Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd Fill woes-Too Tight!!!

Got my 2nd today-2cc added to the 4cc I already had in a supposed 10cc band.

As soon as I drove off I was unable to hold my own saliva down for hours...

I had to call the office at least 5 times before they took me seriously-I was vomiting, heaving, hiccupping and spitting up for 5 hours straight.

The doctor was quite petulant-told me I was 'overreacting' and that it was just swelling, and they 'just don't unfill you'.

I was having crushing spasms in my chest and throat, and driving with a plastic bag and paper towels for the mess.

Doctor snickered when I commented that I would get dehydrated if it kept up because I couldn't drink...!

I finally told them I was coming in-whether they liked it or not.

[bTW-I am a tough chick-you could stick me with a ten foot needle and never hear a peep from me, I am no crybaby miss priss who can't hold a fill! :cool:]

Doctor begrudingly agreed to remove some of the fill and actually said he was going to remove all of it and didn't know if and when he'd replace it!

I asked him if he was 'punishing' me?

What a jerk...

He finally took out @2.5-3 cc and I had immediate relief!

He changed his tune a bit and was more pleasant afterward, but I will not forget the treatment I received-just because I had an atypical reaction to a fill.

He said next time he will use 'floro' to determine the proper fill...

I don't even have confidence that he knows the correct size of my band as he asked me last time-'what size band did I give you?' and had to check in my chart! egads!!:)

My Dad {who is a Neuropathologist} said that most surgeons are not known for their brains-they are nothing more than dummies that know how to use a knife...but not much else. I think he's correct in this case!

Anyone have a fill that was so tight you couldn't swallow and keep down your own saliva?

How did your Doc react?

Edited by cannedpoo

Canned poo,

I've not had an immediate issue, but I just had an unfill after realizing I was too tight for my comfort level after three months. My dr. was nothing but supportive and kind. Your dr. should be nothing but supportive and kind as well...if he's not, then you might want to find another surgeon to work with. I'm sure, in conneticut, much like NJ, there are plenty of drs. to choose from.

Best of luck.

Lorraine

Hey there! I got my band in February. A colleague of my surgeon's did my first fill. (And no, he didn't know my band size either) So to err on the side of caution, he put a little less in. I knew I'd need another fill, but the bad side of me wanted to keep eating a little more.

On my third fill, my surgeon added 3cc's and made me drink some Water. I could feel it stuck right away, so with no questions he took out one cc. I could swallow the Water fine.

HOWEVER. I ate baby food the first day, and tried some mashed potatos today....... I am still PBing. I can feel it when the food pops out of place, then back in and MAN it hurts.

YOU know when something isn't right, and I'm glad you went back. If I can't handle this, I know my doc would see me right away no problems.

Good luck!

I had one that was too tight even before the put anything in it.They put in a 10cc band and it caused me to swell and seal off.I had it on Jan21 2008 and stayed that way until the 27th when they finally got worried and carried me back to surgery and took it out and put in a 14cc band.Every thing has been OK ever since.

After each fill, my doctor requires us to sit in his office and drink a full cup of Water to make sure it all goes down. That way, if there is a problem with not being able to hold the water down, he can take out a little of the fill before you leave the office. I assumed every doctor does this, but from your post, it leads me to believe yours didn't. I think it's a great practice!

I was banded 5/5/08 and went out of town two weeks after. I was experiencing some severe shoulder pain on the left side and went to the ER. I had been previously diagnosed with inflamation of the chest wall and upper lung and the pain was very similar. I let my surgeon know about this during my follow up visit. He said to keep an eye on it and let him know if it got worse. A few weeks later I got a Vitamin stuck and PB'd for two hours then finally decided to go to the ER. It passed on the way and was very painful; saw the doc anyway. I went for my first fill 6/24 and drank the Water. I was too tight and was unfilled by 1/2 cc. During this visit I told the doc about some other pains I was having (pain in the esophogus after eating or drinking anything at all, and pain on my left side near/under my left ribs). Doc said "Oh yeah, you had those crazy pains and went to the ER huh?"

During my fill I told him that I could feel it. He asked where and I told him under/near my left ribs and in my esophogus. He said that no one has ever said that they could actually feel a fill before. He said that what I was feeling on the left side was the solution going through the catheter into the band and what I was feeling in my esophogus was the band actually filling. "I guess you really can feel what's going on in your body." I have a pretty good sense of humor and can take quite a bit before I fly off the handle.

We know our bodies better than anyone else, even if they are doctors. Allowing you to PB for 5 hours is unacceptable, especially when they don't want you PBing at all. Then to be cynical and threatning to not re-fill you is even worse. They get paid to do this regardless of how many times they see you. If they don't want to do it they need to go into another field.:) I would consider getting another surgeon, then consider filing a complaint. No one should be treated like that, even if we are a little nuts:rolleyes:. Good luck with your future appointments and good luck to everyone who has to deal with this kind of stuff:smile2:

Sounds like you need another Doctor that listens to his patient!!! The treatment you received was uncalled for.

He had me swallow one sip of Water and then I was out the door...That one sip stayed in my throat as I drove off to work and came back up shortly thereafter,along with every drop of saliva...ugh!

Needless to say next time I am waiting a bit after I swallow before I leave!!

My Dr. makes us bring a bottle of Water - we have to finish it with no problems before we are allowed to leave his office. If I were you, I would take a bottle with me and make sure I could drink the whole thing first! Let us know how it goes!

just to let u know . i went online today for info about overfill. i was horrified to hear what u said about ur dr. after stalling for 2 days and not wanting to bother my dr i hadd enough about 6 pm sun night. i called my dr;s answering srvice to see if i could get in first thing mon. my dr met me halfway between his house an mine to adjust the fill so i wouldnt have to wait till mon.

fire ur dr or report him to ur insurance or his partners. he has no repeat no social redeeming value.

I had a fill....then 8 months later, suddenly couldnt keep Water down, was definitely dehydrated. When I called MY doctors office the covering PA said, "well you waited 6 days before calling, whats the urgency now?"...and I paid CASH for my procedure. NO SPECIAL TREATMENT FOR ME THERE!..unreal!

MaryBee I´m confused, did you have a problem 8 months after having a fill? That doesn´t sound right.... please correct me if I´m thinking wrong.