Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell me if this is totally inappropriate - but I saw a few mentions of good books on one of our threads and I just loooooove books (this is how much :thumbup:) and book clubs (especially among good friends!), so would anyone here be interested in a book club, discussing books, what new things you've read, what's your fav's, what's good, what's bad?

I LOVE to read as well. I'd definatley be a part of a book club. Anything that gets my mind off of my stomach growls & burps!

I used to read all the time but haven't as much in the last couple of years or so. The internet is killing me!! I love reading psychological thrillers. Mary Higgins-Clark, Dean Koonz (sp).

I definitely don't think it's inappropriate. I wish I could join you, but I'm back in school working to get my certification to teach. I'm covered up in required reading. LOL

Oh, I'm glad to hear a few of you are interested! Well, how should we start?

Wendy, I'm back in school too working on my Masters in Mental Health Counseling. I wish I had time to read something I want. A quick scan of People magazine seems to be all I could fit in these days. I have so many novels waiting till I graduate next May. I'm going to spend all of next summer catching up on some trashy novels!

Well what have you read recently? It might inspire me to start reading again.

I've gotten into young adult fiction lately. It's surprisingly good - just as good as adult stuff. So I read all the Spiderwick Chronicles which were really good, now I can't wait to see the movie. If you get them though, get all of them since every book only takes about an hour to read. The one I'm reading right now is Interred with Their Bones by Jenniffer Carrell. It's kind of like the Da Vinci Code (which I LOVED!) except instead of art, it's based on Shakespeare.

I just read "Water for Elephants". Great story!! "The Time Traveler's Wife" was also great.

My mom was in a book club and I think they suggested certain titles and then everyone voted on what to read. Just an idea. I am a total bookaholic so would be very interested.

Alison

My mom was in a book club and I think they suggested certain titles and then everyone voted on what to read. Just an idea. I am a total bookaholic so would be very interested.

Alison

Okay everyone, let's throw some book titles out there and how about in a week we'll all vote on it, read it, and talk about it a month from now. Sound like a plan?

Let's also post books we're reading right now - the good, the bad, the ugly - the good, so I can read them, and the bad and ugly so I won't read them. :thumbup:

I'm reading a really good one right now - another young adult - called The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. I guess that could be my month's vote. It's about a boy in this current age, and all about Greek Gods who have never actually gone away but are living with us right now. It's pretty cool. It's actually teaching me a bit about Greek mythology. I love books that will teach you a bit while you're reading them - that's why I LOVE LOVE LOVE historical fiction so much. You get history the easy way.

The last lot of books I read were the Chronicles of Narnia. Never read them as a kid and thought they were great. I haven't read anything in the last 3 years. My sister read a Child Called It by Dave Pelzer about an abused child. She said it was excellent reading so I'm planning to read it as well.

I have read A Child Called It and boy is it good - very very sad story about a child abused by his mother.

I have been meaning to read these:

1. Stolen Innocence - by Elissa Wall: My story of growing up in a polygamous sect, becoming a teenage bride, and breaking free of Warren Jeffs.

2. Saturday - by Ian McEwan: Follows an ordinary man through a Saturday whose high promise gradually turns nightmarish.

3. The Dowry Bride - by Shobhan Bantwal: Caught between tradition and the truths buried in her heart, a dowry bride will discover the real cost of the only things worth having in life.

4. The Woman Who Can't Forget - by Jill Price: The extraordinary story of living with the most remarkable memory known to science.

Right now I'm reading a book called Many Lives, Many Masters by David Weiss - he was on Oprah the other day and I just thought it sounded interesting. He's a Yale educated psychiatrist who treated a girl who ended up describing past lives. Not sure I believe in all that but I do find it interesting.

Lin, I think the Lightning Thief sounds good too! Okay, that's my contribution! :thumbup:

Alison

Sades,

I'm having a heck of a time getting the ticker thing at the bottom! I can get to the website but then don't know how to upload it here! Can you tell me how to do it?

Thanks!