Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband removal & cost in Dallas, texas area

Hello All!

I am new to this board. I was referred by obesityhelp.net. To make a long story short: I have been overweight since I was like 8. Been on every diet. For about 3 years I researched options. Did medifast and decided to get banded last June 07. I only lost 36 pounds, by May of this year. I was voimiting a lot and having reflux problems. I never had reflux but like 2 times in my entire life. I had the saline removed and felt like a normal person! I can eat without that stuck feeling and I don't feel so uncomfortable. Now I have gotten the courage up to go back to my Dr. for removal options. It has been very emotional, as I really wanted this to work for me. And I was excercising like 2 times a day! My insurance is BlueCross. They seem hesistant about removing it, unless it is causing me major problems. So I am needing someone else in this area to give me the cash price for removal, in case my insurance will not approve it. I want it removed and will also seek scar removal. I had smooth skin on my stomach before this. It just serves as a reminder that this didn't work for me. I am working on my mental, emotional and spiritual insides for now. In time, I will know what to do after the band.

Thanks in advance for your sensitivity and support.

MustangSally

That sounds awful. How much fill did you have that brought you to this point? If it's not bothering you then why take it out. Maybe in a few months you might look at having a fill again but go really slowly this time. I was just rebanded because of an error the first time and the thought of having surgery again put me in a spin. I just think why not give yourself time to see if you change your mind. Good luck with your decision, whatever you choose.

Thanks for the reply Sades. I saw after my post the thread for Dr. Barker in the Dallas area. The whole lapband process has brought me to having it removed. When I got out of the hospital, I had 1.75fill. I actually did better with my weightloss, because I didn't have so many restrictions on food. My fills were done about every 3 months. So it was done slowly. This isn't just for me anymore. I am so very happy with my decision! I have gained back my weight, but I know this is the right thing for me! I am just plain tired of the food restrictions, voimiting, reflux and being uncomfortable. I will setup an appt with my original doc about removal, hopefully I can get in this week. And get surgery before this month is out. I also have a fear of this band slipping while at work or out on a date or something. This will give me peace of mind. WLS isn't for everyone. Someone said there is no "test" for how well one will do with it. Only we as individuals can make the best decision for ourselves. This is not the last resort. Life goes on.

Thanks for your prayers and support!

mustang sally

It just sounds like you were over filled to me. Most people who have the correct restriction do not go through what you have gone through.

I hope you find a surgeon to help you get it out. Good luck with your future weightloss.

Sades...I was looking on this site to see if you were home from your surgery and what happened. How are you feeling? You said you got re-banded. Last I read you had not known what was going to happen.

All the best to everyone tonight!

Jane

Hi Jane, thanks for thinking of me. Yes it all went well, can't believe it's Day 5 already. He did an endoscopy as well while I was under to make sure that it was all fine so I can't imagine there being a problem (I hope!). How are things with you?

Sally, let us know how you go with the removal. I understand how you feel because I had to have mine done twice and if something happened again I might end up making the same decision. Take care.

Mustangsally,

It will be a year since I had my lap band surgery next month and I see my surgeon on the anniversary so I know what you're going through as it was not the right decision for me either as I only gained back my weight and never lost but I still have it in and don't know what will happen next, good luck to you Nanook.

i was banded a year ago last week, and i have regretted it almost everyday since. i am not sure why i have had so many problems, but i too have had serious issues with vomiting and reflux since getting banded, and prior to my band i hardly EVER threw up or had reflux. last november my band slipped and i had to have an emergency surgery to fix it...i should have just had them take it out because i am still having the same problems, and i don't have that much Fluid in my band to begin with. i am unsure what to do, because i no longer have insurance and there is no way i can pay for it on my own...any suggestions or help would be appreciated. thanks.