Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rachel Ray is an idiot

Amen! Again, in Atlanta, we have all kinds of accents!!! We have not only different regions in the US but also from all over the world...very interesting.

Tho I agree with Ready - I too try to not speak too southern in order to be taken more seriously. Busting on southerners and fat people are the last 2 OK ways to discriminate.

My partner has a PhD in bio chemistry and a southern accent. When we travel and people hear her talk they assume she is stupid.

Agree. The wife and I went to Ohio a couple of years ago, and anytime we had to interact with anybody.....well.....it was a big to-do.

I know that my thick, thick (so thick I had to write it twice...my wife tells me that sometimes when I'm speaking unguardedly I tend to say "cain't" instead of "can't") draaaaaaawl makes me appear stupid. But I've found that I can learn a lot of stuff, and that people tend to speak more freely when they think I'm an uneducated hick.

I love accents! I don't think people are stupid unless they simply can't speak well to begin with, accent has nothing to do with it!

This is going to sounds racist and that's NOT how I mean it! I'm white, I have black relatives and my daughter is 1/2 black so don't EVEN go there! But... I HATE listening to black basketball players in TV interviews!! Here they are making millions, wearing snazy, expensive suits and they speak like they haven't made it out of the toddler's bed!! I swear, I can NOT understand a word they are saying! AND they are supposed to be ROLE MODELS!!!! UGH!!!

Okay back to RR, I like her in small doses. I get her mag, watch her 30 minutes show but will NOT watch her hour long show. Drives me nuts. I download a lot of her recipes. Some are hits, some aren't.

I like Giada too. In defense of how she pronounces her italian foods, she WAS born in Italy and is full-blooded italian, goes back every year to visit family who still lives there and can get too perky but I still like her.

I like Paula too but I don't DARE try to make any of her food. Goodness! Maybe she owns stock in butter and mayo!! I can't watch her party show though. Too much. Only her 1/2 hour ones can I handle.

Edited by heartfire
Forgot part of a sentence!

Did anyone see her show last week or the week before where she had that lady on who lost like 150 lbs.? She was talking about how she lost all that weight but then her friends wouldn't talk to her and even her mom was mad at her. They talked about the emotional impact of losing weight, emotional eating issues, etc...

Here's the idiot part: after the interview, Rachel Ray goes, "Now let's cook up some great food for these guys 'cause food makes everyone feel better!"

OMG I think my jaw hit the floor. Good thing I wasn't on the show because Rachel Ray would've shoveled some food into my mouth.

She is such a moron!

I have to admit, I really like RR. She's worked hard to get where she is. The comment does seem insensitive...but what the heck would someone expect her to talk about???? After all, she's not Dr. Phil....she's Rachael Ray!

i can take RR in doses - she can be a bit much, at times & it's not her voice for me...i have a bit of raspy NY accent voice going on, living in TX now & get a second glance every now and then.

my favorite is the brit Nigella "feasts". i love how she talks about food and entertaining - her dishes sound overly exotic, but end up being reasonably easy to make...maybe it's "her accent":rolleyes:..LOL

This is going to sounds racist and that's NOT how I mean it! I'm white, I have black relatives and my daughter is 1/2 black so don't EVEN go there! But... I HATE listening to black basketball players in TV interviews!! Here they are making millions, wearing snazy, expensive suits and they speak like they haven't made it out of the toddler's bed!! I swear, I can NOT understand a word they are saying! AND they are supposed to be ROLE MODELS!!!! UGH!!!

That just goes back to the idea that money can not buy you everything, well not at least immediately. You've got to be trained to speak publically.

And in the players defense, if you notice often as their career evolves their deportment evolves as well. So take someone not trained to speak publically stick a microphone in front of him and let the words roll out...I don't care who it is they are going to sound like an idiot.

And true some people don't want to change how they come across...

Goes to show how backwards our society is. I would bet that throughout those players' lives, they were lauded for their basketball abilities over their education. When Peyton Manning went pro, he sounded like he had marbles in his mouth. Someone obviously did some kind of work with him so that he would sound better!!

I'm white and it drives me crazy when I hear corporate co-workers saying "shoulda went". Come on, it's "should have gone"!!!!!!!

Now totally off the point is the Weather Channel. Distance is "farther" - Australia is farther away from the US than Europe! You also don't "continue on" - that's redundant! I hear "Let's continue on I-95....blah blah." GRR

Sorry, jumping off soapbox! :thumbup:

That just goes back to the idea that money can not buy you everything, well not at least immediately. You've got to be trained to speak publically.

And in the players defense, if you notice often as their career evolves their deportment evolves as well. So take someone not trained to speak publically stick a microphone in front of him and let the words roll out...I don't care who it is they are going to sound like an idiot.

And true some people don't want to change how they come across...

Goes to show how backwards our society is. I would bet that throughout those players' lives, they were lauded for their basketball abilities over their education. When Peyton Manning went pro, he sounded like he had marbles in his mouth. Someone obviously did some kind of work with him so that he would sound better!!

You both make great points. I still think that's bad that those men grew up speaking that way to begin with. What's so cool about speaking so absolutely NO ONE can understand you!!

The truth is people can understand them, the people they grew up with, the people they care about understand them.

Juli, I'm not sure I'm saying it right. What I'm really talking about is the "Hood" speak that some of them use for language. Not really the English language.

They obviously have talent and I'm sure many of them were smart enough to get through HS and college without the free rides you sometimes hear about (our own CSU was caught doing that many years ago with football and basketball players), so why, if they know the English language, were taught correctly in school (you hope!), do they continue to speak that way in public? You don't hear their mamma's talking that way. You don't hear the older men in their communities talking that way. I guess part of my point is that they are also role models to young children. I'm really NOT trying to start a debate. I guess I just don't understand it.

I do have to say though that it reminds me of the the Valley Girl talk in the 80's. I was a participant! You couldn't tell what we were saying most of the time either. Maybe it's the same sort of thing. Better believe though that I did NOT speak that way at home. Folks wouldn't put up with it! BUT that was just between us girls as friends having fun. We weren't on TV!

As a side note, I think I'm just digging myself a deeper hole!! :thumbup:

Like OMG, gag me with a spoon, heartfire. Like I can't like believe you like brought up like valley girls. <twirling hair>

Edited by SickNTired

So it sounds as though she has a sense of humour and can both take a joke and make a joke. What is wrong with that?