Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many fills to find your "Sweet Spot"?

I haven't had my surgery yet but am slightly concerned with the lifetime maintenance of the whole fill/unfill business. I can understand that adjustments need to be made, especially in the first year, but how many will I need? For those who have had their band for a long period, please share your experience and how many fills it took to find your "sweet spot". I'm hoping I don't have to have my belly poked for LIFE :) Also wondering how the port is able to withstand all the needles without creating leaks and holes.

I have only 8 months of experience under my belt, but I can tell you I had a really good first fill that was probably darn close to my "sweet spot" Three weeks ago I felt like I needed an adjustment as I was having a much easier time eating. I only had .5cc put in, but it turned out to be too much and I had a helluva bad 24 hrs. before I could get unfilled. I had a large portion taken out since I was so irritated. I had a good fill with 6.5cc, went to 7cc which was too tight. I had all taken out with the exception of 1.5, bumped up to 5 a few days later because I was still somewhat irritated, waited 2 weeks and am now back to 6.25cc. It seems to me that it can be hit or miss for some ppl. It also depends on the size of the band and a variety of other factors. Amount needed in the band and number of adjustments are a very individual thing.

The first 9 months, I think I had about 4 fills, then I had one six months later, then I had one a year after that and again a tiny tiny top up a year later.

I'm almost five months out. I've had two fills and am still losing steadily and have pretty good restriction. My band reminds me it's there at least once a day.

Part of it has to do with the amount of fat you have on your stomach. I'm talking the fat between your stomach and the band. As that fat shrinks, the band is automatically going to become looser, needing to be tightened. My surgeon told me that I didn't have much of a fat pad on my stomach so I'm hopeful that my fill will stay tight enough for a long period of time. I don't enjoy the whole fill thing and I have a fear of getting my band overfilled.

Almost six months for me and I have had three fills. I am happy so far. I went in last week for a fill and was denied. I had lost a good bit of weight in a short time. At first I was shocked that I left with no fill but 24 hours later I knew it was the right thing.

I have been banded just over 2 years and have had at least 20 fills and unfill. You may be like me and have a very fickle band. Be prepared for the worst. It can be quite costly if you don't have insurance that covers fills. Just be aware.

Thank you for sharing your experiences Luckily my insurance covers the fills, but not the surgery WEIRD!!! My only concern is that the more fills the more risks of getting a leak. Anyone else have the band longer than a year, had lots of fills and had no problems with leaks?