Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Water is SO Important - especially for bandsters

I found this posting of information by another veteran bandster that had taken the time to research this and I thought it was so helpful and thorough that I wanted to share it here also.

"The importance of adequate Water intake cannot be over-emphasized for Bandsters serious about healthy weight loss. Drinking enough water is more than "a good thing to do" or "kind of important." Adequate water intake is ESSENTIAL to our health and well-being, and especially in any weight-loss attempts. The body interprets HUNGER the same as it interprets THIRST. Many times, when you feel hungry, you really need WATER, not food.

First, a few facts about WATER: (taken from a variety of resources)

1. It comprises about 60-70% of the adult body, and 80% of a child’s body.
  2. Your lungs are 90% water. Muscles are 75% water. Your brain is 95% water.
  3. A water deficit of only 1 quart (32 ounces) greatly slows circulation and impairs brain function.
  4. Thirst is a very poor indicator of hydration level. By the time you are noticeably thirsty, you are already fairly dehydrated and your body is struggling. You won’t feel thirsty until you are at least 1-2% dehydrated. A 2% dehydration results in a 15%-20% loss of mental and physical performance.
  5. Regular water intake throughout the day is much better than a lot at once.
  6. Symptoms of early dehydration include HEADACHE, DIZZINESS, FATIGUE, NAUSEA, VOMITING.
  7. An average person loses 80 ounces of water a day simply through breathing, perspiring, and other normal body functions. This DOES NOT take into account extra loss through the extra perspiration, and muscle, and lung work of exercise. This extra loss must be replaced as well.
  8. In one hour of light exercise, the body loses more than 1 quart (32 oz) of water.
  9. You can live less than a week withou water. You can live many weeks without food.

Now, what does water (good hydration) do for ALL people?

1. It lubricates the organs and joints
  2. Reduces the risk of colon cancer, especially in women
  3. Reduces the risk of urinary tract infections, especially important for women.
  4. Keeps skin moist and soft, reduces aging effects, and aids skin in healing
  5. Helps maintain muscle tone
  6. Helps regulate body temperature
  7. Carries essential elements like Potassium, Calcium, and sodium to the cells
  8. Helps maintain sinus health – especially important with allergies
  9. Is used as fuel by the body (fuel is not just food)
  10. Aids digestion in a great number of ways.
  11. Suppresses the appetite
  12. Aids in breakdown of fat
  13. Helps digest Fiber
  14. Helps maintain good bowel health and regularity
  15. Prevents sagging skin from weight loss
  16. Increases metabolism
  17. Keeps mucous thin and loose – especially important for Bandsters!
  18. Helps maintain kidney function and helps the kidneys excrete broken-down fat
  19. Moistens oxygen for breathing
  20. Helps decrease menstrual bloating
  21. Decreases Fluid retention from various illnesses and dehydration
  22. New studies are relating even a slight, ongoing dehydration with increased rates of breast CA
  23. Assists in healing from wounds or surgery
  24. Cushions the internal organs
  25. Reduces the incidence of heart attack and stroke
  26. Dilutes stomach acid to reduce GERD

HOW MUCH water is ENOUGH WATER ??

As cited earlier, normal body functions (breathing, walking, eating, perspiring, etc) uses up at least 80 ounces a day of bodily fluid. This is the basis for the commonly-stated need of (8) 8-ounce glasses of water a day. This fluid, plus the fluid in normal foods, will equate to the needed 80-100 oz a day adult humans need.

BANDSTERS AND WATER

Since Bandsters are consuming a lesser volume of food in general, and more of it is SOLID foods with a lower WATER content than the average person, BANDSTERS need to be drinking a lot more water than the average person. ALL fluids count - not just plain water. It was once thought that drinking coffee and other caffeinated beverages caused dehydration, but this is since disproven. Bandsters, therefore, need about 80-100 oz a day from the liquids we DRINK.

How water particularly benefits Bandsters:

1. Keeps the mucous thin and functional. Especially important if you are "sliming" or . PB’ing !
  2. Maintaining very good hydration helps minimize restriction variations – a very important issue.
  3. Helps keep the mucous membranes healthy and able to resist damage if you PB or or expose the membranes to damage from acids (citrus, coffee, soda, etc) or medications
  4. Drinking a large glass of water right before eating will moisten your mouth and esophagus, making it easier not to drink with meals. This is called "water-loading" and also decreases your hunger and fills you.
  5. Drinking a large glass of water when you think you are feeling "hunger" often resolves the "hunger." (The body feels hunger and thirst the same way)
  6. Decreases the risk of the Constipation, which can be a problem for Bandsters.
  7. Increases the metabolism to assist in burning calories
  8. Helps the kidneys excrete all the fat you are breaking down
  9. It’s entirely possible to get TOO MUCH WATER. Excesses are NOT needed, and can be harmful for those with diabetes, kidney disease, heart or Blood Pressure problems, or many other illnesses. Never consume more than the above without specific input from your physician. Some illnesses require a LESSER fluid intake.

ARE * YOU * GETTING ENOUGH WATER??

The easiest way to tell is looking at your urine color – before it is diluted in the toilet water. An easy trick to do this is to put a thin layer of toilet tissue on top of the toilet bowl water and urinate onto it. Urine from a well-hydrated person in only slightly yellowish, almost CLEAR. Any degree more color means you are dehydrated, unless your urine is dark from kidney or liver disease, or unneeded mega-doses of Vitamins that are being excreted. "

Posted by Sandy R. on Obesity Help.com

I saw this article and thought it was very good and interesting. The only thing that confused me was the "Water loading" thing drinking right before eating.....according to my doctor nothing to drink 30 minutes before..

Now I can understand the not drinking during and after (makes sense) but the before meal drink?????

I am however going to follow my Doc's orders to a T....... but it sure would be great to have Water or another drink before a meal especially when eating out......

Very good post indeed! Since getting my band I have had a problem with low blood pressure. I have had dizzy and nausea problems. I had dry mouth so bad it was almost choking me. Interesting to learn (after seeing my doctor ) I was dehydrated. I did not know that dehydration could cause low blood pressure, heck I didn't really know I was dehydrated. I have always tried to drink Water but when I was honest with myself and kept a journal I was surprised to find I really wasn't drinking much of anything. Very good info to have and to share! Thanks! :unsure: