Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is longest time with no band problems

Hi Alabama Bandsters... I was just wondering the longest anyone has been banded with no problems.. and if you don't mind, who was your surgeon? I am working on my six month requirements for BC/BS so I don't have any statistics to offer. For those of you who do.. thanks for your information.

What a great question Band of Hope - I would love to know that myself!! I am also in the process of jumping through hoops for the insurance company, so I don't have any data to offer - yet!!

Big Congratulations Jack, your reply was just what I needed to hear - keep up the great work and especially the wonderful encouragement you offer so many of us!

Smiles,

Patricia

I thought it was a good question too, but, I am kinda surprised that no one from Alabama has replied. Although Jack is great and has wonderful comments, he is not a Bama man... so, this is not a good indicator for people banded in Alabama. I'll give it more than one day for comments... so, if you are from Alabama and you have had no problems, please add your time line to this thread and we can get an idea of the length of time you can actually have a band with no complications. Please note that "complications" does not include gas/burping and normal pouch symptoms. I'm counting anything that required surgery or special treatment which prohibited the normal function/benefit of the band. Thanks, y'all!!

I thought it was a good question too, but, I am kinda surprised that no one from Alabama has replied. Although Jack is great and has wonderful comments, he is not a Bama man... so, this is not a good indicator for people banded in Alabama. I'll give it more than one day for comments... so, if you are from Alabama and you have had no problems, please add your time line to this thread and we can get an idea of the length of time you can actually have a band with no complications. Please note that "complications" does not include gas/burping and normal pouch symptoms. I'm counting anything that required surgery or special treatment which prohibited the normal function/benefit of the band. Thanks, y'all!!

Well, so far so good with me, but it's only been about 7 weeks! I haven't noticed a lot of "old timers" around the Alabama board. So, you might have a problem coming up with some data. You may want to ask the question on the general boards, even though your answers wouldn't be specific to Alabama. I would think any percentage of problems would be the same everywhere.

Hi Di,

I did post to the general board at the same time I posted Alabama- unfortunately I have only had four responses to my question. I find this is rather disturbing and don't quite know how I feel about it. Thanks for your input and good luck with your band!

Bandofhope, I too am fairly new, only 8 weeks out. I wish we could get more activity on this site. I had to jump through the bc/bs hoops, but had my surgery in Chattanooga. Maybe we all need to check in with each other more often on this site.

I am not from Alabama either but I know someone who lives there. Does that count? :smile:

Anyway, one thing to consider before becoming concerned is something I read just a few days after coming to this board. Keep this following thought in mind:

Most people who are doing fine do not come to a forum board. There are those who like to interact with other bandsters who are doing fine who do come but most who are doing fine are just out there living their lives.

I know many who have the band are doing great with no problems who do not routinely use the internet, let alone know that LapBandTalk is even here.

I went to the HysterSisters forum board while I was pre-op and then for a while post-op while I was healing from my hysterecotomy. After that, I just sort of quit because I was fine. You will find much of the same thing here.

You will read alot about people with troubles because they are looking for answers. Its kind of like when you have a problem with your computer and go to a forum to find a way to fix it. Very rarely do you find people who get on there just to say "Hey, I have had my computer for 5 years and it is fine." You will find those looking for help and you will find kind souls who go there to try to help with answers.

Hi Di,

I did post to the general board at the same time I posted Alabama- unfortunately I have only had four responses to my question. I find this is rather disturbing and don't quite know how I feel about it. Thanks for your input and good luck with your band!

I honestly don't think there will be a lot of people that are having problems hanging around the forums (there is one group here, lap-band problems or complications, though). I remember you saying you had been to a support group meeting. Maybe you should come back and ask specific questions of those who have been banded. Or even try a different support group where you might find people that have been banded for varying lengths of time. I take it you're looking for people that have had their bands for more than a year or so.

Hi,

I'm a band hopeful, I have just started the six month hoop jumping for BCBS and was hoping to find more posts as well, but I love that the newbies are posting as that really helps me to be more prepared. I have learned more information here on this forum than anywhere and partially because I didn't know what questions to ask - but thanks to all of you kind souls I will be better prepared!

Smiles,

Patricia

Good Point!..I didn't take into considertion that folks with no problems would have very little desire to patronize this website. I did go to the June group support meeting at St. Vincent's. I enjoyed it very much, except for the lady that kept talking and wouldn't sit down...HA! Anyway, it's summertime and it's hot and my mind is wandering with question after question concerning my lap band surgery. I had been on such a high and ready to go get it and now my mind is putting the brakes on a little. This to shall pass in no time adn I'll be full speed ahead and ready to put the band on. Thanks for the the advise...I'll be banded before you know it!