Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I HATE My Lap Band/gotta get this thing OUT

Hello...my name is Courtney...I was banded in 2005....I was desperately trying to save my doomed marriage by doing something drastic to lose weight....so I ran off to Mexico and had the surgery...my husband and I were optimistic and hopeful, and here I sit in front of this computer, almost 3 years later, almost the same size, and divorced.

Don't get me wrong....leaving that son of a bitch was the best thing that I have ever done. I am now leading the full, happy life I always deserved...I don't have someone making me feel bad all the time because I am not the trophy wife I used to be when I was 20.

But I have GOT to get this thing OUT of me...there are days when I cannot even drink sips of Water. I had x rays a while back and was told the sutures at my port were undone. Whatever. I don't care what the problem is, slippage, I puked too much...none of that matters to me right now because I want it removed from my body FOREVER. Not fixed. Just gone. This procedure was NOT for me. That uncomfortable feeling that people are so grateful for is worthless to me. I WAS able to push past it...but not anymore, not since I can't even enjoy my morning coffee.

I am confused, though....see I got my band from Dr. Kuri when he was with Joanne and that other company....belightweight or something like that. So I don't know which one to contact, or how, or if either of them care to remove it for me. (Dr Kuri or the someone else from that company?) I have no money because I have literally started from scratch since my divorce, so I am hoping one or the other still honors that free removal of the band thing.

Also I have heard it is alot more dangerous to go to Mexico now...so I don't know if I should go back there or just live a few more years with this misery until I can afford to get it out here in the states. :)

Edited by courtneyc

Wow, some story.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Hate you went thru this. It's so important to have a doctor you can stay in close contact with ....especially 6weeks and every 4 weeks after....for adjustments and if something goes wrong.

Let's forget the past {but learn from them}....

I'd make an appointment w/ a doctor for an adjustment. Ensure the band is totally empty.

Then go from there about getting it removed. If you are starting from scratch....hmmmm....an ER visit w/ complaints of chronic vomiting may get it out of you....and yes, a bill will come. If you don't pay it it will go to collections and on your credit report.

But most times, a divorce already leads to bad credit...what's one more tradeline?

Hope you find a solution. keep us posted!

Courtney ~

I am so sorry to hear you've been going through this ... I think you should definitely contact Dr Kuri's office and perhaps go down there to get checked out. As far as it being dangerous to go down there, I was just there in May for a fill and didn't have any problems getting back & forth across the border, and the new hospital that he is in now is awesome and I feel safe while I'm there. Dr Kuri is great and really cares about his patients, so give his office a call and ask to speak to him personally ... voice your concerns and let him help you. The link to his site is in my signature and you can get the number there ... Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do!

Not all surgeries, elective or not are successful with everyone that has them... that is the damn luck of the draw. I am sorry you went through all that you did and hope you find your path of happiness and success. I too went with my husband and parents at the end of May to Dr. Kuri and we all had very successful surgeries and are having continued success and are happy with our decision to go to him. We had no safety issues in TJ Mexico and the hospital was fabulous. Dr. Kuri will take the time to talk to you and help you resolve this issue... I am not sure the outcome will be exactly what you want, but I do believe he will work with you the best he can to help you resolve it. You do sound very bitter and very angry and I hope you have worked on resolving those issues as well.... I don't mean to offend,but it is just how your words came across to me. Good luck in finding your answers and solutions.

Kamm in Everett, WA

335/302/180

DOB 5/27/08

Dr. Kuri - TJ Mexico

I am sorry it didn't work out for you! I also agree that the band isn't for everyone, especially if you are doing it for the wrong reasons! Good luck to you!

I hope everything works out for you Courtney. I'm sorry you've had just a rough time. I hope you're able to get everything resolved and work on healing yourself both emotionally and physically.