Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A complication! Unlocked band.

I didn't get much sleep last night mulling over all my questions. I found old threads about people with unlocked bands and it really seems rare and yet my Dr says I am his second. He never mentioned a defective band (just that it needed to be closed) so that would seem like it's his error from the beginning. I am going to try to press him to admit this. It can only be a defective band or a surgical error, in my mind, unless he has another explanation.

I know they worry about lawsuits, I really don't care about that, I just want to be taken care of properly after the second surgery and this includes the new round of fills. This is a big inconvenience to us both and they should just be sure we are accomodated for appts and fills as necessary. I have never had a problem getting in for fills before anyway. But he has mentioned being discharged the same day and I am not happy about that either. I prefer to stay overnight and have a barium swallow before discharge.

We'll see how it all plays out.

Glad you're feeling better!!!

I actually lost a little more weight, so that's a good thing. I really only want to lose about 25 more pounds, so hopefully a working band will get me there, fast.

Edited by shortgal

I think you need to say that to him about it being rare and yet he's had 2 patients. He needs to know that you are an aware person and he can't fob you off. Have you thought about calling the manufacturer and asking them about it. They would have to know how this kind of error occurs and whether it could be a dr's error.

I also think he needs to agree to looking after you at no cost to you for another 12 months. I know I wasted at least 6-7 months going back and forth for fills etc.

Glad to hear you've lost more weight. You certainly don't want to be going backwards with your weight which would just add to your stress.

I'm obviously losing again, finally which is a bonus. Of course I would have lost more than that by now if I'd had restriction. Better stop sounding bitter!

I did e-mail the lap band company ( no reply). I'm sure they don't want to admit it's possible their band failed.

That's why I thought it was brave of your Dr to just admit his mistake and fix it. Definitely that's the better way to go, in my opinion.

I do plan on asking how this can happen to him twice, since as far I can tell it's rare. I hope I can keep my nerve up and yet not blow up. If things don't go well, I might ask to talk to a hospital administrator to mediate between us. I just don't know how the Dr will re-act to my questions.

At least tomorrow will be here soon and hopefully I can get some resolution and answers so I can move forward.

Walked again yesterday but I bought new sneakers ( old ones were giving me blisters) well the new ones are giving me blisters in different places. I'm am getting frustrated, how many pairs of sneakers does it take to walk blister free? Not walking today to rest them, doubtful for tomorrow as appt is in the a.m and then I have to go order flowers for the shower and buy undergarments for my dress for the wedding. I won;t want to try on tight strapless bras after the surgery.

Try calling them, emails can get lost or ignored.

Tomorrow will be here before you know it. Hopefully you will get your questions answered and then move forward to a positive outcome. I'm 1 week out and I'm glad it's over. Fingers crossed that nothing else goes wrong of course!

I've got 2 pairs of walking shoes, 1 at home and 1 at work and both are great to walk in, never had problems even when they were new. Hope you find some relief soon.

I hate trying on underwear, good luck with that! :blush:

Well I saw the Dr. this a.m. He showed me my x-ray compared to a closed band and I have to agree the diameter of my band appears larger.

He feels strongly that's it related to the new band's locking mechanism. the lock was changed to allow surgeons to open it easier if a patient needs a revision, like for a slipped band. Patients were complaining because they had to purchase a new band if they needed revision.

I hope the second surgery, which is scheduled Aug 5th, proves that he is right and that the solution is as simple as re-locking my band.

I feel better that the Dr. really listened to me and understood that going through a second surgery and all the possible risks, is not easy.

I guess the next update will be after Aug. 5th and until then, I'll just try to maintain my weight loss.

Maybe later I can join a fall Nymphs challenge.

Judy, I'm glad you feel a bit better about all this. Did he say how it is being paid for? It sounds like he's blaming the band company but maybe he had to do something in surgery to make sure that it didn't come apart.

5 August will be here before you know it. In the meantime enjoy your walking and your wedding shower.

cheers

Sades

Judy, glad the doc was easier to talk to. I still don't understand how it could just become unlocked. I wonder how often this happens with the new band. Anyway, does he just have to lock it or is he replacing it? Could it unlock again?

It will be over before you know it and you will be kicking our butts in the fall challenge!

I asked those questions. He did not have a band available to show me how it works, but he said if it appears defective when he gets in there, he'll put in a new one.

he said the day of surgery he'll be sure to show me one and how it works.

I'm at his mercy, I guess.

I have to guess he would not want to have a second problem with me and will make the right decision at the time of surgery.

Before surgery, I will definitely remind him to test and re-test the lock before closing me up.

I'm sure I'll be nervous until I get restriction, but then I'm kicking nymphs butts!

Cindy,

I am very sorry about your band troubles, I know when all is fix you will kicking all out butts. Good luck on your surgery on 8/5 I will be praying for you.

Marie Gabrielle

Cindy,

I am very sorry about your band troubles, I know when all is fix you will kicking all out butts. Good luck on your surgery on 8/5 I will be praying for you.

Marie Gabrielle

Thanks Marie, I appreciate your prayers. Judy

Cindy,

Marie Gabrielle

Hi Marie,

Actually, its Judy with the unlocked band. I'm just going for a fill today cause I can eat too much which I happily did on Cape Cod the past 5 days. Oh well, the party's over!

Judy...glad things went well at the your doctor's appt. I can't even imagine what you are going through but I do know that I like your odds after the correction. You will be kicking our preverbial butts.

Cindy