Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you start solid foods before or after your first fill?

I have my first fill on July 21st with the surgeons assistant. I'm on the mushy/soft foods and I don't see my dietician until July 31st. I'm assuming I won't start solids until after I see her. I know every Dr is diffrerent but I was was wondering if it's normal to start solids after the first fill?

My doctor had me go back to full fluids and then mushies for two weeks. (one week of fluids & one week of mushies) before starting back on solids. Right now I am on the mushies.

I believe he'll have you go back on fluids, the length of time is different with every doctor, basically because your pouch will be irritated and swollen after the adjustment.

But I am sure your doctor will tell you what he specifically will want you to do.

I was on solid foods for a few weeks before my first fill. My doctor wouldn't do the first fill until 8 weeks after surgery.

My doctor had me on solids week 4 (as tolerated) I didn't try steak and salad till week 5 though. I won't have a fill till week 7 even then he may not fill..all depends...

He states you can't tell how restricted you really are until you eat solid foods, he said that the pouch is made to work with solids. Some patients he said have enough restriction just from the band and no fill.

Your doctors orders are the only ones that count.

I was given all the phases and what week to start them all at once on a paper.

My doctor had me slowly work solids in starting in week three after surgery.

My doctor has no dietary requirements after a fill. In fact he wants us eating solid food by the next day because if we can't get solid food down by then, he wants to know about it.

Every doctor is different and it's important to follow the instructions of the doctor you trusted your care to!

I had already started solid foods by my first fill....i had the fill and then had to go back on liquids for 2 days and then soft foods for a day..then back to normal....solid foods

I was banded 6/9 and have my first fill 7/21, 6 weeks post surgery. I've been on solids since 1 week after surgery. I was instructed to go on liquids the day of and 2 days after the fill, then back to solids. I have experienced some restriction depending on what I eat. But I am hungry and could eat more but am using my will power and discipline.

My daughter's boyfriend has lost 165 lb and has never had a fill. You shouldn't get a fill until you need one, and how do you know you need one if you have never eaten solid foods? Admittedly, the people who do not need fills ever are very few, but I would think you would not want to get one until you feel that you need it--you are able to eat solids in portions that are too large, and you are getting hungry too soon.

I had my first fill 21 days after surgery he told me to do liquids until the morning then I started solids the next day. I had my second fill this past Thursday and again he told me liquids till morning then solids again at Breakfast but if I was having difficulty do mushies for a day.