Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Happy to Help / Almost A yr Out Bandster

Hi , My name is Mindy , Im happy to help anyone in need .

Here is some info about me .

Female

Married

2 boys

Live in Texas

July 16 I will be banded a yr

Starting Weight 250

Current Weight 145 -50

Total Weight loss to date 105 Pds

Pds to goal 25-30

**I am currently totally unfilled so i have gained a little weight hence the fluctuating weight LOL*****

My Mentor style : I tell it like it is , I do not beat around the bush . I believe in following the rules ordered by docs. I firmly believe that is what has gotten me to where i am today , which is losing 105 pds in less than a yr . I am realistic i realize we all mess up and eat things we like .

I am cool w/ that.

So if you would like a no non sense person to help along your rd ,possibly become friends a long the way . Drop me a line

Mindy

I have been wondering through these forums and I don't know how I got to this place, put you posted 38 minutes ago. It must be fate.

My name is Debbie, as you can tell by my log on. I didn't know what to write so I just went with my name. I will be 53 in October and I have been "obese" for 30 years. You name the diet, I have tried it or something very simular. I am a Weight Watchers Lifetime Member! Yeah for 5 minutes. Anyway I have come a long way to get to this point from thinking about it to actually doing something. And even that wasn't easy.

Once I made a decision to check into the lap band it took me weeks to get up the nerve to ask my insurance if they would cover it. I could not afford to self pay. When I called I got the nicest woman on the phone. I was embarrased and afraid, but she actually helped me. When I asked about the possibility of getting the Lap Band she surprised me by telling me she and others in their office had it done and they were all very happy. She encouraged me and told me what steps to take. Talking to my Doctor was the first and hardest, but even he surprised me. At first he started off saying what a bad idea it was and then he changed and said he had heard positive things about the Lap Band and he supported my decision.

I had to be referred twice. The first referal was to a place that reminded me of all the Diet Doctors I have gone to over the past years. The Doctor was rude, made me feel small and stupid and I cried when I left. I was so discouraged. I felt like someone had kicked me to the curb and took away all hope.

I went back to my Doctor for my asthma and I mentioned my experience. I have had bad experiences before, just recently I had a lump in my breast. The Surg Dr did a biopsy, no cancer, but said I had to have it removed. My Mom and Aunt both had Breast Cancer so of course I said lets do it. While on the table I told the Dr, Are you sure you are in the right place (I knew he was no where near the lump) Of course they shut me up - gave me drugs to knock me out and it was over. Turns out I am SEVERLY alergic to tape, another horror. After a couple weeks I was checking myself and low and behold HE TOOK OUT THE WRONG LUMP.

So back to the story, sorry for the deture. I mentioned to my Dr what had happened and that she said I was going to a horrible Doctor and that I should go to her. My Dr was shocked, and then I told him how upset I was. He told me I had the right to a second opinion. I didn't know that, I thought I had killed my only option.

My second referal was with the USC Bariatric Department. They told us Obesity is a disease and over eating is an addiction. It is not our fault. I took that to mean I am not a lazy fat pig who couldn't just get her will power going. I went to the seminar and met with the Surgeon. I have my date, September 17 and my date to meet with the Nutritionist. I still am waiting on my referral to the Psy and for my treadmill.

Now I am excited. I am very shy around people I don't know so this whole forum thing is hard for me, but I am determined and I am making myself take the steps. I even posted my picture, trust me there are very few pictures of myself around so putting this on the internet is very hard for me.

At my job I give 150% - I have always thought I had to in order for people to look past my outside to see my inside.

So now here I am. Ready to give 150% to this. So now that you have heard my story, will you be my Mentor?

Let me know. I am sure you must get hundreds of requests.

Thank you

Debbie

Debbie , I just sent you an email

MIndy

Hi

I would love to have your help as a mentor. It was one year on June 10.

I've had a couple of issues-had lost 38 lbs, then had a lot deflated-gained 10 lbs in April; then had some major issues about 3 weeks ago had to be completely deflated.

Next Tues the 15th, I will be filled again. I have a total of 115lbs more to go. I'm using the 15th as a new start, new beginning. Trying to forget the defeat of the past-the band will not keep me from eating junk...

Anyway

Female

will be 38 on the 23rd of July

married 1.5 years

no kids

work part time

all my hobbies are sedentary-scrapbooking, reading, sleeping, movies

hate exercising, there really is no exercise i like to do

am plagued with Migraines, but working with neurologist to get them under control again

Anyway-would you be interested in helping me?

Thanks.

Cup cake i sent you an email .

Let me know if you did not get it

Mindy

Hello! We are the same start weight. I need some help. Would love to have a buddy. I'm so impressed by what you accomplished! Did you do low carb and lose 2lbs steadily? Would love to talk.

Hello! We are the same start weight. I need some help. Would love to have a buddy. I'm so impressed by what you accomplished! Did you do low carb and lose 2lbs steadily? Would love to talk.

Sending you an email .

But to answer your questions No i did not really do low carb intentionally at least. My pre op diet was Low carb high Protein . I had to do that for 2 weeks. I knew breads, pastas, ect could be an issue for me post op as far as not being able to eat them .

So I decided to try to avoid carbs as much as possible. At least the "Simple carbs " . I do eat Complex carbs such as veggies ect.

I can tell you that after not eating them for almost a yr My cravings are almost none , cravings for CRAP that is .

I was totally unfilled about a month ago and started eating some carbs BAD idea. I crave CRAP again .

My "Average" weight loss per week is 2.5 pds a week .

Some weeks I lost more some less.

I'll send ya an email too Be happy to help

Mindy

hii would just like to say that i am very impressed with your progress. I hope to achieve the same sucess once I am banded. I am currently awaiting tricare approval. I posted a message a few weeks ago talking about how I wasn't sure if I was getting the right surgery(I keep wondering if I should have applyed for gastric bypass). Only one person responded and she was very negative saying she had the same delima and ended up getting the lap band and was very unhappy. I just know that with a five year old and a one year old at my feet all the time the bypass would be to hard of a recovery for me. I really want to lose the weight. Im 5 2 and 216 pds. I would love to see the kind on results that you have seen I would love any advice you could give me. Thank you for keeping my hope alive. Gotta go my baby needs me.:party:

Hey Mindy

I emailed you back last Saturday, did you get it? Let me know.

b

I think i got it did you get an email back from me ? LOL

Mindy

I only ever got the email that said tell you what's been going on. I didn't hear back from you after I sent an email on Saturday.

Ok sorry , I'll check again . I am SUPER busy I have my son's 16th bday was today and im leaving on vacation Monday . So let me check again

OK i got cha, I just emailed ya

Mindy