Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all: My surgery is scheduled for 7-22. I'm starting to hear things from friends who's surgeons are recommending bypass instead of the band and that they have been hearing from European doctors that the band erodes and has bad complications about 5 years into it and they are changing their opinion of the band.....anyone have any advice or resources that can tell me an unbiased opinion about the device?

Yes there is a possibility that the band will erode but when you put the complications of the band next to the bypass the band is definetly the safer way to go, yes with bypass you loose alot straight away but I've heard heaps of accounts of people that have gained that weight back after a couple of years, with the band if you start gaining weight again all you need to do is get a fill. If you've chosen this then try to ignore your friends comments, they might prefer the bypass where as you have obviously chosen the band - also the fact that the bypass has a mortality rate has turned me off it completely, yes I know theres a mortality rate for the band but at 1% compaired to 11% or whatever it is for bypass I'm happy withthe choice I've made

Sometimes the band doesn't work for people, everyone is different. Personally I would rather start with the band because it is reversible. My aunt had GP and did fine for the first year or so, but is now permanently on a feeding tube. My uncle also had GP and is doing amazing! I really do think it depends on the person. But like I said the LB is reversible.

Well, everybody is a little biased, girliesmom....from us bandsters to the docs that do the surgeries. There are a lot of people that have been banded for years and have done great. Also, there are a lot here that have had various complications from the band.

My personal opinion.....you have to be careful that some docs aren't trying to steer you towards the bypass because they can get more money for it. And europen doctors? Who cares what they're thinking (unless you happen to live in Europe)?

I chose the band because it is minimally invasive and kinda gives me a "nudge" towards living a healthier lifestyle. It boosts my self -esteem to know that I have to put work and effort into my weightloss, that I don't have a "free ride". But I know that the band isn't right for everybody, so keep doing your homework and researching until you feel comfortable with your choice. Good Luck!

I had Bypass surgury in 1992 and am now scheduled for lap band surgury on 7/21. With bypass or stomach stappling your stomach does expand. Although I have not gained all of my weight back, I have gained about 50% and not too hopefull for a revision surgury. I have chosen lapband as it is minimally invasive. Both surguries change your entire life immensely. You need to be ready for the drastic change in your eating and social lifestyle. Good Luck!!

Plain,

I'm greatly offended that you would say that only you have to put "work and effort into their weightloss" and so that you don't have a "free ride" as you call it. There is no "free ride" when it comes to Obesity; it's a daily struggle to pull yourself out of bed and face the world, whether you are pre-op, post-op, or no-op

If you want to help girliesmom find out information, here's one study to show her: Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding versus Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: 5-year results of a prospective randomized trial , you will see that the conclusion was that the results of the study have shown that Roux-en-Y results in better weight loss and a reduced number of failures compared with Gastric Banding, despite the significantly longer operative time and life-threatening complications.

And right away, the next study says : Laparoscopic adjustable gastric band versus laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass :Ends justify the means? , you will find the conclusion to say they believe that Gastric Banding should be considered the initial approach since it is safer than Roux-en-Y and is very effective at achieving weight loss.

Conflicting information everywhere... Which is the best option? It's the one that gives you piece of mind, girliesmom, whether it's a BPDS, a LapBand, or Roux-en-Y... to each his or her own.

Never, ever, is any solution for Obesity been a "free ride" to those dealing with and living with the effects of Obesity.

Well, everybody is a little biased, girliesmom....from us bandsters to the docs that do the surgeries. There are a lot of people that have been banded for years and have done great. Also, there are a lot here that have had various complications from the band.

My personal opinion.....you have to be careful that some docs aren't trying to steer you towards the bypass because they can get more money for it. And europen doctors? Who cares what they're thinking (unless you happen to live in Europe)?

I chose the band because it is minimally invasive and kinda gives me a "nudge" towards living a healthier lifestyle. It boosts my self -esteem to know that I have to put work and effort into my weightloss, that I don't have a "free ride". But I know that the band isn't right for everybody, so keep doing your homework and researching until you feel comfortable with your choice. Good Luck!

CBIC.....I can tell that you're greatly offended! When somebody goes to the trouble of breaking out the inflammatory red typeface, well.....they must feel strongly about something indeed. The thing is, you misunderstand me. I myself am banded. Why would I refer to obesity as a "free ride"?

What I was trying to say (and failing miserably for you to take such offense) was that the lapband doesn't let me eat whatever I want and still lose weight. I can't kick back and rely 100% on the band to "fix" me. Even with the band, there is a lot of work involved, both physical and mental, to be done. Do you dispute this, or are we finally on the same page?

See, I'm not one of those bandsters that think it's the greatest WLS ever. Nor do I think that Roux-en-Y is the greatest....or the DS....or the sleeve. What I think is that the best WLS is the one that best fits the lifestyle of the individual. You think that too, right?

So, when I told girlesmom to do the research, it was heartfelt. She has to be the one to decide which WLS is best for her.

Edited by plain
had these weird <P> things in mah text

Great post CIBC. One of my best friends recently had bypass surgery and I have seen that it is not a free ride for her. She also has to work at losing weight by eating the right things and exercising. I just think many people have heard otherwise about bypass, I know I had heard the weight would just drop off with bypass. It is a common misconception - thanks for setting us straight!

What I was trying to say (and failing miserably for you to take such offense) was that the lapband doesn't let me eat whatever I want and still lose weight. I can't kick back and rely 100% on the band to "fix" me. Even with the band, there is a lot of work involved, both physical and mental, to be done. Do you dispute this, or are we finally on the same page?

Thank you for the response, Plain, but as I interpret in your post above, I think you're still being a wee bit judgemental. Bypass or other WLS do not allow people to eat whatever they want and still lose weight. They don't kick back and let rely 100% on their WLS do all the work to "fix" them.

As mentioned before, it's a daily struggle for everyone with Obesity issues.

I agree every WLS require dedication, commitment, and focus on both mental, and physical challenges. But roadbocks or challenges are put in our way so not to stop us, but to force ourselves to become stronger and overcome them, and when we can't we should be able to look to our peers for help us overcome those challenges...

I choose the lap band as my tool for weight loss. There are six women who I work with that have had gastric bypass. One has gained back every ounce she lost. She grazes all day long! Another co-worker is still slim and trim after 8 years but she now suffers osteoporosis and low Iron. She has to have iron transfusions once a week for at least a month. She says her body does not absorb Vitamins and nutrients at all. Another co-worker who suffered from malabsorption of vitamins and nutrients passed out while driving her school bus. Thank God she had no children on board! This happened because of the side-effects of her bypass surgery. She broke several bones and injured her back in the accident. She will probably never return to work as a bus driver. She is still out on disability and the accident occured two years ago! She broke so many bones because of osteoporosis. I was told this could happen to any bus driver who has had gastric bypass.

Yes the choice is up the individual. You should choose what you feel suits you best. I choose the lap band as my tool of choice. Lisa :thumbup: