Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I thoight I was the only one!

Well, I have just found this group. I honestly thought I must be one of the oldest to have a lap band. I have not seen anyone of our age in the outpatients clinic. I am in the UK and having my band (hopefully) on Wednesday. Hope to catch up with you all later.

Hi Susana. Good luck on the new band. I am new also and go for my consultation on July 29th to start things rolling. I know how you feel. I am 60 and the first time in my life feel the oldest of something. Depressing isn't it? My body looks older than 60 but my mind is 25!

:wub:

Susanna

When I went to my first intro meeting to find out about lap-band, the room was equally divided into thirtysomethings and sixtysomethings with one person at 70. She told us she was 70 and she came in on a walker. I loved her one question of the doctor. "How soon after surgery can I have sex?" I thought the lady next to her would fall out of her chair! I don't know if she has already had her surgery or not, but she's a hero of mine.

Win

:thumbup:

Hi Susanna, saw the above posts and thought I would ask how you are doing post banding. I am 67 and most people say I look younger and in my mind I sure feel younger but the body tells me differently. I hope you feel stronger each day and doing well. God Bless.

Hi everyone,

I came home the day after op and feeling great. Everything went very well, the surgeon said it was a straightforward operation, and I put this down to me being very good on the milk diet. The staff at the hospital were so lovely. I have no pain, and managing small amounts of pureed food. Not much but enough. Am training my husband to do the hanging out of the washing etc (I know, I should have done it before), and he is doing very well too!

Love to all of you on your journeys.

Susan

Susanna,

Congratulations on your successful banding. So far, I am the oldest on the boards - I will be 72 in about 2 weeks. About 3 years ago, the doctor I had then suggested I have this done, but the surgeon said he couldn't do the banding - only the open surgery - and it would be very risky, so I said, no thanks. In the meantime, he retired and I have a new doctor and insurance, and he has referred me to another surgeon. I am waiting for my first appointment to see he she will do the surgery. Good luck on your future journey.

Oh, Susanna...we Baby Boomers will never submit to being the age it says on our drivers licenses. LOL :-) We still rule! Age is only a mindset, as we all know. Check out Bette Midler, Cher, Meryl Streep. You will feel and look mahhhvelous, dahling!

Just be kind and gentle with yourself before and after surgery. Soon, I can assure you, you will be feeling great...take baby steps, though. It may feel like a struggle with the fluids only part of the journey, but that won't last that long. Really. Just do it and you will be so happy!

All the best of wishes to you on Wednesday.

Susanna! Ooops, I hadn't read all the posts when I thought you were to have your surgery THIS Wednesday. But, you already had it done, last Wednesday? I'm so happy that it all went well and that you're back home. Now, for the rest of your journey...it only gets better.

It's interesting hearing how so many feel they're too old or the oldest ones at the surgery centers for this procedure. It never occurred to me! Maybe because I work around younger people or just have never grown up!

I did have that feeling in 1974 when I was at the OB's office pregnant with my 3rd child. I was 28 and felt soooo old! Now, I laugh - none of my kids even started having children until in their 30s.

My point is that we still have so much life left in us, especially with losing the weight, so why WOULDN'T we have the lapband surgery?! Looking back decades from now, we'll be soooo glad we did and laugh that we ever considered being old for the surgery! :scared2:

Hey I am a "young" 60 and feel great, I was banded on August 7th this year. Most people tell me I look around 45 or so. Very few wrinkles and good skin and not much gray hair ( I do color it dark blond). Even though things are going to sag and bag at my age, I do think this was the smartest decision I have ever made. I am progressing to real food this next week. A little scared but happy and my first fill is in 3 weeks. I have finally hit around 200 and hope to be 199 by next week, haven't seen that number in 3 years. My clothing is bagging and I had to buy a belt to hold up my jeans. I have a pair of size 18 I can get in but can't quite breath in them, my stomach is still a tad swollen from the surgery, I am losing in my legs and arms and face right now.

I am so surprised at so many young people doing this. I used to be very thin when I was young around 110 - 120 pounds till my 30's. Then a fluky thyroid and eating badly made me gain 100 lbs in abut 5 years. Finally got on thyroid pills and was able to lose some weight, but I gained it back. This operation was suggested by my PCP who I adore. Next time I see him he will get a hug.....and he will be surprised at how I look.

Pati

Hi Shamrockgirl60, congradulations on your band and doing so good. I am sure it feels good to be on your way to eating real food. I go to Magee's Hospital in Pittsburgh PA next week to start 6 month diet which they require. I am diabetic and I have seen where this has helped so many with their diabetes and I am praying and looking forward to having the same good results. Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing..........Young At Heart

You're starting the process? Hang in there. I was on the edge of becoming diabetic and in as little as one month after surgery my blood tests showed that my numbers were excellent. I was absolutely shocked that it took so little time to get good results.

GRANNYBEAR, Congradulatons and glad to hear that you are doing good. I will be making an appointment to see the surgeon next week. I have my 6 mo diet done and ready to go on, but I must say I am scared because of my age and heart problems but I need to do this mainly for the diabetes. Keep me posted as to how you are doing.....Young At Heart

I am 62 and was banded Wednesday,2/18/09. I'm a bit sore, but doing well otherwise. Looking forward to a new wardrobe.

Sounds like you are doing well. No gas pain? liquids are the way to go. Good luck. It is the best thing I have done for myself.