Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slipped Band

Cindy G, What town in RI will you be in? I'll be in Narragansett Aug 29, 30 and 31.

good luck with the fill.

Judy

Judy, I will be in Narragansett on Periwinkle Road from 8/23-8/29. I'll be heading home with my son and my cocker spaniel in the afternoon or early evening. We actually have the house until the 30th but hubby and I are seeing Journey that day. It takes me about 3 1/2 hours to get home. Maybe we could meet for lunch before I head out? What time are you arriving?

And of course, you will come visit me. Hope the fill went well and I am keeping my fingers crossed that you don't have to many issues. I haven't had a fill in almost 3 months and still get stuck daily. I don't know when it will loosen up but I couldn't eat more than 3 bites of breakfast..did alright for lunch and had trouble with dinner. Finally gave up and ate an ice cream sundae...I know it was bad for me but I was hungry and it went down smooth. I've gotta get rid of the ice cream from this house...dang it.

Cindy

Ughh!! I only had .5cc put in to add up to 7.5 and I can barely swallow Water. I don't know why my tummy is so sensitive to the fills but I always feel lousy afterwards. My last fill was back in March. I waited too long. The nurse practioner who does the fills and counsels me said that she is concerned that I haven't lost more. She said that I'm not in the zone yet but one or two more fills should do it. She said I need to judge by how hungry I get and how often. Not by how often I get stuck which is almost daily. She suggested using a food chopper to chop my food up like you would a toddler. Great way to live! Oh well, I need to keep reminding myself that it's not forever...I hope.

Cindy, I have had ice cream as a meal too. I even had a sundae for lunch today before the fill. But the scale tonight is showing that those new 3 pounds are off already, thank God! I couldn't even get down a cup of tea tonight.

Edited by cindyg1212

Ughh!! I only had .5cc put in to add up to 7.5 and I can barely swallow Water. I don't know why my tummy is so sensitive to the fills but I always feel lousy afterwards. My last fill was back in March. I waited too long. The nurse practioner who does the fills and counsels me said that she is concerned that I haven't lost more. She said that I'm not in the zone yet but one or two more fills should do it. She said I need to judge by how hungry I get and how often. Not by how often I get stuck which is almost daily. She suggested using a food chopper to chop my food up like you would a toddler. Great way to live! Oh well, I need to keep reminding myself that it's not forever...I hope.

Cindy, I have had ice cream as a meal too. I even had a sundae for lunch today before the fill. But the scale tonight is showing that those new 3 pounds are off already, thank God! I couldn't even get down a cup of tea tonight.

I was hoping that it would be ok for you....some people are just more sensitive to fills and we must be them. I only have 2.25 cc's in my 4.0 cc band. I can't take much more than what I got in now. I have decided that I can't eat Breakfast in the morning and that I may just do a shake because it is the easiest thing to get down. I hope that you aren't to tight that you have to have some taken out.

Cindy

I was hoping that it would be ok for you....some people are just more sensitive to fills and we must be them. I only have 2.25 cc's in my 4.0 cc band. I can't take much more than what I got in now. I have decided that I can't eat breakfast in the morning and that I may just do a shake because it is the easiest thing to get down. I hope that you aren't to tight that you have to have some taken out.

Cindy

Even before this fill, I couldn't eat for the first few hours after I woke up. The nurse said that the band is tightest after sleeping and to first have something hot like tea or coffee. I usually have some Soup for lunch even though my doc doesn't want us to have soup cause of the hidden carbs and salt. He's very strict although I'm sure that if I followed his plan exactly, I would have lost a lot more weight by now. He's all about getting the weight off as fast as possible. I'm sure I'm a disappointment to him.

Problem was that before this fill, I could eat a lot once the band loosened up for the day. I still can't get down more than a few sips of liquid at a time. I'm really tight but not in pain. If it starts to hurt, I'll call the doc's. I'm lucky that the nurse will open up the office for patients in an emergency and take some fill out if necessary. She wants to add another .5 in 2 weeks. Don't see that happening.

Great to see that your fill is working Cindy. I guess it is a good idea to lose all the weight in the first 12 months in case we end up losing the band for some reason. At least we just have to work at keeping if off after that rather than trying to lose without the band. Boy am I sounding negative here but after my situation, I'm a little more on edge.

Great to see that your fill is working Cindy. I guess it is a good idea to lose all the weight in the first 12 months in case we end up losing the band for some reason. At least we just have to work at keeping if off after that rather than trying to lose without the band. Boy am I sounding negative here but after my situation, I'm a little more on edge.

You're right, Sades. I do worry about having a problem especially since I was able to eat so much lately. This fill definitely stopped my eating in its tracks so I guess its working. I'm still having trouble swallowing liquids comfortably. I did manage to slowly get down a little blended Soup tonight. This is why I hate getting fills but it is fun to watch the scale move down so fast. Unfortunately, I usually hit a plateau after the initial weight loss after a fill.

How are you feeling? Here I am complaining about a small fill and you're recuperating from surgery! I'm such a baby!! :thumbup:

I'm fine thanks Cindy. I'm feeling pretty good, just a slight pain around the middle at times. I'm on mushies now but ate some things I shouldn't have on Thursday night at a party... rice balls and I ended up with the worst gas I've ever experienced. It really scared me. For some reason I thought I was 3 weeks out only to realise I was only 2 weeks out. The GP at my dr's surgery said I could start eating things but I think rice balls were a bit too much.

I think it must be hard to go through what you go through each time you have a fill. I never had a problem with my previous fills because I obviously wasn't banded so I don't know how I'll be this time around. I never want to get that tight that I can't eat or PB so I'll be watching it closely.

Sades, I'm so glad you are doing so well. Are you hungry? I was starving about a week after surgery. That was the hardest part.

I vote for a trip to Australia. It sounds like we have a lot of people in the Northeast. I am in Texas.

You're right, Sades. I do worry about having a problem especially since I was able to eat so much lately. This fill definitely stopped my eating in its tracks so I guess its working. I'm still having trouble swallowing liquids comfortably. I did manage to slowly get down a little blended Soup tonight. This is why I hate getting fills but it is fun to watch the scale move down so fast. Unfortunately, I usually hit a plateau after the initial weight loss after a fill.

How are you feeling? Here I am complaining about a small fill and you're recuperating from surgery! I'm such a baby!! :teeth_smile:

Hey Cindy, I just hope you're getting enough liquids so you're not dehydrating. When you say this always happens with a fill, does it usually "loosen up" after a while so you're able to eat a bit more?

I hate to disagree with medical professionals, but I don't know about what your nurse is saying - that you should gauge your fills on how hungry you are rather than how much you can swallow. If you're not able to even swallow liquids, that's not good. I'm just watching your back here - I know you read about my little unfill scenario and I don't want anyone to have to go through what I did. :thumbup: Be careful, okay? :lol:

Sades, I'm so glad you are doing so well. Are you hungry? I was starving about a week after surgery. That was the hardest part.

I vote for a trip to Australia. It sounds like we have a lot of people in the Northeast. I am in Texas.

Hi Jill. I'm in the Houston area and was banded by Dr. Spivak on July 16, 2008. I still get excited when I see someone who's been banded by Dr. Spivak, too.

I can't wait until I get my fill. Now that I've recovered from the surgery it's almost like nothing happened. My appetite is not quite what it was pre-banding but I can certainly eat more than a cup of food at a sitting if I allowed myself. Did you find it very difficult until you got your first fill?

Hey Cindy, I just hope you're getting enough liquids so you're not dehydrating. When you say this always happens with a fill, does it usually "loosen up" after a while so you're able to eat a bit more?

I hate to disagree with medical professionals, but I don't know about what your nurse is saying - that you should gauge your fills on how hungry you are rather than how much you can swallow. If you're not able to even swallow liquids, that's not good. I'm just watching your back here - I know you read about my little unfill scenario and I don't want anyone to have to go through what I did. :lol: Be careful, okay? :thumbup:

Thanks, Linda. I appreciate your concern and your unfill experience definitely has me thinking. I'm on day 3 after the fill and still on liquids. Still having a difficult time swallowing. I have to take small sips or it comes back up. I constantly need to burp after drinking too. So annoying, yet I'm losing again. I'm not in pain so I'm going to wait it out. The nurse practioner wants me to have another fill in 2 weeks. I don't think so! This did happen after my last fill back in March which is why I waited so long for another one. It did loosen up eventually but took about a month before I could eat more comfortably. I should have gotten this fill sooner as I have not lost in weeks.

On a "lighter" note (don't mind the pun), I took my teen daughter to a Taylor Swift and Rascal Flatts concert tonight up at Bethel Woods, the old Woodstock site. She called me while she was out today and said so many people she knew were going and really wanted to go and have a "girls night out" with her mom. She's 16 so that doesn't happen too often anymore. I went online and 3rd row, center seats were released today so I grabbed them. It was the closest I ever was in a concert and we had a great time. I prefer classic rock over country but they were great! All I had there was an ice coffee which took me the whole concert to drink. Oh, well. Can't wait to get on the scale in the morning!

Edited by cindyg1212

Thanks Jill. I must say I wasn't hungry in the first 2 weeks but am noticing I have moments of it now. Doesn't take much food to take it away though. It's hard because it is Winter here so it's easy to want to eat. I eat 3 meals a day with a couple of Snacks. Low fat yoghurt or low fat jelly & custard.

Thanks Jill. I must say I wasn't hungry in the first 2 weeks but am noticing I have moments of it now. Doesn't take much food to take it away though. It's hard because it is Winter here so it's easy to want to eat. I eat 3 meals a day with a couple of Snacks. Low fat yoghurt or low fat jelly & custard.

I forgot that it is winter down under. I ate a lot yogurt during the mushy stage. It was great. You are doing great!

Thanks, Linda. I appreciate your concern and your unfill experience definitely has me thinking. I'm on day 3 after the fill and still on liquids. Still having a difficult time swallowing. I have to take small sips or it comes back up. I constantly need to burp after drinking too. So annoying, yet I'm losing again. I'm not in pain so I'm going to wait it out. The nurse practioner wants me to have another fill in 2 weeks. I don't think so! This did happen after my last fill back in March which is why I waited so long for another one. It did loosen up eventually but took about a month before I could eat more comfortably. I should have gotten this fill sooner as I have not lost in weeks.

quote]

Well, if you're anything like me, you'll be fine if you're not in pain and as long as you're really super careful, which it sounds like you are! I was not. :wink2: I should have let up at the first instance of pain, but I pushed it too much. I'm glad that you're keeping my little episode in mind. I'd hate to have gone through all that pain for nothing! :)

Thanks Jill. I had a couple of Water crackers with dinner tonight, so nice to chew something crispy... they melted in my mouth before I swallowed them of course. I haven't weighed myself for a few days so I'm not sure if I've lost any more... I hope so !! :)