Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you tell me the name of the test they give you before surgery?

Guest BikiniBeachy

I had my Upper GI yesterday. Boy oh boy do I wish I had done the endoscopy instead! The liquid chalk wasn't too bad going down and the xrays only took about five minutes. It's the chalk coming back out that's the problem. I had a belly ache all yesterday. I drank lots of Water as suggested but that chalk sat in my gut like a painful bowling ball. Today it's been nothing but gas and going to the bathroom. I am so glad I am on summer vacation from work because my co-workers wouldn't be enjoying my constant gas and going to the bathroom. I aide an autistic child on a school bus and there's certainly no bathroom on a bus. Sorry if this is TMI.

Lisa

I didn't even have to do the barium part. I just had an esophageal scope. Took all of 10 minutes, was only slightly uncomfortable, and everything went well.

My doctor said that when there is a history of GERD, they want to see if there is any scar tissue, or narrowing. Just know what is happening before they get ready to put the band on.

Oh, and my surgeon did my scope. Gave me a good insight into her bedside manner. When all was said and done, she was so gentle as she wiped the drool from my cheek! Very comforting...

Hello,

Were you completley under sedation when they did the scope? What was uncomfortable about the procedure? My doc wants me to have one as a pre op test and I'm a little nervous. I am hoping I will be asleep when they do it.

Will the postpone surgery if you have a high hba1c. That means high nlood sugars:sad:

My dr's would if it's real high. But they'd help you get it under control REAL fast.

Teri

Well, Yvonne, I don't want to panic you, but I was awake. There was talk of Versed, but it didn't happen. I was aware of all that went on, and it wasn't that big of a deal. Dr. put a bite guard in my mouth, to keep me from chomping down on the expensive equipment, and then I swallowed the scope. Took less time to do the test than it did to do the set-up.

I'm not 'macho' or anything like that. I really thought I would be sedated, but it turned out OK to not be The doctor talked me through it, and before I knew it we were finished. I got out of the hospital sooner, because I wasn't drugged, and felt better the rest of the day.

Will the postpone surgery if you have a high hba1c. That means high nlood sugars:sad:

I think that a high A1C test would be an indication for quicker surgery. But that's just IMHO.

All the best to you,

Sarah H.

Ok, now I am panicking..(smile) Just kidding, hopefully my doctor will stick to sedating me. I like the idea that its a realy quick procedure maybe I'll ask about not being sedated if its real quick and the scope is small. Thanks for letting me know about your experience.