Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A complication! Unlocked band.

Hi November Nymphs,

Time for me to come out with my problem, too. Sades and I have been in touch with each other as we have each had similar problems of lack of restriction, still have hunger and eat too much at one sitting.

Last week, I had an x-ray and the Dr. says my band is unlocked. He wanted to go in right away and fix it, but my schedule did not allow me to go back into surgery until Aug 5th.

Like Sades, I am sad that I have to be cut open again, go through the anesthesia and the gas pain from being filled with gas, not to mention the recovery again.

Since Sades has found out her problem, I plan to meet with the Dr before my surgery to try to be sure I have the right diagnosis. If my band is unlocked, was it locked at surgery or did it come open? If it came open, will it again and I guess then it could happen to any of us with the same type band.

I knew I was not losing weight fast enough and wondered why it was such a struggle for me. If it were not for the walking I've been doing right now, I would have gained weight back.

Anyway, I just wanted my friends to know in case you ever have a problem, this would be one thing you'd know to check out. I will post in the complication section to try to help anyone else that does not have restriction and feels the band is failing them.

Judy

I am very sorry that you are having to go through this! Please let us know what the dr. says and hopefully he can fix the problem. Many of us got the same APband and I did not even know that it could come unlocked!

Thanks Tyman, that's why I posted so if anyone else had a problem with getting restriction with a lot of fill in their band, this would be one more option for them to have checked.

I would have be so much closer to my goal by now, so it's kind of discouraging, but hopefully it will all work out in the end.

Just think though, that means that you lost all that weight all by yourself! You should be very proud of yourself!

I think the band came unlocked somewhere along the line, so I think I had help from the band earlier. Fear of getting things stuck after each fill, kept me from trying foods and being good, so who knows. I never lost over forty pounds before I got the band, so I think it was working for awhile.

I am still proud of the weight I've lost and I do feel I was working with my band, if it was helping me. I obviously wasnt' waiting around for it to help me all by itself. That's an accomplishment for both Sades and me.

Hope it never comes unlocked again!

Hi Shortgal, I know it is a very frustrating time for you (& me). It's hard to believe that these things can happen. As you know I'm booked in for a redo this Thursday and totally packing it!

Everything you said about this whole debarkle I totally agree with... being cut open again, recovering, following the strict post op diet and the pain, oh the pain! :biggrin:(

Judy, I am so sorry. That is just awful. At least we now know why you and Sades didn't have restriction. Like I said to Sade in her post this is just a 2nd start and it will really kick up your weight loss.

I am here for you if you need anything. I know it is hard but everything will be great once it is fixed.

This is a good lesson for all of us to get our bands checked under flouro. I had it done 2 weeks ago when I got my last fill. I wanted to be sure everything looked okay since it had been 7 months since surgery. The 1st year it is so important that we listen to the signs and get things checked out if we think there is a problem. I am so glad you both now know the problem and can get it fixed.

I had been complaining about no restriction for the last 5 months but I was told that I just need more fill but when I got to 8.5cc and then 9cc without restriction the dr sent me for a barium meal just as a precaution. This should have been discovered much sooner than this. I don't know why they didn't see it at the initial xray when I was first banded.

I have to say I am suspicious that my band is really unlocked. I plan to ask the Dr more questions before the surgery date.

I want them to show me what a normal locked band looks like compared to mine on an x-ray.

And I never had an xray at anytime to confirm band placement. And the office PA wanted to send me for an endoscopy first. I pushed for a less invasive test first and happy I did.

Why does fruit go down slowly for me, if my band is unlocked, is that possible and how is it possible?

I just need to understand so my doubts don't linger.

I let you know what the Dr. says when I see him. Hopefully I'll see him next week.

Thanks for the support!

First time I've heard of this. What type of band do you have? Just want to let you know that you've done a great job with your weight loss since November! Once your band is fixed, you'll soar to the end!

First time I've heard of this. What type of band do you have? Just want to let you know that you've done a great job with your weight loss since November! Once your band is fixed, you'll soar to the end!

I have the Allergan/Inamed 10 cc band. Hope it's as easy a fix as the Dr is telling me.

Hey Judy,

I'm so sorry you have to have surgery too. This is getting scary! I'm sure as I said to Sades that this too shall pass and before long the rest of your weight will drop off. You both have been trying so hard and lost weight regardless of the lack of restriction. Imagine how great you'll do when the band is fixed. Stay positive and remember your Nymph friends are pulling for you!!

Well, at least this time around you'll know what it will feel like post-surgery. I'm so sorry this has happened! And you've had awesome weightloss to date! This really sucks - two November nymphs having complications. :smile:

I'm starting to get nervous, my fellow slow losers all have something wrong with their bands.... I guess I better buckle down and go get another fill and see what happens. It's going to be lonely here in slow loser land after Sades and Judy start racing ahead.

Thanks everyone for the support.

I have an appt with my Dr next Thurs. as I have a long list of questions to ask before I have the second surgery.

My incisions are just starting to disappear and lighten up, so to be cut open again and have all that gas pain will not be fun. Plus I will have to go through the post op diet stages again (just like Sades has to endure).

I am happy that I am going into this surgery lighter than I was, that's for sure. I lost most of the weight after surgery and after the fills while I was doing liquids for two days.

this is one complication that was never mentioned to me and I doubt that the possibility of the surgeon missing her stomach completely was ever mentioned to Sades as a possible complication.

What kind of informed consent do we sign, when these things are not mentioned?

I'll let you know the outcome of the appt. next week.