Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is my story

I was banded in December 2005, at the (then) Bupa Southampton by Michael Van den Bossche ( Leading surgeon in his field).

I didnt lose much weight at first, then after the second fill, I did a long haul flight and the restriction was really good, I couldnt eat at all while i was away, and came home almost a stone lighter!!

However, I soon needed another fill, and Mr VDB had trouble finding my port, the bruising that appeared later was horrendous, and my stomach very tender.

To cut a long story short, the only time I got real restriction was when I went on holiday. (flying increases the tightness of the band due to the pressure) I should have realised at the time that this wasnt normal, but I had lost 2 stone and thought it was just slow coming off.

Just after last Christmas I woke up one day and just knew i could eat things I hadnt been able to eat for over 2 years, and I havent stopped since, much to my embarrassment. I have put back on the 2 stone and more.

I booked an appointment for a fill ( couldnt get an appointment for 5 weeks)and explained about the non-restriction, but this fill wasnt with my surgeon, but at manchester x-ray.

The next day I could still eat anything, much to my shock and dismay.

i contacted my surgeon and asked for a fill ...I had to wait another 5 weeks for that.

he tried to take out the 4mls the manchester clinic had put in, only to find it was empty. he said looks like you have a leak.

I needed then to book an appointment for a contrast study done under x-ray.

This cost £269, adding the other 2 fills one at £150 ans the other at £100, the money was mounting up.

The x-ray took about 30 mins and was very thorough, it came to light that my actual band was leaking.

Weeks later my surgeon advised me of this, although i already knew, but he wanted to see the x-rays before making judgement.

I asked if there was any chance of the manufacturer footing the bill, or indeed the Bupa hospital. imagine my horror to find out the Bupa only guarantee their ops for 30 days!!!

Anyway 4 months on and this is where I stand now.

The manufacturer will give me a new band as mine was faulty, through no fault of my own , in fact I think it must have been faulty from day one.

However, who will take the faulty one out and put the new one in?

nobody wants to take this responsibilty.

I am now going to seek legal advice, because i think its shocking that this has happened, and I also think private hospitals should have new rules for gastric operations in regards to their warrenty policies.

So thats my story up to now.:lol:

Edited by Freckles

Hi there.

My friend had her band put in in 2004. Her band is also "broken". She was finding she had no restriction ever after fills. It appears her port site has tarnished.

Luckily, hers was done on the NHS and she is getting it fixed in August - she doesn;t need a new band, just a repair (unfortunately, she has put a lot of weight back on :thumbup:).

I know where your coming from - I think its unfair that this is the outcome for you. I asked before I had my surgery about this because of my friend. The consultant said my fee included 2 years aftercare. I asked him if this also included fixing "tarnished" bands and he said yes!! I'll need to check my contract! I hope the outcome in your situation is a positive one.

Thank you Camjay for your reply.

I'm so glad your friend is having her port replaced, at least the NHS are taking responsibility, not like the private surgeons.

I think you would be wise to check your contract, I was foolish and ignorant not to have checked this at the time.

If I had known all of this could occur, then I may have thought twice before shelling out my hard-earned savings.

I have a private healthcare but they do not cover cosmetic surgery.

I really think its about time everyone got up to speed and started changing their rules for obesity surgery. As usual the UK is in the dark and the last to comply.

I am awaiting a phone call from a doctor from my healthcare who may give me some advice as to where I should go from here.

I dont want to 'sue' anyone or go through the courts, but if I have to then I will.:thumbup:

EDIT: The doctor from my healthcare has avised me (as everyone has done) to seek legal advice.

I have also phoned my surgeon's secretary and asked her for all my notes and she is also going to ask him for the confirmation that the manufacturer will supply a new band.

Once i have all of this i can go ahead and seek the lagal advice.

Edited by Freckles

Its a while since i posted my story, and now I have decided the only way out is to pay again.:thumbup:

I am looking at going to Belgium with Dr Chris Debryune..in February if possible.

I have a similar story after my band was fitted in Sept 2007 I had to wait 5 months for a fill which was unsuccessful due to the port turning 360 degrees. I had the port turned in June 2008 and when I came to have a fill weeks later the port had moved again although it was supposed to have been sewn to my rib. So I still have no restriction 16 months on. The surgeon said I needed a someone with more experience after 15 attempts to fill under Xray on one day.He discharged me that day leaving to sort the problem out.

I contacted P.A.L.S who referred me to the Chief Exec with no satisfaction then the Complaints at my local PCT then my GP. Only after contacting ICAS the NHS arbitrator this week I have got things moving and have a appointment for next week.

I'm very sorry to hear of your story, but frankly I'm not surprised by it. The only responsibility private health companies have is to their shareholders. Like any business. Contracts, legal opinions, really what place should they have in terms of a person's quality of life? £150 for a fill?? It took my nurse about 20 seconds to do mine. If I were you I'd go to the TV program Watchdog, on any BBC local radio station and tell your story. I bet you'd get your situation sorted out for free then.

Sue them!

So sorry Christine that i didnt reply, I had no idea that anyone had replied to my thread.

I have now had my new band fitted, I am a week out of surgery and feel I have restriction like I didnt experience with the first band initially.

Have you any news about your plight?

What a dreadful experience for you, I bet you're so upset and angry about this.

Please let us know how things are going.

Hi Maincat, my apologies for not spotting your post before now.

The manufacturer offered me a new band and the Bupa (Spire) gave me a 20% discount so I opted for that.

It worked out cheaper than going to Belgium.

I have every faith in Michael Van den Bossche, he is a terrific surgeon and a wonderful man.

It was because of his persistance that the company gave me a new band, the old one now removed is, by now in the USA waiting to be examined ( I hope).

I will have to await their findings and remarks before i can move on with this.

I will however keep you posted , I usually am to be found in

this thread

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f11/anyone-know-dr-de-bruyne-chris-41669/index73.html#post1164269

many thanx for your suggestions and comments.:cursing:

BTW why did you have 2 ops Steve?

Edited by Freckles