Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sweet Spot Advice needed

Hi Everyone,

I was banded 28 Nov 07 and have lost 44lbs so far. I'm getting discouraged because after 7 fills I still don't have restriction. My will power is getting a little low. I think I have about 4.25 cc in a 14cc band and my doctor is conservative with the fills, about.5 cc's at a time. The largest fill I've received has been 1cc and another at 0.75 cc's.

I'm starting to wonder if this was the best decision, since I can still consume alot of food. I know I will get there, but I didn't know it would take so long. For 2 months I didn't lose any weight. Then I finally lost 3lbs before my last fill, which was about a week ago. I haven't noticed any difference yet.

Any suggestions?:thumbup:

I only get about .5cc at a time in a 10cc band. right now I'm at about 6.5cc and am definitely at restriction. However, before I got there, i went 3 months without losing. Now I lose between 1-2 pounds a week which my doc says is fine. I was getting a small fill once a month or 2 months until I was full enough. You definitely need to get some more fills. How often are you allowed to get them?

However, 44 pounds is still great!!

I hear you! I thought I'd get the band, pay a lot of money, get a few fills and be on my way. No! I had surgery 2-5-08, with a 9cc Realize band. I've had 6 fills. I'm at 6.0 now but still feel hungry a lot! I'm down 24 pounds but I feel like it's from dieting not help from the band. So maddning! I feel your pain. I guess we keep getting fills at 225 a pop. Plus I have to drive 4 hours to get to the Dr. Hang in there! I guess some day we'll get there. Like you I thought I'd be down 50 pounds by now. My friend is down 80 pounds with the 4cc Allergan band. They wouldn't give it to me because my bmi was lower at 32. Hope you get restriction soon. Keep up the good work. Chrissie

Thanks for the encouragement. My Dr. usually likes to fill every 4 weeks. My husband and I got banded a week apart, so when he goes in I get him to tell the Dr. I haven't noticed any change. This time he told him he would probably want to fill me under fluro. In my opinion I don't think anything is wrong with the band. I just don't have enough of a fill yet, but if he wants to be cautious, then I can go along with being proactive. He charges $500 a fill. Thank God my insurance covers 100% each time.

I know it will happen but the mental game is definitely a challenge. Maybe ifI had known going in that it could possibly take this long I would have been better prepared. I don't mind the weight coming off slowly, I just think I would have a better success rate if I had proper restriction. I would probably lose the recommended 10lbs per month instead of 0-3lbs a month.

Please keep in touch because I definitely need the support.

I am right with you. I have lost 43 lbs in a year. I was at the sweet spot, but then I had to have some taken out because I was sick...other than lap band complications....and could not eat. So they took some of the fill out. I am going in Monday and asking if they can put the fill back to the level it was before I had to have some taken out.

I understand the discouraging part of fighting will power so much. First ask your doctor if he/she will increase the fill amount for you. Remind him of how you are able to lose the weight, but you are battling with hunger and getting discouraged. Hopefully that will help. Otherwise, hang in there because the sweet spot will come. I wanted to have lost my weight in a year, but my year is here so I will have to hope for more weight loss by December. Keep working out. If you want to snack since you can eat more snack on carotts, veggies, and fruit with a slice of cheese. That seems to help me. I enjoy a desert with 1/2 cottage cheese, 1/2 apple, and sprinkle with cinnamon and splenda. It is great. Then you have your Protein drinks/shakes. I notice if I eat the right amount of Protein, I am not as hungry. Maybe that will help you.