Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here--questions to all banded sister

Hello Ladies,

So im new here as of last week I've been doing research on the LapBand I never wanted to do the GBY since I think is an aggressive procedure so after all my research I think the best choice for me is LapBand. I have my Dr. Appt. July 24. I have greatwest and from my conversation today, they do approve it. So here are my main questions. Ok first off Im 30 years old and I weight 285 :confused_smile: (I have no clue how I've done this to myself) SO my main concern is do you really loose weight and does this really work. I mean all of us are here because we do not eat properly we overeat even when we are full at least I do. Im being honest!!! So those of you who have done the lapband please tell me your experience with it when it comes to cravings, feeling full. Ive read a lot of post saying they can still eat everything they did before but dont do it and the only thing I can thik is " Why have the surgery then, the whole point is so it helps you and restricts what you can eat so you dont over eat. Please HEEEELP

The Lapband is a TOOL. It is not a miracle. It is not "the easy way out". It is a MAJOR lifestyle change and commitment on your part. You feel the restriction and should feel full, but if you are constantly ingesting high calorie foods, then it will be a waste of money for you.

This is why most surgeons and insurance companies require you to go to a nutritionist and psychological consult before surgery.

You need to read this board and go to an informational meeting. Almost any hospital that does lapband surgery has free meetings that you can just walk into. Educate yourself and your support people (family/friends). Read everything you can get your hands on. Then question whether you can commit to this. You will read here that it has changes many lives, that it is a lifesaver. You will also read stories of failure.

Good luck in your decision!

I had my band for two years, I lost weight after my band slipped because I threw up all the time. When I first got my band I was hungry all the time. Once I heal from having band removed I plan on having sleeve. That's just me.

When I first started to lose weight I weighed 320 lbs at 5'8" tall. I couldn't walk at a rate of 2 on the treadmill. I lost about 35 lbs by omitting carbs, sugar, alcohol and walking on the treadmill. I was banded June of 06 at 282 lbs. At first I lost my hunger then it naturally came back as the healing progressed. I am an average loser at 1 lb a week. You have to be patient with the band, Sometimes it takes months to reach your sweet spot. If you are too tight sometimes it is hard to get in good nutrition. . You have to really work with your surgeon to make sure your aftercare is good. I have a very fickle band so just this week 25 months later I found my sweet spot. I havenb't been there in at least 1 year. I am about 20 lbs from goal with a stretch goal of another 15 lbs. I went from a size 24-26 to a size 16. My goal is a lose 16. I have a lot of insight about restriction because I have been through so much with my band. It can be a tricky thing to get to your sweeet spot. Sometimes I do PB but that is if I really push it and eat too much or too fast. I can't eat eggs at all unless they are hard broiled. I do enjoy all foods. I eat sashimi (sushi) but can't get sushi down because of the rice. I eat all foods including Pasta and rice, just less of them. I have the worlds best surgeon who is on call 24x7 for his patients. Aftercare is really important and can get quite costly if your fills aren't covered. So make sure you take care of that. The band is a tool. You will still need to exercise and eat right. Ice cream goes down too good. Best of luck to you with your band, You can PM me if you want more details. Julie from CA.