Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good lost! Now gain whats the deal??

Greeting everyone, i was banded this may 5th and by god grace & mercy lost 34 as of 06-28, then gain 5 pounds after that . as of today lost the 5 but is this normal or shall i ask if anyone done this before i know the scale may stand still but go up??? wow i walk 1-2 miles 3 or 4 times a week Water down watch what i eat i just want some advice on what am i doing wrong. i started at 298 needing to loose at least 100 + pounds to loose i know its a slow changed but going up was not part of the plan.:lol::thumbup::ohmy:

298/ 269 /170

may 5th 2008

Karen MacKenzie MD

Visaila California

I'm not being banded until tomorrow so I can't talk from experience but I've read a lot that we shouldn't always pay attention to the numbers on the scale to determine success. Wow -- with all that exercise you sound like you're doing great. Don't forget muscle weighs more than "fat". Celebrate your non scale victories (NSV).

Good luck!

For me it is normal to lose weight well and then all of a sudden gain 2 or 3 a few days later it is back off. Who knows, maybe a little extra salt in the diet and I retain a little Fluid or maybe it is muscle, who knows, I am just glad I re-lose it. Remember to always weigh at the same time each day.

Remember you are in this for the long run. In my case it was not unusual to lose weight and then gain weight. I walk quite a bit which I find relaxing. When I do gain a little weight for a while I tend to concentrate on the NSV(Non scale Victory). In my particular case I no longer use a cpap machine or take medicine for diabetes.

You will have normal ups and downs in your weight, it has to do with Water retention, salt intake, calorie intake and exercise. It's all a delicate balance. May I suggest that you weigh once a week and see a better picture of the direction you are heading that way? Otherwise count your calories. Make sure you get 800 to 1000 calories no more for rapid weight loss. Eat your Protein first and realize this is all a process, not an instant fix. It took a while to get here, it will take a while to get to the land of the formerly heavy. Good news is: you WILL get there and you are well on your way!

i wonder how many other folks' doctors have told them not to weigh themselves at home. my surgeon told me he wanted me to get RID of my scale and only be weighed at my office visits. he said that too many folks worried about what the scale said and didn't work diligently enough at following the behavioral rules we need to learn so that the band will work well for us.

no, i didn't actually get rid of the scale, but i don't weigh every day and i do follow the rules pretty faithfully--i have missed out on a lot of the angst that this thread talks about, because i don't see the day-to-day fluctuations.

i recommend it to you. it has been truly liberating for me to just follow the rules and let the weight at the doctor's office be a "surprise gift."

There is no way I could wait until I get to the doc's office to weigh. You are the brave one.

I am trying not to weigh myself daily. Weighing frequently helps me readjust my eating and/or exercise if I have gained.

Everyone has said great things about hormones, sodium and Water retention.

In addition, your weight loss has been great so far, but one of the things to remember is that that much weight loss in such a short time frame means that much of that loss is Water, not fat. As such, your body will go up and down as your body adjusts to its losses. I would suspect that your body is just trying to balance itself.

Remember, if you are eating nutritionally soundly, within your calorie goals, and not loading up on fat and suger, the scale changes are not showing a true "fat" gain, they are just measuring total body weight, including changes in your water levels.

Many people are tempted to drink less, because they think, less water in, less water to sit on my body. For most of us, the opposite is true - the less water in, the more the body wants to hold on to what it has because it needs it. I would suggest that you are getting at least 10 glasses of Fluid a day.

I, unfortunately am quite addicted to my scale, but I have had enough time to learn not to panic when the scale goes up a bit or stays the same for 2-3 weeks. I know my body is taking time to adjust to the changes its is going through, and if I just stay calm and keep to my routine, the scales will eventually move again.

I am not sure if anyone suggested it already, but I would also say - measure yourself regularly. You may or may not lose weight, but your measurements will show the truth.

Good luck and relax :)

You will have normal ups and downs in your weight, it has to do with Water retention, salt intake, calorie intake and exercise. It's all a delicate balance. May I suggest that you weigh once a week and see a better picture of the direction you are heading that way? Otherwise count your calories. Make sure you get 800 to 1000 calories no more for rapid weight loss. Eat your Protein first and realize this is all a process, not an instant fix. It took a while to get here, it will take a while to get to the land of the formerly heavy. Good news is: you WILL get there and you are well on your way!

im weighing weekly from 06-28 til today i lost 5 pounds thats what i put on back then.

thanks every one for your advise the scale is back in my favor !! the big5 that kept coming and going is final gone and it took some extra pounds with it..yahoooo!!!!!!!!1