYI ... as of feb 2007 my peak weight was 398 as of july 2008 I am 330. Can't wait till i am 230!

I am so happy for you!! My date is August 1st. I was turned down a few years ago by 2 different ins co's too.

Wow Congrats!! Im having surgery on friday too!! We will be banded buddies :frown:

Hey girl! That is so exciting! This Friday, wow! You are going to be one hot chick....you are already GORGEOUS!

I met with Dr. Teng today and have my surgery scheduled for August 14th, so I am pumped! Going to get my cardiology consult, upper GI, and lab work done, and I should be just about ready to go.

Good luck with your surgery!:frown:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Alisa_S

Saw my PCP & officially started my 6 month supervised diet 07/26/24. She just told me to eat less carbs & sugar, use the air fryer and not fry my foods in grease, and to try to walk 30 minutes 3 days a week & if I can't do that (and I cannot), to walk 10 minutes daily. Told me to walk fast enough that my heart rate is raised.  She didn't give me a number as far as calories though. A year or so ago I was doing low carb/sugar free and keeping my calories at 1800 or below. She said I should up my cals to 2000 at that time, so that's what I'm shooting for now.
      Hubby walked with me today. He's in pretty bad shape so I was surprised he wanted to. We walked down the gravel road at a pretty good pace (for us LOL). 10 minutes walking and my heart rate was 115bps according to my Fitbit and 125bps according to his pulsometer. Either way, it was elevated and I was breathing hard. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a start. We'll do it again tomorrow. 😁
      I should be hearing from the surgeon soon. She said if I didn't, to call him next week. Since I HAVE to do the 6 month diet & that's going to put me into January by the time it's done, I'm hoping the surgeon will let me do all my testing in January. I don't want to do it all now and have my deductible get met, only to have to pay the deductible again in January or February for my surgery. Praying that things go the way I hope. 🙏
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • jparadigm

Depressed lately...
      Losing very slowly because I'm not doing anything I'm supposed to be doing. No motivation to eat properly or go to gym. Scared....
      · 1 reply
      1. Alisa_S

I'm so sorry you're depressed, but remember why you put yourself thru this surgery! You didn't do all of that for nothing. You've got this! You are strong! Lift your head up and get back in this! Go back to the basics if you need to.

You did this for you, don't let yourself down.

• stanley_imarc

IMARC Group’s report titled “Alternative Sweeteners Market Report by Product Type (High Fructose Syrup, High-Intensity Sweeteners, Low-Intensity Sweeteners), Source (Natural, Synthetic), Application (Food, Beverages, and Others), and Region 2024-2032”. The global alternative sweeteners market size reached US$ 4.9 Billion in 2023. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market to reach US$ 7.0 Billion by 2032, exhibiting a growth rate (CAGR) of 4.05% during 2024-2032.
      Grab a sample PDF of this report: https://www.imarcgroup.com/alternative-sweeteners-market/requestsample
      Factors Affecting the Growth of the Alternative Sweeteners Industry:
      Health Consciousness: The increasing awareness among individuals about the health issues linked to high sugar consumption, such as obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases, is supporting the market growth. Consumers are becoming more health-conscious and seeking products that can provide sweetness without the negative health effects associated with sugar. This shift in consumer preferences is leading to a greater demand for low-calorie and natural sweeteners like stevia, monk fruit, and erythritol. These sweeteners offer the added benefit of having minimal impact on blood glucose levels, making them suitable for diabetic and health-conscious individuals.
      Technological Advancements: Innovations in the production and formulation of alternative sweeteners are impelling the market growth. Advancements in biotechnology and food science are leading to the development of high-intensity sweeteners with improved taste profiles and functional properties. Innovations in fermentation processes enhance the production efficiency and quality of natural sweeteners like stevia and monk fruit. These technological improvements are making alternative sweeteners more appealing to both manufacturers and consumers. Enhanced stability, solubility, and sweetness intensity allow these sweeteners to be used in a wide range of products, ranging from beverages to baked goods.
      Consumer Trends and Preferences: Evolving consumer trends and preferences are playing a significant role in driving the alternative sweeteners market. The growing demand for clean-label products, which are healthier and free from artificial ingredients, is offering a favorable market outlook. Consumers are increasingly seeking natural and plant-based sweeteners, aligning with broader trends toward plant-based diets and veganism. Besides this, there is an increase in the demand for low-calorie and sugar-free alternatives that support weight management and overall wellness. Food and beverage companies are responding to these trends by innovating and expanding their product lines to include options sweetened with alternative sweeteners, thereby catering to changing tastes and health concerns of modern consumers.
      Alternative Sweeteners Market Report Segmentation:
      By Product Type:
      High Fructose Syrup High-Intensity Sweeteners Low-Intensity Sweeteners High-intensity sweeteners represent the largest segment as they require only a fraction of the quantity to achieve the desired sweetness.
      By Source:
      Natural Synthetic On the basis of the source, the market has been bifurcated into natural and synthetic.
      By Application:
      Food Beverages Others Food accounts for the largest market share due to the rising utilization of sweeteners in a wide variety of food products.  
      Regional Insights:
      North America (United States, Canada) Asia Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, Others) Europe (Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Russia, Others) Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, Others) Middle East and Africa Asia Pacific region enjoys a leading position in the alternative sweeteners market on account of changing lifestyles of individuals.    
      Global Alternative Sweeteners Market Trends:
      Governing agencies and health organizations of several countries are implementing policies to reduce sugar consumption as they recognize its detrimental health impacts. Various regulatory bodies are approving alternative sweeteners for use, ensuring their safety and efficacy. These approvals provide food and beverage manufacturers with the confidence to incorporate alternative sweeteners into their products. Additionally, initiatives like sugar taxes in several countries are pushing companies to seek healthier alternatives to traditional sugar.   
      Furthermore, advancements in production techniques are making some alternative sweeteners more cost-competitive than traditional sugar. Consumers are becoming more concerned about the environmental impact of traditional sugar production and preferring more sustainable alternative sweeteners.
      Note: If you need specific information that is not currently within the scope of the report, we will provide it to you as a part of the customization.
      About Us
      IMARC Group is a leading market research company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses.
      IMARC Group’s information products include major market, scientific, economic and technological developments for business leaders in pharmaceutical, industrial, and high technology organizations. Market forecasts and industry analysis for biotechnology, advanced materials, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, travel and tourism, nanotechnology and novel processing methods are at the top of the company’s expertise.
      Contact US
      IMARC Group
      134 N 4th St. Brooklyn, NY 11249, USA
      Email: sales@imarcgroup.com
      Tel No:(D) +91 120 433 0800
      United States: +1–631–791–1145 | United Kingdom: +44–753–713–2163

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Luis E. Lara

Hi everyone, I'm nerw here ☺️
      · 1 reply
      1. Alisa_S

Welcome!

I've been a member since 2008, but just now decided to go ahead with surgery. Barely getting started 😁

• Liz R

Trying to update my ticker - I'm down 100 pounds!! 
      · 1 reply
      1. Alisa_S

I don't know how to update the ticker, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches