Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to the forum - just getting started

I have struggled all my adult life with being overweight and trying every diet know to man and have even made up some of my own. I need to lose about 70 pounds and have a BMI of 35. Most of the people I have discussed the lap band with tell me I don't need a lap band - just put my mind to losing it because it is not that much weight when you consider the risks. I am a high risk patient - I have had 2 stents in my heart, have had a blood clot in my femoral artery that nearly cost me my life and I have had abdominal wall hernia repair 3 times. Every day I wake up fully determined that I am going to stick to my diet but can't even make it through the day without cheating. If I could lose the weight myself I would but I can't. I am diabetic and have high blood pressure. The weight loss would probably end my need to take medications for these conditions. What I hope this forum will offer me is support for my decision to have lap band surgery rather that trying to scare the heebie-jeebies out of me. I am just getting started, I have attended the seminar, seen the surgeon who said the surgery was "doo-able" but would be complex because I have mesh from the hernia repair, and tomorrow start the nutritional visits. My surgery is a good 6 months down the road. Please send encouragement my way.

I have a question for you, if you can't stick to those diets how do you think you'll go on the preop? I'm not trying to put you down or anything but if you can't even go a full day without cheating how will you go on an all liquid diet for 2 weeks?

I can relate to the lower BMI, endless diets (30 years) and the not-so-encouraging support from others for Lap Band surgery. My BMI was 33 but I also had high BP, backaches every day, foot pain, headaches as well as high cholesterol. The only part I would be concerned with is that your whole outlook on food will have to change. After going through the process, it's a long haul until you have the band regulated. I made the mistake of thinking the band would do more of the work. Don't let anyone tell you it's the easy way out. It's work, but it's worth it. I've lost 50 lbs. as of the 4th of July. Took almost 18 months, but that's OK. I'd like to loose 10 more, we'll see. BP has gone from 189/98 to 135/75 (much better...although still on meds). Cholesterol is down from 210 to 171 (Oatmeal every day since I could eat mushies...). So life is good and every time I step on the scale and see a lower number for the first time, it reinforces my decision to change those bad habits once and for all. I say go for it! The renewed confidence which comes with a healthier self-image is worth more than you'll know. Good luck, soak up all the knowledge from all these banded friends and be prepared for the new life you'll be living with your band. It's not bad, just different.

Hey Linda, I know exactly how you feel about not even getting through the day without cheating - in the morning you are so fired up about doing it properly and then come the afternoon things just go blahhh.

Well, I was exactly the same, and I had surgery 9 months ago and I have lost 19kgs (41 pds), and I feel great. It's the best decision I have ever made. Goodluck with your journey - Rastis x

Okay, I was in the same boat...but I decided that I didn't want to be on it anymore. I lost my 20 lbs pre-op and continue to lose. You have to have the mind set that you can and will do this. As for the hernia repair, I had that too and the doctors deal with that type of stuff all the time. I also got tired of taking meds, my diabetes was controlled by diet and exercise, now I'm off of the cholesterol meds, and the BP has dropped so low that I was getting dizzy everyday. Was on two types and now only on one to control the Migraines. Hopefully that one will be cut in half next week. These are the small goals to look forward to...you can do it! We all are doing it. Everyone is right, you will find support here that you won't find anywhere else. We are all in this together and have one common goal: to be healthier and happier! Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement. I went today for the first Nutritional assessment and I am psyched-up. As I said, I need encouragement and I realize the band is only a tool, the real work has to be done on my part. I think the band will be the tool I need to stick to the diet knowing the benefits I will have later on down the pike.