Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

blood thinner injections

Hi all,

I went to my pre-op appointment on July 8th and got the run down of everything to expect and make sure I am ready for the procedure. One thing that was brought to my attention was the fact the I would have to take inject myself with a blood thinner called Lovenox. It kind of freaked me out. I an not afraid of needles because I give blood all the time to the Florida blood bank but that is someone else sticking it in me. Now I am having to inject my self with a Fluid and I am honestly a bit nervous about that. Has anyone else had to do this? I will do what ever I need to because I am ready to change. Also any tips on best way to inject? I was shown a picture on how to do it but there may be some tips that may make this a bit easier for me.

I had to do the injections I believe for 10 days after surgery. It really was not too bad. The needles are pretty small and you inject it into your "love handles". I got a instructional dvd and booklet with my shots as well as alcohol swabs and a sharps container for putting the used syringes in.

You will do fine, it is worth it!!

I had to do it during my last pregnancy... and will with my surgery as well. It wasn't ( and won't be)too bad... gave me piece of mind that I was preventing clots..and since blood clots (having survived 5 blood clots in my lungs early when I was pregnant) are my biggest worry with my banding, I am so glad that a simple injection significantly decreases that risk... You Will Do Great!!!!

Oh...definitely take th pictures...they can tell a story that the scale might no always show...

I also had to do them for 5 or 6 days after being banded. It really is not bad at all. You just pinch the area around your naval and inject. I actually had my husband do this for me, it was easier for me to have him to do it.

It´s really not that bad at all. Promise. :thumbup:

I have had to do them for 2 surgeries a few day before and after. No big deal really. Try to avoid the surgery site by several inches if you can because you do bruise and that helps things. Also don't rub or wipe after the injection as that makes it burn and bruise more. Good luck on you up comming surgery. I have lost 44 lbs since april 11 inspite of the fact that I have no port right now and no fills. I was an unlucky one who got an infection. But I still couldn't be happier with my choice to do this I'm the lowest weight I've been in over 4years.

I had to take Lovenox for seven days after my surgery too...I made my husband do it and it wasn't bad at all. He would pinch my belly fat and just go for it!

Just wondering. Do any of you guys have a history of DVT or pulmonary emboli, or any co-morbidiities that would require these injections? Now you have me curious! LOL!

I have to do it 5 days post op. I have done 2 days and I did one in the hospital. It really is not that bad at all...Only have 3 days left on the injections. I am only doing once a day!

well i havent had the surgery yet but when i had my galbladder removed they gave them to me in the hospital several times in the back of my arm, the area got pretty bruised up i even had a friend ask me if everything was okay at home, and i laughed and said it was blood thinner shots, they arent that bad, tho i dont think i could do them to myself, if i have to end up having them i will have my husband do them he'll get a kick out of that...

Same here, I'm on Fragmin for 7 days post-op. Injecting myself won't be a problem. I am far more angry at the price of this med: $224 for 7 doses. The hospital pharmacy wanted $1089 (I kid you not) and another very busy pharmacy wanted $363. Shopping around pays off.

Just wondering. Do any of you guys have a history of DVT or pulmonary emboli, or any co-morbidiities that would require these injections? Now you have me curious! LOL!

I think my surgeon just gives them to everyone as an extra precaution....I've never had any of those things, and my co-morbidity was high blood sugar that I controlled by diet.