Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a new member JUST beginning ....

Guest maremee1498

Guest maremee1498

Hi everyone, my name is Barb and I also live in the saint louis metro area (actually in St. Peters). I am 43, and I weigh 240. This is the heaviest I have ever been. I was diagnosed with diabetes almost 11 years ago. My latest hemoglobin A1-c was 9.6. My doctor has said I am showing signs of kidney disease from the diabetes. I have been overweight my whole life, and I suppose my story really isn't any different than alot of them here. I have tried and tried to lose weight. The only time I was successful was when I was pregnant with my first child at 40. I lost weight so that the day I delivered I weighed the exact same weight that I did when I found out I was pregnant. Within a week I was down to 212 (my lowest weight in almost 20 years). I felt pretty good but with a newborn didn't quite have the energy to actually DO anything. So here I am almost 3 years later and 30 lbs heavier. It can't go on. I don't really know where to go or anything, like I said I am just starting this journey. I don't even have a consultation scheduled yet because I don't really know where to start or cost or anything. The only thing I have found out so far is that insurance won't pay for it...for any reason apparently. It really sucks because you would think they would want you well so you weren't sucking them dry with all the other problems associated with obesity. My dr has told me I am a great candidate for the surgery so that is at least exciting to me.

Anyway, I want to keep reading your inspiring stories and hope to become motivated to try and get some more research in.

Thanks for the welcome!

Barb

Welcome Barb! You will find lots of information here just for the taking. Browse though all the older posts as well as the new ones.

Good luck with your journey!

Hi Barb, welcome from another newbee. I know the feeling, no matter how fast you run you don't move an inch. It is very frustrating. I don't know what kind of insurance you have but I do know that the rules are changing. More insurance companies are getting on the boat for the simple reason that they are being pressured by the public. My insurance originally would not pay for any assistance, then it was only if I had been unsuccessfully treated for my obesity for 3 years without success and then they wanted to do bypass or stomach stapling. This last September they actually agreed to pay for the lapbanding since we could prove medical necessity and it is quite a bit cheaper than the other two procedures. Hang in there. They will eventually come around but you have to inquire frequently or, in other words, pester your insurance contact person until they are sick of hearing from you. Good luck and don't give up!

Hi Barb,Welcome!

well you have come to the right place to get lost of useful info on the band.

I wish you the best as you begin this awesome journey ;)

Barb,

Like Cathy said, insurance companies are changing. How did you find out that they wouldn't cover the surgery?? Did you just call and speak to a representative? No offense to the insurance reps out there.....I did it with Empire BCBS for six years....maybe the rep gave you the wrong information. You would be better off having the doctor that you choose submit a letter of predetermination with copies of your records.....Then that way, you would have more accurate information and with a paper denial you could perhaps appeal their decision. '

Good luck with everything. This is an awesome group! You will find so much helpful info here!!

Talk to you soon!

I would recommend starting by going to two or three seminars in St. Louis and finding a doctor that you like and feel comfortable with. Insurance may cover it and it may be excluded, (which is a whole different subject that requires lots of discussion). If it's excluded by your insurance the costs seem to be consistently around $16,000.00. That's for the hospital and doctor and pretty cheap for changing your life. My last colonoscopy was over $4000.00.

Get information, talk to support people and if you can find someone who has had the procedure. We saw an aquaintace whom we hadn't seen in a few months and she looked so good. When we asked what she did she was very proud to tell us Lap Band. We've seen her again and just seeing her is an inspiration.