Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone live in the northern panhandle?

Just wanting to know if anyone is from the northern panhandle of WV. I am from Wellsburg. I am scheduled to get my surgery on July 17 in Denver. Would enjoy talking to someone local.

Hi! I'm not a West Virginian yet, but hope to be in two years or less. I currently live in northeast Maryland, and will be moving to the Keyser area (near Cumberland, md).

So my first question is...why do you have to go all the way to Colorado for your surgery? If that sounds nosy, I don't mean to be. It just seems a long way to go for this procedure. Although, come to think of it...Mexico is a lot further, and many of the banders have gone there.

I have had my initial consultation, and now start the neverending tests...you'd think I needed a heart transplant. So far, I'm pleased enough with the doctor and his staff...although the dietitian and I will have a few serious discussions, I'm sure. I will certainly compromise on the quantity of the food I'm eating (like I have a choice), but not on the quality. If it doesn't taste good, I'm not going to eat it. If I have to chose between no-fat sour cream (her idea) and none at all, then my choice will be none at all. That other stuff is just vile. Well, enough of that.

I wish you the best of luck. You're further down the road than I am, and any advice you can give me would be welcome. My fingers are crossed for your success!

Hope to hear from you soon-

Cammilla

I was born and raised in the Kanawha Valley but now live in NC.

Cammilla: It was nice to hear from you. The reason I am going to Denver is because I am self-pay and it only costs $9950.00. I went to two different at hospitals locally and went to the seminars but when the insurance wouldn't cover it, I came on this site and met some wonderful people that have gone to Dr. Kirshenbaum. I did some research and decided it would be cheaper to fly there.

I agree with you with the tests. I had so many tests done. Thank God that insurance did cover that. I will have my surgery next Thursday. I am getting nervous. I hear so many people talking on this site about be able to eat "around" the band and still being hungry. I know that you are supposed to lose slow on this but I get scared. I am spending alot of money.

Does your insurance cover this surgery? I wish you luck on your journey. I am here for any advice. The worst test was the psychological test....boring and long. I don't know if you have to follow a six-month diet before insurance will cover this but if you decide to side-step all that, Dr. K doesn't require it.

I am currently on my pre-op diet. Dr. K is easy on that too. I pretty much have to go on the Atkins diet for 10 days. Not too bad.

Keep in touch,

Lisa

Hi Lisa! Wow...next week, huh? You'll do just great; attitude is 90%. If you want it to happen, then it will. But I'll be thinking positive thoughts, and saying prayers for your success. Will you be in Denver very long? And where do you spend your recovery time? Do you have friends or family nearby? Are you taking your computer? I'll be sure to keep in touch.

Yea, I can hardly wait for the head doc to get ahold of me. If I don't wind up in the looney bin, then I'll be set to go. But just this once, maybe I'll keep the sarcastic retorts and give-a-sh*t attitude to myself! So the gastro stuff wasn't too bad? That's the part that concerns me most. Well, that and the needle used for the fills!

I'm not sure if eating around the band scares me, but clogging it definately does. In fact, it terrifies me. I'll probably puree everything for the next year!!

I hate to tell you this, but my insurance is covering it all, including any possible plastic surgery later on. In fact, they're just thrilled at not having to spend all that money on my current meds. I have a three to six month wait, but that is not an insurance requirement. It's mine. I may wait until the last week in December.

I agree with you about the Adkins diet. It's the only one that has ever worked on me. So I'll humor the cute little nutritionist, and lose the pre-op weight as requested. But as for my daily food, I have a book that I bought online (Barnes & Noble) written by a women who has had the lapband procedure done and couldn't stand the diet she was given. So she successfully reworked the whole thing and made recipes that actually taste good. It's a book called: Eating Well after Weight Loss Surgery by Pat Levine. It runs about $14.00.

Anyway, let me know how you're doing; I'll cross everything I can, and keep positive thoughts running through my head. You'll be great!!!

Barbara

Hi Lisa! Wow...next week, huh? You'll do just great; attitude is 90%. If you want it to happen, then it will. But I'll be thinking positive thoughts, and saying prayers for your success. Will you be in Denver very long? And where do you spend your recovery time? Do you have friends or family nearby? Are you taking your computer? I'll be sure to keep in touch.

Yea, I can hardly wait for the head doc to get ahold of me. If I don't wind up in the looney bin, then I'll be set to go. But just this once, maybe I'll keep the sarcastic retorts and give-a-sh*t attitude to myself! So the gastro stuff wasn't too bad? That's the part that concerns me most. Well, that and the needle used for the fills!

I'm not sure if eating around the band scares me, but clogging it definately does. In fact, it terrifies me. I'll probably puree everything for the next year!!

I hate to tell you this, but my insurance is covering it all, including any possible plastic surgery later on. In fact, they're just thrilled at not having to spend all that money on my current meds. I have a three to six month wait, but that is not an insurance requirement. It's mine. I may wait until the last week in December.

I agree with you about the Adkins diet. It's the only one that has ever worked on me. So I'll humor the cute little nutritionist, and lose the pre-op weight as requested. But as for my daily food, I have a book that I bought online (Barnes & Noble) written by a women who has had the lapband procedure done and couldn't stand the diet she was given. So she successfully reworked the whole thing and made recipes that actually taste good. It's a book called: Eating Well after Weight Loss Surgery by Pat Levine. It runs about $14.00.

Anyway, let me know how you're doing; I'll cross everything I can, and keep positive thoughts running through my head. You'll be great!!!

Barbara

Pureeing everything would be considered 'eating around the band'. Soft and mushy stuff just goes right through it and doesnt give you that 'full' feeling which satisfies your hunger. Clogging it is no fun at all though. Ive had that happen 4 wonderful (NOT) times. Chew chew chew :).

The fill needle is no big deal. If the doc is good, you will hardly feel it.

I live in Charleston but I work for Catholic Charities West Virginia and am in Wheeling at least once a week. I just recently got my approval (after the Diocese switched insurance companies from Wells-Fargo to Mountain State Blue Cross/Blue Shield) and am waiting for my surgery date -