Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band done 5/15/08

Hi everyone I need some advise or re-assurance. I had my first fill on 6/20/08 and have gained 6 lbs. I don't eat alot (a small plateful) but I cna't figure out what the problem is. I was able to eat a day after the fill. Is is normal? I suppose I need a bigger fill but that willl be in two more months. I feel full and all but what is wrong with me?

well you probably will not get restriction till one or two more fills and i fluctuate five lbs depending on how much salt i have eaten.

Wow Cathy, that's a long time between fills. I was banded on May 15th and I've had 4 fills. I'm not sure I'm at my "sweet spot" yet either... in fact I know I'm not, but I'm controlling what I'm eating pretty well, and losing weight, so I don't know if I'll go for my next fill next week. Oh and yes, I can eat the day after a fill. A lot of doctors have their patients on liquids or mushies for a period of time after a fill though.

Are you keeping track of what you eat.... calories, Protein, carbs, etc.? That's where I would start, in trying to figure out why you're gaining instead of losing. But on the other hand, my nutritionist told me they don't really expect us to lose weight until we start getting fills.

I think it's really important to look at what you are eating. Make sure you are looking at calories AND carbohydrate amounts. Just because something in low fat, there could be a lot of sugars or higher carbs. Start with measuring 1/2 cup-1 cup, not a "small plate" amount. I literally put my food into a small Pampered Chef glass bowl that's used for measuring. I know it mentally looks small, but it's plenty once I'm eating. Have you had other tests done for hyperthyroidism or PCOS? I have PCOS so I expect to have a slower time, but I've been lucky so far and only 1 fill. Talk to your doctor. It seems pretty important. I also was surprised to hear 3 months between fills. I'm 3 weeks until my next one. Keep us posted.

humm i did that to i was banded on the 5th of may this yr and i lost then gain then lost what i gain the gained i dont know wth happend my doc told me eat til i get full make healthy choicr font count but i think i should any one feel different ??

sorry bout that...doc say dont count anything but i work out drink Water good lord and this is what i have to look forword too whats up?

sorry to hear that =[

But yeah what you eat is very important, also drink lots and lots of Water that helps, another thing that makes a big diffrence is if you go to the bathroom alot, not to be nasty, but it makes a huge diffrence.

hi Cathy, sorry to hear that you're having problems. :tongue_smilie:

what's a typical menu like for you? are you eating Protein first then veggies then minimal carbs?

are you logging your food? are you exercising? sounds like you really need a fill - why wait? is it your surgeon's directive?

good luck.

Hi thanks for all the help I will have to start logging what I eat I drink alot of Water per day (thats all I drink) but I am doing something wrong I guess I am now at my sx weight ( very discouraged now) I haven't heard from my dr yet as to when i can get a fill but I am calling again today. I need to see some weight loss to feel better about what I did I know it will happen . Thanks to everyone