Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im so mad at myself I wanna cry

So I have been on a diet for the last like 3 weeks. Eating healthy and protiens first veggies second and only healthy carbs last. Cut out all sugar and starchy carbs. I am practicing for my band as I thought I would have it by now. I have done sooooo good! I really convinced myself that this was a life change I had made. That I was gonna do great with my band and eat the right way! Then it happend. A sugar craving.........I tried everything. I went to the fidge and ate a half chicken breast. That way if I was hungry the craving would go away. But no. So I waited 15 min and had carrot sticks. They r kinda sweet so maybe that would do it. No. Finally I tried a sugar free cookie. NO! It was still there. Then I did it..........I pulled out the poptarts, put them in the toaster oven and ate them both. I was mad even as I was doing it. I took the first bite hoping it wouldnt be that good so maybe I would throw it away. OMG! It was soooooooooooooooooo good. The frosting, the filling, the startchy dough. I ate them both. Then I looked at what I had done. 70 carbs, 450 calories. That is like almost half my calories for tomarro and 3 days of carbs...........**sighs** I mean I might as well had not dieted at all this week. I blew a week of dieting for one stupid sugar craving. It was stronger than me. I did every behavior modification I could think of before I caved and all it did was make me eat that much more (chicken and carrots and sugar free cookie) PLUSS the pop tart. I really feel like a failure. Like I will never be stronger than my urges no matter what stupid behavior changes I try to make. They didnt work. ;)

Bandit....Take a deep breath. You are ok. Two stupid little poptarts didn't ruin anything!!!! You are doing wonderfully, so don't get too down on yourself. No one is perfect. I don't think anyone here is...I surely am not. I had some full fat French vanilla ice cream two weeks after I was banded and almost cried. You know what, the world did not end though and I just kept moving forward. It sounds like you may suffer from an "all or nothing" syndrome like I do....if you are not totally perfect, you think you blew it. I am trying hard to overcome that because it's so self defeating. Just keep up your good work and move on. What is done is done. You are still a wonderful person who happened to eat two poptarts...big deal. I might suggest getting rid of all foods like that from your house though so they don't tempt you. Instead you could keep things like sugar free jell-o or the new sugar free jell-o pudding for when you get the sugar cravings. I have also fallen in love with the Weight Watcher Cookies and Cream bars. They are only 2 points (low cal) and taste like heaven. There are also a lot of low carb ice cream treats out there that are good. Try to have foods in your house that will set you up for success and have things to curb your sweet tooth. Deprivation will only lead to more poptart like incidents.

You can do this....you are doing it. Keep up the great work!!!

Hugs to you.

OH MY GAWD!!!! BANDIT! YOU ARE HEREBY BANISHED FROM LBT FOR THE UNFORGIVABLE SIN OF BEING HUMAN!!!! SHAME! SHAME!

Oh please be kind to yourself!

Then I looked at what I had done. 70 carbs, 450 calories. That is like almost half my calories for tomarro and 3 days of carbs

LMBO... I am so very glad to know that I am not alone! Poptarts are MY weakness (one of them).

Sometimes this is what it takes to get ourselves back on track. What you did was very normal.

When I have a strog craving for something out of the ordinary, I like to think that its my body needing whatever nutrients in that food.

Please remember... this isnt about depriving ourselves. Its about reducing our intake!

Welcome to the land of real people! I think we all do that once in a while, and it is only human! You are doing great, and one day isn't going to kill you or undo everything you have done. When your cravings get so bad like that, have a little bit, sit down and truely enjoy every bite, then get back on track.

Been there done that, and I have the band, LOL. Tuesday, I ate off and on all day, little bits, but nachos and cheese dip, talk about good, but not good. Today's another day, it will be better.

Like everyone has said everyday is a new day. Don't be so harsh on yourself we all have done that at some point. I think I woulda ate the whole box. I love Pop Tarts

Bandit-

I want to shake you and yell that you've got to get this thinking under control...but I'll try to do it more compassionately than that.

Girl, this isn't about being perfect or being good or bad, or right or wrong. It's about doing the best you can every day. It's about making choices every day, too- sometimes you make good ones, sometimes not so good ones.

Having a band is not about being on a diet. Diet means deprovation and following a set of strict rules. The band is about making good choices about 80% of the time, and eating Protein first, veggies second, and carbs last. Do you see anywhere in those rules about "no poptarts or you're a horrid person"? NO NO NO NO NO.

Stop it! I know it's hard to do because it's a habit. If you could stay on a diet you wouldn't need the band. Stop worrying so much about what you are eating now. You will have the rest of your life with your band to help you.

What you are doing now is like this- you decide that you want to get a zillion amp power screwdriver to help you put together a fancy little desk that you bought at Ikea, and so in order to get ready for it you use a regular one that you turn by hand. Then when you're little hand gets tired you beat yourself up and tell you you aren't strong and you'll never get the desk together and you're worthless.

I agree that now is a great time to be thinking about your eating habits. Become a researcher...how do you eat? When? Why? This work will help you later on when you get the band.

Wow, I woke up preachy this morning. Just be good to yourself and have a damn poptart if you want one.

Megan

Im sure u guys are right.....but I cant help that I feel so bad. Like y didnt I just eat one?! Why do I feel like its all or nothin? I have to eat the whole two pack? I just wish I could have aten one not two. Thats y I am so mad. Y do I have to be such a gluton when it comes time to cheat? I am going to go jogging. Im sure I wont burn off 500 calories, but maybe I wont be so angry with myself. I mean, so I make a bad choice, So what right? Now I should just focus on today and make good ones and get over it.

Bandit - please read everything that's been posted and let us know that you are feeling better about being human. Remember that you wouldn't have learned to walk if you hadn't fallen down. Think of this as a baby tumble. Get up and try walking again.

Celeste

I might suggest getting rid of all foods like that from your house though so they don't tempt you. Instead you could keep things like sugar free jell-o or the new sugar free jell-o pudding for when you get the sugar cravings. I have also fallen in love with the Weight Watcher Cookies and Cream bars. They are only 2 points (low cal) and taste like heaven. There are also a lot of low carb ice cream treats out there that are good. Try to have foods in your house that will set you up for success and have things to curb your sweet tooth.

Thats what I tried to do.. ;) It didnt work. Those were THE ONLY thing I had in my cubbord and I dont even particularly like them. I got them for my daughter as a treat once in a while. So I guess nothing is safe. Even if I dont even really like it. When that sugar craving hits anything goes! I even thought about making pancakes at 12:00am! (thats when it happend) So I am throwing out the pancake batter and the poptarts today. FYI the tacktic of "eat something healthy when a craving hits; maybe ur hungry" or "try a sugar free healthier alternitive if that doesnt work" ant cuttin it for me. Maybe it works for normal people. At least I can say I gave it an honest try right?

Hey Bandit, If it makes you feel betterI can resist everything except temptation. :-) Don't sweat the small stuff. The truth of the matter is that 2 poptarts are not going to kill ya. I think we all assume that the sugar and carbs are going to attach themselves to us as fat everytime we eat them. The fact of the matter is that they surely will if we eat like that everyday. However a treat once in a while will do no harm. The sugar and carbs are leaving your body fairly quickly I would think if you are eating them only once in a while. But I am not a doctor. All I know is that while I am banded I am still following the carb addicts diet which I had previously lost over 30 lbs on while waiting to get the band. The carb addicts diet works like this. Avoid all carbs all day except for one hour at night. For that one hour you can have all the carbs you want. It works. The Bass player in my band has lost over 90 pounds doing this and he doesn't have the band. He eats lean meats and salads during the day and then downs bread, Pasta, etc..... for dinner everynight. The weird thing is that after a while your cravings for carbs start to go away. here is a link to an interview with Dr Rachel Heller andher Husband Dr.Richard Heller that is on WebMD. http://my.webmd.com/content/article/1/1707_50256.htm

Check it out. You can buy their books in paperback at Walmart.< /p>

Bandit, don't be so tough on yourself, isn't that what you told me yesterday???? Well, you know what, sugar--any type of sweet is my weakness, and if I feel like having a piece of cake or pie one day, guess what, I eat it. This is about modification, right?? not depriving yourself of something, because you are only human and you will fail if you set your standards unrealistically high. So what, if you had pop tarts (by the way, yukkk! I don't like them) your not going to die, and listen, the fact that you have been so good and are starting to change your way of thinking and eating, is better than good. I went on an eating frenzie before banding, you know, got a last taste of everything... so there, you are doing better than what I did. (my dr didn't require any type of dieting beforehand, guess cause I was a lower bmi). So don't be so hard on yourself, okay...

Have u been banded yet?

No I havnt. But with the craving as bad as it was last night Im sure I would have eatin the damn poptart anyhow. Maybe not two, but I didnt eat them because I was hungry, so I dont think the band would have stopped me. I ate them just cause I wanted them. GGGRRRRRRRRRRR