Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Volumetric Incentive Spirometer

they should give you one post op...all hospitals have them. Ask your pcm if he can get you one, or ask someone that works in a hospital.

If it is what I think it is, I was given one in the hospital to use and bring home with me. Mine was a flexible tube I blew into and tried to raise a ball or other gizmo to a certain level. You shouldn't have to buy one.

You will only use it a short time. When you start getting up and moving around, coughing and deep breathing, you will no longer need it. It opens up your "lung sacs" to keep them from getting "stuck together" andt will also help you avoid atlectasis (a collapsed or airless condition of the lung) and pneumonia.

Hmm...I didn't use one of those for surgery.

You may not need one for an outpatient surgery unless you have lung issues. I think out of the 7 surgeries that I have had, I only used one after my hysterectomy...and I only used it a couple of times.

I am required to use it hourly while in the hospital, afterwards, they just want me to move around and walk (although I do get to keep it as a parting gift...LOL).

It is to help you breathe better after surgery. It was recommended in my surgery packet. Just wondering if anybody has used it, and if it helped.

My partner had one that she had to inhale rather than blow into. The doctor said to use it until she got back to a normal routine, and she was right. My partner didn't use it often enough, and it made the first few days pretty hard for her. Consider it as part of your post-surgery healing procedures. And when you're done with it, you can give it to the kids for a science experiment. It's kinda fun looking.

BadgerMom

Mine gave me one during my pre-op testing and I had to bring it to the hospital with me. I think it was useful. I did the required breathing and could see improvement daily.