Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone else feel like they get inflamed due to spicy food, and then as a consequence can only have liquids after? This has happened twice to me after eating spicy foods and I'm wondering if there's a connection or just coincidence.

Not for me. So far, my only problem food is shrimp. I have hurled it twice now. I also hurled a steak I started eating too fast because I had been rowing all day and was famished.

Sometimes I forget that I can't dive headfirst into my food trough anymore. My DH asked me what was wrong when I got a real pained look at the restaurant and I said "Nothing. I am just getting my money's worth out of the band." Then I ran to the ladies room and hurled.

Foofy,

I got stuck from a small piece of shrimp a few weeks ago. It actually took an hour to pass through. I was out to dinner with a friend and we were talking and laughing and I guess I wasn't paying attention. I slimed for that whole hour. We were going to the movies after dinner and I had to keep running to the bathroom. Missed the first half hour of The Sex and The City movie. Suddenly, I had this horrible stabbing pain and then "whoosh", it went through. Was the worst stuck experience I've had so far!

Linda-

I am not sure about the spicy food but I have been having a lot of stomach pain lately after I eat. I have noticed that after I eat spicy food it acts up but I need to really start keeping tract of when it starts. However, I am concerned with the pain because it hurts quite a bit. I couldn't do my Water aerobics yesterday because of it but today it doesn't hurt. I have been feeling the pain every week for last 3 weeks. I go for a fill today and I am going to mention it to the doctor but I can't eat when I am having an episode.

Not sure about spicy food but definately I am having issues.

Cindy

I generally don't have a problem with spicy foods. For me it's really cold things. I can puke Water if it's too cold. LOL

Foofy,

I got stuck from a small piece of shrimp a few weeks ago. It actually took an hour to pass through. I was out to dinner with a friend and we were talking and laughing and I guess I wasn't paying attention. I slimed for that whole hour. We were going to the movies after dinner and I had to keep running to the bathroom. Missed the first half hour of The Sex and The City movie. Suddenly, I had this horrible stabbing pain and then "whoosh", it went through. Was the worst stuck experience I've had so far!

Cindy,

The first time I got stuck on shrimp, I thought it was a fluke. The second time, I started to worry that it was always going to happen. I'm scared to try again. They are just so deliscious (and low calorie) I hate to give them up. I'll have to REALLY focus on eating them properly when I get the nerve to do it again.

Foofy,

My hubby brought home shrimp in lobster sauce from the Chinese restaurant. I love them so I cut them into really small pieces and chewed them into tiny bits. Because they were soaked in the sauce and were really soft, they went down OK. More fattening this way but I only had 2 jumbo shrimp. I don't think I am going to try them dry or firmer ever again. I'm pretty tight and need to stick with soft, moist food. Sometimes that means adding calories but I'm not taking in too much at a meal. My weight loss slowed down the past few weeks but that's from late night snacking when I was up late doing schoolwork.

Not me--I LOVE spicy food. In fact my husband thinks that's my our son has reddish hair because I ate so much hot food when I was pregnant. (Not true--his mom is a redhead). The only foods I've had trouble with are some roast beef that I cooked to death in the crock pot but didn't chew well enough before I swallowed, and some rice that I had a couple of weeks ago. Mostly I can eat just about anything, but I have to remember especially with the first couple of bites to chew really well. If I start off eating too quickly, it's all over!! I'm not sure if the spicy food would cause the trouble or not. Everyone seems to be different!!

Man, we had Thai food last night that was so hot I think I sweated a pint of Fluid. I HAD to break the bandster rule and drink some milk because I thought my tongue would explode. FABULOUS. It was so hot that I suffered the heat again this morning, if you know what I mean. ;o)

Linda-

I am not sure about the spicy food but I have been having a lot of stomach pain lately after I eat. I have noticed that after I eat spicy food it acts up but I need to really start keeping tract of when it starts. However, I am concerned with the pain because it hurts quite a bit. I couldn't do my Water aerobics yesterday because of it but today it doesn't hurt. I have been feeling the pain every week for last 3 weeks. I go for a fill today and I am going to mention it to the doctor but I can't eat when I am having an episode.

Not sure about spicy food but definately I am having issues.

Cindy

I've been having pain too. It's weird because my last fill was quite a while ago (a few months). Then about a month into the fill I suddenly got very tight and really had to watch what I ate. I wonder if it's a case of the band finally catching up with us like what I've heard on other postings.

Cindy,

The first time I got stuck on shrimp, I thought it was a fluke. The second time, I started to worry that it was always going to happen. I'm scared to try again. They are just so deliscious (and low calorie) I hate to give them up. I'll have to REALLY focus on eating them properly when I get the nerve to do it again.

I ate shrimp but it was battered :confused:. For me if it's covered in sauce (I'm like you Cindy!) or if it's battered, things go down good (I guess they would, hey?) But that's not going to help you with low cal! :lol:

Foofy,

My hubby brought home shrimp in lobster sauce from the Chinese restaurant. I love them so I cut them into really small pieces and chewed them into tiny bits. Because they were soaked in the sauce and were really soft, they went down OK. More fattening this way but I only had 2 jumbo shrimp. I don't think I am going to try them dry or firmer ever again. I'm pretty tight and need to stick with soft, moist food. Sometimes that means adding calories but I'm not taking in too much at a meal. My weight loss slowed down the past few weeks but that's from late night snacking when I was up late doing schoolwork.

That's me too - soft, moist food goes down, and I also don't eat enough of it for calories to really be an issue.

I discovered an evil delicious food: Cajun Sesame Sticks. Oh. My. God.

I call them Cajun Crack because I swear they put illegal drugs in them, they are so good. Granted, not all that healthy. I thought I would just eat a few ever so often for a few sticks of crunch. Sadly I ate a lot of them and they caused 'burns' in my mouth with tiny bumps on my tounge and made the corner of my mouth raw and it ended up splitting. It was awful!

That was about a week ago, and my mouth is pretty much healed. A couple days after eating that though, eating has started being a big uncomfortable. A bit of pain, but very slight. I'd describe it like feeling like I have the hugest burp ever, but burping doesn't help. Also swallowing Water seems to be slowed down- I used to be able to gulp just fine. I can eat fine but things feel like they are going down slowly.

I also seem to be able to feel things going down more than normal. I think the cajun sesame sticks of crackdom irritated not only my mouth, but also my esophagus. I'm probably going to go liquids for the next couple of days and see if there's any improvement.

I've had ZERO band complications except sliming once for a few minutes when I was stupid and swallowed some tough meat instead of spitting it out. My biggest band problem is my roommate eating lots of icecream products (he is skinny) and he always keeps it around so it tempts me sometimes. But other than that, things have been great.

I hope the spicy stuff just irritated things...:)

That was about a week ago, and my mouth is pretty much healed. A couple days after eating that though, eating has started being a big uncomfortable. A bit of pain, but very slight. I'd describe it like feeling like I have the hugest burp ever, but burping doesn't help. Also swallowing Water seems to be slowed down- I used to be able to gulp just fine. I can eat fine but things feel like they are going down slowly.

I also seem to be able to feel things going down more than normal. I think the cajun sesame sticks of crackdom irritated not only my mouth, but also my esophagus. I'm probably going to go liquids for the next couple of days and see if there's any improvement.

:teeth_smile:

Yeah, that's how I felt too!

I'm having the same feeling with spicy foods. I haven't been tightened for a while, so I know it isn't that. One of my favorite meals is the McDonalds Grilled chicken snack Wraps - I throw away the wrap, and just eat the chicken breast with the lettuce, and ask for both the hot sauce and the ranch sauce. Chopped into little pieces, this has been a great staple for me. But, a couple bites of the hot sauce now, and my esophagus is on fire. Will it stop me from eating it? Maybe. But maybe not. It sure makes me eat slower! But I guess others are having the same challenge.

Not for me. So far, my only problem food is shrimp. I have hurled it twice now. I also hurled a steak I started eating too fast because I had been rowing all day and was famished.

Sometimes I forget that I can't dive headfirst into my food trough anymore. My DH asked me what was wrong when I got a real pained look at the restaurant and I said "Nothing. I am just getting my money's worth out of the band." Then I ran to the ladies room and hurled.

Did you only have problems with shrimp after you got a fill? I haven't had a fill yet and had several pieces of shrimp yesterday with no problems. Is shrimp something I will have to watch out for after I get my first fill?

I find that spicy foods cause me to gulp a bit, because I tend to swallow my food un-chewed since the "heat" tends to get to me before I can chew properly. Maybe your irritating the band with un-chewed bits of food.