Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I would love to join. I just finished "Memory Keeper's Daughter" (great book) as well as "Water for Elephants". I read just about anything. I just started "The Doctor's Wife" and I bought "The Historian (about Vampires).

Can I ask a question about "water for elephants"? I know I will sound quite crazy but do any animals die in the book? I was given it as a gift and was told it is great but I have this weird thing where if animals die I get upset. Blood and gore people not a problem....:cool2: I read Memory Keeper's Daughter It was excellent.

I am reading Isacc's Storm. I chose it because I loved another book by the same author, Erik Larson, which was called Devil in the white city. Devil in the white city was about the chicago world's fair and a serial killer.

I was especially interested in the architecture and landscape architecture people in the book that designed many of the worlds' great parks, like NYC's Central Park.

Isacc's storm, I've only read a few chapters so far, much of the beginning of the story has a lot of technical info about weather and how forecasting has changed over the years. The story itself is about a huge hurricane that destroyed Houston Texas in the 1900's.

so far it's ok, but I enjoyed the other book much more.

I also bought Pillars of the Earth and will start that after I finish this one.

Has anyone read pillars of the earth?

Shortgal - LOVED Pillars of the Earth. He's got another one after that that's good too. I took an Art History class and I was finding a lot of interesting stuff that related to that in his book, so that may be why I liked it so much - the architecture and stuff.

Loved the Other Boleyn Girl too - LOVE historical fiction

It has been awhile since I read "Water for elephants". If you have compassion for animals, you will still love it (yes, there is some abuse of elephants...it is set back in the circus haydays of the 20's).

The "Other Bolyen girl" was great...the movie did not do it justice (like most movies).

Let's make a decision soon so that we can start August 1st. Maybe if we throw a couple of titles around someone can do a poll.

We could even read a classic novel too if you are interested (I am wanting to read the leather bound Easton Press novels I pay dearly for!!)

Shortgal - LOVED Pillars of the Earth. He's got another one after that that's good too. I took an Art History class and I was finding a lot of interesting stuff that related to that in his book, so that may be why I liked it so much - the architecture and stuff.

Loved the Other Boleyn Girl too - LOVE historical fiction

Linda, Haven't started the book yet. Still plowing through (slowly) Isaac's Storm. So far I am not enjoying as much as his other book I read, Devil in the White City. You might enjoy that one if you haven;t read it, because it's about the building of the Chicago World's Fair and lots of references to famous architects and landscape designers.

Judy

It has been awhile since I read "Water for elephants". If you have compassion for animals, you will still love it (yes, there is some abuse of elephants...it is set back in the circus haydays of the 20's).

The "Other Bolyen girl" was great...the movie did not do it justice (like most movies).

Let's make a decision soon so that we can start August 1st. Maybe if we throw a couple of titles around someone can do a poll.

We could even read a classic novel too if you are interested (I am wanting to read the leather bound Easton Press novels I pay dearly for!!)

We did vote on Janet Evanovich "One for the Money". It kind of got blipped over though - easy to miss! :ihih: I'll start reading it soon. Has anyone else started? I'm not sure when we'll actually start talking about it - let's just say when everyone gets around to it. Then when we've all read it and talked, we can vote on another one.

What kind of Easton Press novels do you have? I love classics too.

I like what we're doing here too - just listing books and what we liked, didn't like. I'm getting lots of great ideas here for future books. :seeya:

Oops, I guess I missed that!

As far as the Easton Press, I am getting "The 100 Greatest Books Ever Written" and the Horror Set. They come about every 6 weeks. For every trashy romance novel I read, I make myself read a classic too. One of these days my goal is to finish my novel (I have started it...just have writer's block:cursing:)

I will go out and buy "One for the Money" this week.

Too funny! I do the same thing - try to read one of the "100 best ever written" books. But I'm not as strict as you - I only do one for maybe every 20 trashy books. Then I also force myself to read a parenting book once in a while. I'll read a chapter of it and then go back to read my "good book", then the next night read another chapter.

Anybody else read One For the Money yet? It's really good! I'm almost done it.

I just bought it yesterday

Well, I've finished it, and if there are more I will definitely read them. They were really good. And a real blast from the past - 90's style. Anyone else reading it or about to read it? I can't wait to talk about it.

Well, I've finished it, and if there are more I will definitely read them. They were really good. And a real blast from the past - 90's style. Anyone else reading it or about to read it? I can't wait to talk about it.

Hey So you read the first JE book? Arent they great?!?!?! I love there I think there are now 17 books!

shortgal - i'm going to request devil in the white city from the library today!