Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid Question...need advice!

:confused:Ok I have seen quite a few postings about acid reflux...but nothing recent.

Maybe someone can help me.

I had a surgery March 7th 2008. Just had a fill on June 25th. I think it was my 4th? anyway the fill prior to this one left me feeling yucky!! I couldnt eat anything!! most of my diet was liquid. When I went in for my next fill I explained to the doctor what was happening and that I thought I needed an unfill. He suggested, if I didnt mind my diet being mostly liquid,that we could skip the fill that day and that in a few weeks the tissue around the band would shrink and he was right.. in a few weeks I was able to eat "band normal". Ok soo flash forward I just had a fill on June 25th. Same trouble. I cant keep anything down and NOW I am even having trouble drinking. Ok sooo here is the REAL problem. Yesterday and today I have had what I think is ACID REFLUX.. It wakes me up out of a dead sleep and I feel like I am choking on whatever is coming up(sorry). I have my next appt July 23rd. should I ask for an UNFILL?? does this mean I am too tight? are my insides just irritated from Pb'ing?? and does anyone have any suggestions on how to help those insides "relax" or calm down from the Pb'ing?? I dont want an unfill if I REALLY dont need it. I know I know!! I probably need it!:confused_smile:

~Destynee990~

I have a few suggestions. First, what time of the night is your last meal? Make sure you are eating early. Seconds I would take a daily dose of an antiacid like Prilosec, even 2 times a day would be good. If this doesn't help in a couple days I would go in for a slight unfill. How big was your fill? I would take out .3 first then maybe .2 if that doesn't help. Reflux is a sign of being too tight. Good luck to you. Its not fun I know.

I recommend getting an unfill asap! I had the same problem and let it go for about 6 weeks until I got an unfill. Since then I have been struggling with acid reflux for over a year. I had never had any experience with it before and I fully attribute my problems to being too tight and ignoring it for too long. Believe me, you do not want it to get worse. I eventually had to get a complete unfill because I was having such bad reflux that I started throwing up blood from how torn up my esophagus and stomach had gotten. The prilosec and other acid reducers made it tolerable but not cured and if I forget to take them I still have problems.

The band will work. No need to rush it and live so miserably!

I had the same symptoms for 3 months....acid reflux, PB's, etc - I thought it was an ulcer (felt just like the ulcer I'd had a few years ago)......got an EGD - not an ulcer, after all - it was a band that was too tight. I just didn't realize that was what it would do to you. I ended up having a severe slippage (2 of them, in fact) because of the damage I did that 3 months - now I'm scheduled to have my band replaced.:confused_smile:

OMG! thank you to everyone for the advice. I have my appt next week so I wont be putting it off much longer!! thanks!!

~Destynee990~

Meal?? lol I cant eat anything! ok small sips of Soup? ? umm small sips of drinks.. I am USUALLY done "trying" to eat...by umm 2 or 3. I don't remember how much my fill was, I know thats bad. I need to write stuff down! I do remember he said it was a VERY small amount since I am "way ahead of the game" with my weight loss. This is EXACTLY how I felt when I got my last fill. I had been going in every 4 weeks. After that fill I went in for my NEXT sched fill and thats when I told him I had been on mostly liquids. Since my bloodwork was ok. He said he would put off my fill for 6 weeks and that would be enough time to have a little of the swelling go down. Which would cause the tissue around the band to shrink and in turn I would be able to eat! I thought that might be what was happening this time since its not even been QUITE 4 weeks since my fill. I just got a little concerned because this whole ACID REFLUX thing is all new to me... I have NEVER had this problem b4. I almost thought I just irriatated everything by not really doing only liquids after Pb'ing.. I keep INSISTING today will be the day I can eat something solid. I will def. mention all this to my doctor next week. I just wanted to try something in the meantime.