Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I thoight I was the only one!

There was a news story last week about research showing the number of healthy 90-year-olds has increased amazingly in the last 20 years or so, believed to be due to emphasis on healthier eating and exercise as we age. Lucky US! That gives us an extra 20-30 years to enjoy our slimmer, healthier bodies. And that is the key - enjoy ALL of your years. I guess that's why I don't worry in case I turn out to be a slow loser. What's the rush? Every pound lost is a pound healthier and I intend to make the most of them. I wish this had been available to me years ago but it wasn't. I am blessed to have this opportunity now and very thankful for it.

Best of everything to all - eat healthy and get in some exercise today!

YOUNG AT HEART: Talk about scared, I didn't pass the cardiac exam. The cardiologist thought there was a blockage. They insisted on an angiogram. $18,100 later they decided there was no blockage. Luckily my insurance should pay 80% of the angiogram, but still that's nearly $4,000 more than I thought I'd have to come up with. The good news is I know my heart is clear. I'm still doing good. Still a bit sore, otherwise things are great. I go Friday for my nutrition class to help me transition onto soft then solid foods. That kind of scares me. I've read so much about things getting stuck. Good luck with your surgeon. Where do you live? I'm in Anaheim, Ca.

GRANNYBEAR

GRANNYBEAR:I know what you mean being scared when it comes to the heart because I have been there also. I am diabetic and have had stents twice. I am 67 and this is why I feel a real serious need for the lapband to get the diabetes under control. After lmy first husband died I remarried close to 4 yrs ago and gained 30 lbs and that is when I started having a lot of problems with the diabetes. Another thing that scares and worries me is that I have premature heart beats along with short runs of fast beats at times which I think is brought on a lot of times by worry and stress. I have really been stressed out about my weight problem so I just pray every night that all goes well for me. I have attended some meetings with a group of people that already have the band and they talk about getting stuck and most of them agree that it is their own fault that if happens. Being caused by eating too big of bites, eating too fast and just plain eating foods they were told they shouldn't eat. It sounds to me like everyone is different. You sound like you are doing great. Just don't worry and follow the instructions for the transition to soft foods they give you at your nutrition class and I think you will do good....Young At Heart

Just an update, I am dong great, see my ticker. Am down over 60 lbs. my diabetes is totally under control, my PCP says that I may be off the meds by the summer. I am not on any BP meds. That is perfect, my sleep apnea is gone, no snoring and more energy. I may be a bit saggy but LOL I got a size 12 jeans this week with no "mommy" elastic waist LOL. My cholesterol is 130 and I feel 10 years younger. I am so very very happy I did this.

It's fun to shop for clothing now in the normal section of the store.

Good luck with everything you soon will feel great.

Pati

Shamrockgirl60, Way to go. I am so happy for you. I got my first appt with the surgeon April 6th and sure hope everying moves along and by Dec. I can say my diabetes is much better and that I no longer snore as I think hubby is going crazy hearing it. Keep up the good work and just think the little say is worth all of the other benefits health wise.....Young At Heart

GRANNYBEAR, Congradulatons and glad to hear that you are doing good. I will be making an appointment to see the surgeon next week. I have my 6 mo diet done and ready to go on, but I must say I am scared because of my age and heart problems but I need to do this mainly for the diabetes. Keep me posted as to how you are doing.....Young At Heart

I AM ALSO DIABETIC, HAD OPEN HEART SURGERY IN 03.. HAD MY BAND ON FEB 5TH THIS YEAR.. EVERYTHING WENT GREAT, I WAS NOT SORE AT ALL AND IN 2 WKS WENT I WENT FOR MY CK UP, I HAD LOST 19 POUNDS, I GO FOR MY 6 WK CK UP NEXT WEEK AND I HAVE LOST SO FAR ANOTHER 9 POUNDS..I HAVE NOT HAD A FILL, I AM NOT HUNGRY. I AM 60, JUST TURNED IN FEB..I AM SO GLAD I DID THIS, I HAVE ALREADY DROPPED 1 OF MY BLOOD PRESSURE pills, I HAVE LOST 1 PANT SIZE AND 2 SHIRT SIZES.. I WENT FROM 70 UNITS OF INSULIN IN THE AM AND PM TO 15 IN THE AM AND PM..

SO YOU WILL BE FINE AND YOU WILL DO GREAT

GOOD LUCK TO YOU

DEE:thumbup:

texas_rose, thank you for your words of encouragement. Only we who are facing this know the ups and downs we feel as we are waiting to get through the 6 mo diet which I was not good at, and waiting to get all of the required tests over with. I was so glad to hear that you did so good. My son always tells me I am one strong woman so I hope he is right and I can do as good as you did. Keep in touch and thank you again.....Young At Heart

Hello everyone, I was on another thread about my age and the Dr. not wanting to do it over 59 years of age. Then a nice person referred me to this thread. Wonderful! l have been so encouraged from all the messages and more than ever, I am convinced that I need the lap band. I felt deflated over the age deal from the Dr. but have found clincis and Doctors here in Alabama that will do it at any age. So, keep your messages coming. I will do the same.