Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill and wondering.......

Hi everyone. I just had my first fill yesterday. I had 2.1 cc. I have a 10 mm Inamed band. I forgot to ask the doctor how much can this band hold? Also, he told me 5 days of liquids!!!?? Why so long? I was reading other posts and seems like no one is every told 5 days. His nurse told me 1-2 days and then he said 5 days. I am feeling really bloated today and kind of icky feeling but able to take liquids just fine, is this normal? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure the 10mm Band holds 4cc of saline, so you are over half full! I would definately do the liquids for the 1-2 days, and maybe move to soft mushies for the remaining days? I haven't had a fill yet so if you don't like my advice, don't take it! Seems like 5 days is a long time for liquids, but you really should take it easy on your stomach. It's not horrible advice, that's for sure. Of course, he's not asking ME to do liquids for 5 days!!! Good luck!

I Just Had My First Fill Today And It Was 2cc's, I Was Told Liquids For 3 Days And I Thought Gosh 3days Ok I'll Try.... 5 Days?? I'm Wondering Why Do They Differ So Much?? Good Luck To You.. I Still Havn't Tried To Feel The Restriction Yet.. Don't Want To Get Sick.. I Told Him About The Pb How It Has A Nick Name, He Thought That Was To Funny....

Hello Everyone

Just had my first fill yesterday also, 1-cc I told the Doc that I did not want alot I am so scared about getting sick!!! I am on liquids for 3-days, kinda had a rough morning today, disolved my meds in Water (very little) and I kinda got sick, but after that I have just had alot of gassy feelings, I hope that's what it is, my stomach is constantly growling and the middle of my back hurts, does anyone know what all that is?? Sure could use some advice. Also, I lost 6 more pounds, (yea)

Suntres, definately follow the doc's advice about 3 days of liquids, especially if you are feeling this way a day after a fill. Sounds like you are very restricted, plus the stoma area gets swollen after a fill. Take it easy on your tummy, go liquids the full time your doc says, and then some if the symptoms don't improve (the sick, gassy, growling tummy) and I think the middle of the back hurting may be soreness from the inside band area. It just took a good squeezing...like I said, take it easy so the swelling goes down. This is why I don't want a fill! I hate that tight restriction I had post-surgery. It was very difficult!

Thanks, so much for the advice I am staying on liquids I just wish that uneasy feeling would go away, I even had it before I got the fill. Can I ask a ?? what is PB????? I am wondering if my stomach is still healing it has only been 4-weeks, I was eating tuna and chicken and refried Beans, taco meat last week just very little bits, now that I have had the fill I kinda feel like I need to burp or something not sure what it is? HELP

You all are so much help I do not know what I would do without all of you

Thanks so much my firends

God Bless

Suntres

PB stands for Productive Burp or Belch. It's when what you ate reappears...not so much a vomit as a wretching of the stomach to bring up what can't go down. PB=Bad. Always do liquids for a day after a PB.

You have been banded 4 weeks and got a fill? Wow. My doc won't do a fill until at least 6 weeks out. Definately stick to full liquids (anything that you could suck through a straw...you don't have to eat it that way) until that uncomfortable feeling goes away, and the gassy burpy feeling.

I have taken to drinking about 2 ounces of Aloe Vera juice (Wal-Mart, about 8 bucks for a gallon) at least once a day, sometimes twice. It's very healing. But I also take Prilosec for reflux.

Maybe try some Tums or Gas-X for the burps. You will feel lots better when you burp. Just take it slow and shy away from the solid foods, even well-chewed, till you feel better.

If you take it slow, you will improve quickly.

Jack: Are you talking about week 7 after surgery or after a fill? My doctor was also strict, liquids 3 weeks, mushies 3 weeks right after surgery. This is my first fill and it is 5 days liquids! Tomato Soup seems to make me feel like I am eating something good and fills me up fast now so maybe I can actually make the 5 days after all. I feel better today too, yeah!! Can't wait to start dropping the pounds again, I was at a standstill and able to hold tooooooo much before the fill. You are doing great, I come here and look at your posts from time to time, they are humorous! Thanks everyone for your input.

Misty - Every doctor has his own rules, and it is best to follow what your doctor tells you.

I only have to do liquids the rest of the day after the fill, then back to solids the next day. But, like I said, please follow your own doctors rules.

Mistybreezes,

So give me the real scoop. Did the fill hurt? I am getting scared, I get my first fill next Tuesday (5/17). Give it to me straight so I can mentally prepare.

I think the anticipation was worse than the fill itself! If you can imagine a straight pin being stuck in your stomach, it just is a little poke, doesn't really hurt. The barium was worst though. I had to drink four big mouthfuls and that stuff is really yucky! Then for the two days after the fill I felt really bloated and gassy feeling, but today I feel great. I find liquid Soups make me feel like I am really eating, Tomato Soup anyway. I can do the five days!! You will be fine with your fill!

Tanya, ask for the little needle. The first time I went for fills I almost passed out, just cause I had a lot ofo anxiety and....I'm a big chicken when it comes to needles. Now I take a half a valium and put some cream on before I get to his office, so it's a breeze now.

Jack, you keep on waiting and you'll have lost all your weight and won't need one, you're doing such a great job.

Betty of course it didn't hurt, you're a Harley Mama. ;-)

Guest j. lynn

I have to do a week of liquids after a fill...but my doc is very conservative. I had to do 6 weeks of liquid after my surgery. If you have the 10 mm band, it will hold 4 cc of liquids...that said, 2.1 CC is pretty agressive for a first fill, in my opinion.

It's good that you can take in liquids -- you need to be able to do that. You won't know if this fill is enough until you get to solids. Follow your doc's orders on that.

When you do get to solids, you should be able to eat 2-3 ounces of Protein, 1/4-1/2 cup of veggies at a meal and feel full. Remember, full now means NOT HUNGRY--not Thanksgiving day stuffed. You should feel "full" for 3-4 hours after eating.

You might need another fill after this one if you aren't tight enough. But you might be tight enough, but getting in too many calories or too few calories or not enough Protein or not enough Water. How's the exercise?

You lose weight when calories in is less than calories out. The band helps us to limit our calories in, but it's up to us to manage the equation.

jayme