Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I am just beginning my journey! My doctor is Francis Teng, MD, out of Las Vegas, and I have been following his work for almost 6 years. I have my consultation on the 15th, seeing the psychologist and nutritionist next week. My insurance is not paying, so I'm doing it all myself, with a little help from my mother. LOL! But, I have a 12 year old daughter who is at weight loss camp now and she has been there 2 weeks and has lost over 13 lbs so far. I want to set a good example for her, because she is doing it for me. I have entertained the idea of weight loss surgery for years now. My brother had the bypass done last year and has lost over 150 lbs. He had so many health problems so the surgery probably saved his life. I was set on having the same surgery when I learned more about the lap band. I like the idea of losing slowly, no cutting, less complication/risk, among other things, so I decided to go this route. I have about 140-150 lbs to lose. I would be ecstatic with 100. I found this site yesterday and I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here.:thumbup:

Welcome, Vegasgirl! There is a ton of information floating around on this site, and lots of knowledgable people to help you with support and questions. Good luck on your journey.

Hey! I also am having Dr Teng do my surgery and my INS wont pay so i am "self pay"... i went to his seminar back in Jan when i was pregnant... I just had my baby 5 weeks ago so i made my consult appt... It was yesterday... and today i did the psych eval and lab work... and im doing all the other appts next week... and in 2 weeks im having the surgery... July 18th... i didnt expect for all this to happen so quick! Im having my baby and surgery all on my maternity leave! Crazy!! Did they give you a surgery date yet?

MyMeshelle! I'm so excited to meet you. This site is overwhelming and I'm trying to soak it all in. I just went to the seminar Tuesday night. I scheduled my consult for July 15 and Tina said she would call if she had a cancellation. She called tonight, but I really can't go this Monday since I have an employee out that day already. So, I kept the 15th. I have psych on Tues and I'm calling Brandon for nutrition consult next week. I kind of wish I would have taken Monday, but I'm off that week of the 15th, so I think I'll keep that date. Plus, I don't think I can have surgery till Sept. I had no idea it would be that fast! I was thinking I was going to have to wait a while. I have one last class left that will be over Aug 29 to get my Masters and I don't know if I can study, write, AND recuperate. Congrats on your baby! That is amazing that you are having it done so soon. Are you not breastfeeding, I guess? Looking forward to chatting more.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Liz R

Trying to update my ticker - I'm down 100 pounds!! 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • alisasings

I joined BariatricPal in 2008 & I FINALLY made the descision to have WLS!! I'm so excited & not sure what I need to do to get the ball rolling, but I made an appointment with my PCP for 7/19. It's a start I guess.
      · 0 replies
    • Elnaz

Losing weight is my dream
      · 0 replies
    • OhMyGawdItzKla

I joined yesterday when I was struggling with this preop diet... 
      It typically comes and goes, the hard times and easier times. I'm on day 6 of 14  shakes, water, sf Popsicles and jello. And I might actually be losing my mind. But, oh dear lord has the fear set in. Not about the surgery itself, but life afterwards. If I feel this crappy on the preop diet, am I going to feel like this forever after? 
      I know most of the answers are no, not forever. It might be worse after for a while, then get better. I know it's a more of a mental challenge than physical after the first couple weeks of healing. I get all of that. But I'm starting to feel scared about losing myself afterwards. 
      It might be my hormones or desire to chew something salty talking.. It may go away soon or tomorrow.. I can hope, anyway. But right now.. The fear is real. 

And this liquid diet can bite me. 
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Fear is normal, but if it makes you feel any better, I'm 4.5 months post-op and the pre-op diet was by far the hardest part of the whole process. There will be challenges and a lot of new things to learn, but I can honestly say at this point I feel so much more "back to normal" and was even able to go on a week-long vacation with my kids without stressing over it. It's so worthwhile.

2. OhMyGawdItzKla

@NickelChip This actually does make me feel better! Thank you so much! After the onslaught of Covid, we've all had to deal with a "new normal", so I know it's possible. It's just the fear and frustration in this moment that makes me question if I can find another "new normal" afterwards. The thought of just a few more months seems daunting some times, but I really do appreciate input and real experience. I'll use that to get me through for a few more hours! LOL. Thank you so much! And I'm glad everything is going so well for you! ❤️

• mamabear30106

I started my 10 day pre op diet yesterday I need flavor!! I'm not big on the chocolate protein shakes so I just got to use up what I have was thinking about freezing it to make it like a ice cream so its something I can chew a little. Idk this is hard but I know I can do it just need to find new things to try 
      · 1 reply
      1. JennyBeez

You can try. I've read other people have had good results with protein-shake popsicles, etc. My personal experience with it? Sucked.

I tried making 'fudgesicles' with a couple different flavors of a premade shake, as well as a protein powder I blended myself and all of them came out revolting? The powder ones, all the protein sunk to the middle; the premade shakes, the popsicle had a disgusting texture and the protein seemed to leave a weird fluffy film on the outside? I couldn't stomach it.

Maybe look into flavoring additives? I was able to have sugar-free coffee /soda syrup flavorings, sugar-free drink flavorings and baking additives like almond, rum or pepperment extract. The extracts helped me the most as they added no extra sweetener.

On the other hand, if you can get your hands on an unflavored/unsweetened protein powder, the syrup flavorings are perfect. I love to use Boost "Just Protein" (which is unflavored) with milk and a Chai-flavored sugarfree syrup.

Good luck!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches