Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in 5 days...NERVES! NEED ADVICE!

Hello! I am only 5 days from surgery and have some questions. Now that it is so close my nerves are KILLING ME. Here are some, anything will help!

-How does one throw up after surgery with such restriction?

-Is there ever a time when you mourn the loss of eating regularly?

-Is the post-surgery liquid diet TOO hard to follow?

-How do you know when to get fills?

-Do you ever feel the lap band...as in when your just plain walking do you ever go,"oh, i can feel the band!"

-How do you approach people who ask you why you aren't eating normally (those who dont know you didnt have the procedure)?

-What is recommended, from bandsters, that are good liquid foods that are surgeon approved that ACTUALLY taste good?

If there is any other advice you can think of its appreciated! Being only 19 I feel like the youngin of this site, so I appreciate everyones support!

:thumbup:*Josh*:eek:

event.png

I'm scheduled to have it done on monday, but my surgeon required the liquid diet 2 weeks before and after..so I've been on it for almost 2 weeks, it's hard, but only when you're around food. I stopped thinking about food after the second day.

Josh, for being so young, you have asked some really good questions. I would like to know the answers myself. I think it's natural to feel nerves, and I'm willing to bet some of those feelings are feelings of excitement. Being my age, I'm at that state that I just don't care anymore. I went to my doctor thinking that I was going with the bypass, and willing to lose my hair, and possibly look and be malnourished, and risk the complications because I wanted it so bad. When I found out about the lap band more, I knew it was right for me. I have no illnesses (knocking on wood) and I didn't want to risk being sick for the rest of my life because of surgery that wasn't medically necessary, so to speak. But anyway, I think if it's something you really want, you will be fine and the nerves are normal. I think the physical feelings that are going to be new, you will become adjusted to them. Just like when I put on a few lbs or lose a few lbs, I become adjusted to it. I many not like it at first, but I get used to it. I expect we will get used to the port inside and learn how to eat as we go along, with help from people here.

The biggest thing I think that I am dealing with is that I just don't want anyone to know. I've told my Boyfriend, my daughter, and my mom, and that's all. I don't want anyone at work to know. I expect I'll have to tell my boss, but noone else. I don't want to have to explain myself, or hear advice, or have people say I cheated my way to losing weight. That's BS. Obviously, from the posts on this site, this is NOT an easy way out. It's hard work, but we will have a great tool. Do you think a butcher can carve a piece of meat with a better knife? Of course!

Best of luck to you. You will be great! I envy you doing it so young. You have your whole life ahead of you. Just think of the possibilities!!

Bonnie

I was very nervous before getting my surgery also, but everyone on this forum, the confidence in my surgeon and my Mom were all I needed to get me through it.

I don't really miss or mourn food, I am not restricted yet but can eat everything I used to just in alot smaller amounts (although I have not tried steak or salad yet, will try it on Tuesday). I remember how miserable I was after a binge or eating too much and like this feeling more.

Some banders eat what they want in smaller amounts and others still follow a diet....I do track my food on the food diary but eat what I want..I will track at least until I am restricted and hope I can continue like I am now. You will find what works best for you.

I can't feel the band on my stomach, right after surgery I felt like a slight burning sensation but after a few hours it was gone. I would never know it is there if not for having surgery. I know that my port is there because I still have some swelling. I look to it as my freedom band and port.....the other day I actually rubbed my belly in gratitude LOL

My doctor makes the determination of whether to fill or not, he bases it on how much I can eat and for how long we can stay full, he doesn't put any in during surgery and won't consider it for at least 6 weeks.

The waitress the other day asked me if there was anything wrong with my food, I just said no and asked for a take out box. I would always feel self contious eating being so large always thinking that others were thinking "why and how can she eat all that" so them seeing me eat less doesn't bother me....I feel like my skinny friends.....in fact since the surgery my self estem has increased for I now know I have a chance at being thin (well not too thin it's not in the genes) some I am telling I had surgery and others hopefully will never know......I am proud that I took the step to better health and are proud to say it.

You are lucky! I wish I would have had the option of being banded at 19 and had help for my emotional eating.

I think a little fear is good, it kept me on track with my pre and post op diet.

We are all here for you and will help you along. Just listen and trust in your surgeon and follow his rules above all, you don't want to ruin this great "gift" you've been given.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Hello! I am only 5 days from surgery and have some questions. Now that it is so close my nerves are KILLING ME. Here are some, anything will help!

-How does one throw up after surgery with such restriction?

-Is there ever a time when you mourn the loss of eating regularly?

-Is the post-surgery liquid diet TOO hard to follow?

-How do you know when to get fills?

-Do you ever feel the lap band...as in when your just plain walking do you ever go,"oh, i can feel the band!"

-How do you approach people who ask you why you aren't eating normally (those who dont know you didnt have the procedure)?

-What is recommended, from bandsters, that are good liquid foods that are surgeon approved that ACTUALLY taste good?

If there is any other advice you can think of its appreciated! Being only 19 I feel like the youngin of this site, so I appreciate everyones support!

:thumbup:*Josh*:thumbup:

event.png

J

Hi, I just had surgery 2 months ago...and like everyone I was nervous but mostly because we don't know what is going to happen and are not quite sure what to expect.

To answer some fo your questions:

First, I was not nauseous at all after the surgery, and I hear that if you do start feeling sick, they give you medication for that. You are also avoid throwing up at all, that could affect your pouch.

From my experience I do believe that I went through a short mourning period and many people go through the "last big meal before surgery" syndrome. I tried not to succumb to neither one. Yes, we probably cannot eat as much as we did before the band, but on the positive side...I look at it as I will finally be able to have a "normal" relationship with food. That is, I can have a small amount of everything and be satisfied and not want to eat all of it and then feel guilty about afterwards.

You can't feel the band, you do feel restriction from the band..that meaning that you will feel satisfied with a small amount of food. What you do feel is the port. In the beginning ,of course, since you are still in the healing process it hurts a little, nothing unbearable, and later on depending on certain movements you will feel it, but not all the time.

As for people asking you about eating small amounts of food, you can say that you are on a new diet, which you are! They don't have to know that you had the surgery if you don't want them to know.

Hi - had my surgery a week ago and had some of the same questions - good for you having surgery so young - wish I had done this years ago -you are way ahead of the game! your nerves and questions are normal this suite helps a lot so keep reading! I am on the post op diet although I started "mooshies" a little early with no problems - I find as long as I don't overeat there is no problem at all with throwing up and for right now the hunger isn't there -they also give you meds for nasea - I havn't mourned food because I feel I will still be able to eat - just small portions -when I was constantly on a diet there were times when I hardly ate anything! the doctor decides when to fill based upon your hunger and weight loss - and I also don't want a lot of people to know but it does help telling some who you know will support you - a few people have said they were proud of me - so you never know- my doctor had me on carnation liquid Breakfast no sugar added - it's easy to find, tastes good, and does the trick - the ready made kind is available from carnationbreakfast.com - best of luck and remember to keep asking your questions! - Meredith

Edited by mpoulten

i went to nuitrisnest thirsaday,even tho i dont have a date yet for lap band they ready to send my stuff into bcbs,i can eat before surgery,not a liwuad diet i was surprized,think nite before nofood after 11 pm,its 3 meals a day the whole time but small ones,my dr says carnation and Atkins isnt good choice plus,they told me Protein Drink 1 month after lap band ,then stop them,just food then,on;y time u go back pn drinks os after a fill.so differnat then what some other dr say.