Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginning Lap-Band Seeker in Las Vegas

I'm just starting the process and I'm so excited because for several years now I thought it was an impossible dream for me. About 5 years ago I was in the testing stage for a bypass with Dr. Fisher. In the middle of all my tests he decided to stop accepting Medicare, and I was totally devastated! I tried to find another doctor in Las Vegas but the few that I found would not take Medicare. So, I resigned myself to another batch of diets...and I'm sure you all know what that gets you. It got me an additional 20 pounds or more.

Anyway, just by chance I stumbled onto Dr. Atkinson & Dr. Soong only yesterday. 'Lo and behold' they accept Medicare and Blue Cross supplemental!! AND they didn't even laugh when I asked if they would consider a >70 year old for the Lap-Band procedure...in fact they said they have safely performed the procedure on many patients in that age group. I'm aware that the pre-surgery process can take a very long time, but I'm going full-steam ahead. After all, I have been dieting on and off for 60 years now, and I'm getting a little long in the tooth!

Best wishes to All

Trishah

Hi Trishah!!!

I live in Henderson and we have group getting together this afternoon for lunch. We will be having these get together's once a month and I'll be happy to keep you posted so you can join us!!!

Dr. Atkinson was my surgeon and everything is going great so far. I've lost 30lbs in less than 2 months! I've started working out and guess what? I DON'T hate it anymore! :biggrin2:

We're going to BaBaReeba's at Fashion Show Mall at 1pm- feel free to drop in if you get this message in time!!!

Best wishes,

Yvonne

Hi Yvonne,

I was so pleased to receive your message. I would definitely like to be included in your lunch group. I'm won't always be able to attend because I have a disabled daughter that I care for here at home...but please keep me posted.

Congrats on your success so far...isn't it fantastic to finally see your dream coming true? I'm so happy for you. How long did the whole process take for you...from making the first contact to actually getting banded? When I was involved with Dr. Fisher :unsure: the process took from about six to 8 months...maybe more depending. Did you have to prove you could do a diet first? And how many tests were required? It seems that every medical group has different hoops that you have to jump through. I've been reading the posts and I'm very happy to see all the positive comments about Dr. Atkinson and Dr. Soong.

A little about me: I'm a widow and have been in Las Vegas for about 18 years. My daughter Cris and her pets (Micki, the Cocker-Setter; Wiley, the Border-Bully; and Hobbes, the haughty Cat) live with me in Eastern Las Vegas...between Trop & Harmon, off Pecos. I have another daughter Hilary who lives here in LV, and two sons who live in northern California. And I have four grandchildren all in their teens now.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best wishes,

Trishah

1st, here's the link to our August get-together...

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/nevada-local-lap-band-support/69457-vegas-bandsters-august-get-together-all-invited.html#post919373

I didn't want to forget that part!!!

It sounds like you have a wonderful family. The larger- the better I say! I have 2 girls, Sam & Allie (7 & 4)- they are so cute and fun to be around (most of the time! LOL)

I went to my seminar back in September... My insurance didn't cover anything- so being self-pay the process was Really fast...

I decided to pay off a lot of my bills first- then applied for "CareCredit" and made my final decision in April. They had me take some blood tests and an EKG and I was ready to go... no psych-no nutritionist- no diet... I was scheduled for 4/30, but came down with a horrible flu 2 days before- so I had to reschedule for 5/20...

All is well. They had problems during surgery because my liver was so large and almost pulled out, but found a way to get around it. My recovery was a bit painful at first- but everyone's experience is different. I was back to work 8 days later. My 1st day back was hard- I lasted 5 hours and went home, then every day got a little easier. Now I finally feel "normal"- but better than I ever did before surgery!

27lbs is a big deal. I really didn't think so, but today I decided I needed a couple of shirts for work, so I went to Lane Bryant where I usually buy a size 26- Today I bought a size 18 and it looks really good on- not snug at all. I only bought 2 shirts because I'm hoping to be in a size 14 REALLY SOON!

You've been around town a lot longer than me young lady. My band was installed by Dr. Soong & Dr. Atkinson. I've asked around about Dr. Fisher also Dr. Teng. I have not met either, both sound a lot alike & are very good. I retired from Alaska Laborers #942 Five years ago. Been on Social Security Disability & Medicare since then also. I would have been bedridden without medicare. I hope you can make a meeting at Dr. Soongs, SWCC, 7/22/08, 6PM. Six short months since surgery & lost 119 pounds. I spend about equal time on surgery tables, poker tables, hiking & swimming. I been real lucky with 1st class Doctors, Clinics & Support Groups. Good Luck with your band!! Hasta Pronto, George:thumbs_up::):thumbup: