Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help looking for guidance and ticked off!

I went today for my upper GI, no problems found :mad: However, the Lap band procedure is taking place aprx. 2 hrs away, though when I originally me with a surgeon I met him in Bakersfield it wasn't until I received a letter from the insurance that I found out it was to be done in West Hills... I called the local office and she said yes the surgery will be done in West Hills but all the follow ups will be here in Bakersfield, with my same surgeon. I go today for my GI and find that my surgeon is no longer with them and the one that will be replacing him said that he will do the surgery but if I wanted him to do the fills then I would have to travel to West Hills for that and all follow ups... It really isn't the drive its the price of gas.

What if I change surgeons do I have to start the process all over getting approval for the insurance or should I just stick it out... Really ticked off right now!:biggrin:

I'm going to have to drive an hour each way for my fills. But how often will that actually be? Once every few months I figure. If I were you I'd hate to go backwards in the process just of the fact of a drive. If you don't like the new surgeon, thats another story! Keep us posted.

Jill,

I live in Bakersfield and I was banded on June 10th. I had my surgery done with Dr. Irani. What a nice man! I have nothing but positive comments about him and his staff. Mercy Bariatrics took care of all the pre-op stuff and kept me informed as to what to expect and what ws going to happen.

I understand your concern about going to Los Angeles. My son has several doctors he needs to see in LA, which means we are going over the hill several times a year. It gets old fast. We always make it a fun outing after the visit, but I get tired of dealing with the LA traffic and gas is not cheap right now. We had to go on last Thurs and gas alone to fill my truck cost me over $100.

Check out Dr. Irani if you are still unsure. He has left a good impression with me. I wonder if your pro op tests could be transfered. I can't imagine having to go through that again. Might be worth a phone call to find out.

Good Luck!

Jules

Edited by Jules K

Am I correct to say that you are with Top Surgeons? I have Dr. Naim and I have had other surgeries done at their West Hills office and they are awesome! It is worth the drive as I drive from Corona to their Beverly Hills office for all of my appointments then West Hills for surgery. I had my septoplasty and rhinoplasty (nose job) done there.

Am I correct to say that you are with Top Surgeons? I have Dr. Naim and I have had other surgeries done at their West Hills office and they are awesome! It is worth the drive as I drive from Corona to their Beverly Hills office for all of my appointments then West Hills for surgery. I had my septoplasty and rhinoplasty (nose job) done there.

Yes Top Surgeons,,, Dr Surgey Lyass.. The feeling of uncertainty is overwhelming. I had one dr then was switched to him,met him yesterday, kinda rude sounding... (I could be over sensitive) however, he currently travels to Bakersfield, but told me he wasn't anymore and I could have anyone do my fills... soooooooooo when I called the Bakersfield office they were surprised...

You probably wouldnt like my answer. I was self pay. I flew to Juarez and it took me 10 hours to get home, 2 thru the border, then 3 hours to wait on the next plane and then to get home on the plane.

I too have free fills, but Id have to fly back to Juarez each time. If you think its expensive, having insurance covering you and your gripe is the price of gas, tell yourself its worth it. You got off cheap compared to many.

I still havent decided on a fill doctor in my area, griped because I found out the doctor they recommended charges an extra $100 cash price because I was banded in Mexico. That extra $100, $250 for me, vs. $150 for others banded here, will buy a lot of gas.

Jill, ask if Dr. Naim can do your surgery (he is with Top Surgeons) he does it out of West Hills where the Bariatric Surgery Center is and you can view his very impressive resume at Los Angeles LA Weight Loss Bariatric Center Dr. H. Joseph Naim M.D., F.A.C.S.

He comes across as a bit snobbish but he really is not, it is how is disposition is preceived. He is actually a very kind person and truly one of the top lap band surgeons in So. Cal...again, read his resume.

I am sorry that you are having such great difficulty with them. Their main office is the Bevery Hills office and there you can talk with Andrea or Ara and tell them I told you to call. Explain your apprehensions and I promise they will take care of the situation and make it right.

I had my surgery done by Dr Naik, in the same office as Dr. Irani. I pay $350.00 for each fill, as they don't bill in network with insurance and my insurance wont pay out of network for WLS or anything relating to it. it really makes me mad. But both Dr's Irani and Naik are great.