Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. John Bagnato - Possible Leak!!

Hello everyone! I just got home from my appointment at the OTC. First off, I'd like to say that I just met the new lady, Leslie, and she is wonderful! I was pretty nervous about someone new starting but I love her, she's great!

I gained one pound since last time I went. I was telling Leslie that I was able to eat things like pizza with no problem and she didn't think that was normal so she decided to check my Fluid level. It was checked in April (end of the month) and I had lost about .50cc, which they didn't think was uncommon. Well, she checked it today and I've lost .75cc in a two month span, which isn't normal. She told me not to freak out yet though. She replaced the .75cc that I lost and wants me to come back in a month so she can re-check the Fluid level again.

It would explain a lot if I do have a leak. I've never been able to keep restriction. It holds for a week or two, then it's back to being able to eat a horse. I feel pretty sure that I have a leak even though it hasn't been officially confirmed.

Having to have surgery again doesn't bother me as much as figuring out how I am going to deal with it. Will Dr. Bagnato's office cover the cost? Does insurance cover? Who has to pay what insurance doesn't cover? That is my major concern because I don't have the money to pay for another surgery. Even if insurance covers 90%, I don't have the money to pay for the 10% I'll owe. It took all of my saving to pay for the portion I owed on my initial surgery. I really am trying not the freak out yet but it's hard.

I am going to focus on doing the best I can and try not to let it get me down. I'm just going to have to make good food choices and work my butt off in the gym until I get all this sorted out.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

On a positive note, Leslie said they are getting serious about starting a support group for us. I am really excited about that!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Pamela - Girl I hope you don't have a leak! To me it would be faulty equipment and should be covered under the band's warranty. I'm not sure how that all works though. Good luck to you! You're in my thoughts...

Pamela - Girl I hope you don't have a leak! To me it would be faulty equipment and should be covered under the band's warranty. I'm not sure how that all works though. Good luck to you! You're in my thoughts...

Thanks! I've done a little research about leaks and many people say that the fill needle can cause a leak. With the exeption of my first fill, she has hit it on the first try every time. The first fill hurt like heck and took 3-4 sticks until she got it. Apparently if the needle misses the port hole, it can puncture the tubing, causing a leak. I don't know though. Either way, it's nothing I've done so I don't think I should be responsible for it. I'm praying we are wrong and I have nothing to worry about because my finances are really tight right now.

I hope everything turns out okie dokie!!

Pamela, first of all - I'm so sorry! I hope it turns out to be something minor that doesn't require a surgery. And if it does, I hope it is covered by someone else. I'd be freaking too if I were you since I was selfpay.

Now, having said all of that - I was there Monday, too! And I heard them talking about someone they were checking for a possible leak. I was there from about 3:30 until about 4:45 - yes, that long. They were really swamped and pretty far behind.

Pamela, first of all - I'm so sorry! I hope it turns out to be something minor that doesn't require a surgery. And if it does, I hope it is covered by someone else. I'd be freaking too if I were you since I was selfpay.

Now, having said all of that - I was there Monday, too! And I heard them talking about someone they were checking for a possible leak. I was there from about 3:30 until about 4:45 - yes, that long. They were really swamped and pretty far behind.

Thanks Sheryl! I was there from about 1:00 until 1:45 or so. I was the first one there when they opened back up after lunch. I've found that the 1:00 appointment is the best, no waiting. Or first thing in the morning.

I can already tell I'm not going to have restriction. Last night I ate some fruit and felt no restriction. I made myself stop eating, I really think I could have eaten the whole cantaloupe with no problem. I've never slimed or PB'ed, I thought maybe I was just lucky, but I really don't think I've ever experienced true restriction. If it does turn out to be a leak, I don't think I should be responsible for paying for another surgery since it's obviously faulty equipment. It's not like I poked a hole in it myself. I do think very highly of Dr. Bagnato and all the staff and I do feel like he would make it right. Well just have to see.

I also worry about infection from surgery since I've had such a rough time with staph infection. In fact, I have a place on my stomach that's just starting to clear up. Anyway, all I can do is just pray that it will work out.

Thanks for your concern, I really appreciate the good thoughts.

Hey everyone! It's been pretty slow here this weekend. I know lots of people are out of town and I hope everyone has a safe return.

I just wanted to post that I have some pretty darn good restriction today! I'm hoping it stays and we are wrong about the leak. Maybe it was just a miscalculation between my fill from Elizabeth and Leslie? I dunno, but I'm just really excited to feel some restriction for a change!

I agree that it's been really slow lately. Everyone must be out having fun. I sure hope you're right about your leak. Keep us posted.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Hey everyone! It's been pretty slow here this weekend. I know lots of people are out of town and I hope everyone has a safe return.

I just wanted to post that I have some pretty darn good restriction today! I'm hoping it stays and we are wrong about the leak. Maybe it was just a miscalculation between my fill from Elizabeth and Leslie? I dunno, but I'm just really excited to feel some restriction for a change!

Hey girl! I've been out and about - not on the computer as much as I was. I guess that I haven't had any issues lately and my newness is wearing off (the 1000 questions are gone), I just haven't had as much of a need. However, I'll do my best to check in and update. I need accountablity. That's my biggie right now. I'm glad you had some restriction today!! I hope it stays that way and hopefully you don't have a leak. Hang in there! :biggrin:

georgia girl - Well, I was just wondering about you. Do you still have some restriction or was it a fluke? Hope you're having a good day.

Thank ya'll for thinking about me. Yesterday my restriction wasn't as good and it seems to be about the same today. So, I dunno? I guess I'll find out on the 29th. I'm just praying it will all work out if it is a leak. Thanks for checking up on me. I really appreciate it.

I think part of the problem was Protein. With me not eating meat, I wasn't getting in enough Protein. So, I've decided to add seafood to my diet. I've had some tuna and some tilapia and it's going good. I can handle seafood fine but I still won't be eating any other meats. I'm am loving all the fresh vegetables and fruits though. Last night I made a quick version of Ratatouille. Who knew I'd ever enjoy that, lol!

Thanks again and I will keep ya'll updated! Have a great day!

Hey everyone! I just thought I would update y'all on my restriction level. It's actually holding pretty good. I had my very first sliming incident today. I was eating triscuits before my jog and started sliming. Luckily I did not PB, but I had a pretty tight feeling in my upper chest and lower throad area. I've had good restriction the last few days so y'all keep your fingers crossed that it stays, lol!

Guest Leslie2Lose

Pamela - I'm glad it sounds like you don't have a leak. Sliming is nasty! Sounds like good news so far. Keeping my finger's crossing for you girl! :-)

Thought I would give ya'll an update. I went to the OTC today and Leslie withdrew my Fluid and I was missing a little over .25cc. She said she would talk to Dr. Bagnato and see what he thinks. She thinks we should just keep an eye on it for now.

IF it is a leak, it must be a slow one. More than likely in the connection of the tubing, I think. Nothing is for sure yet though. Some of it could have just evaporated. If I continue losing Fluid, I will more than likely have to do the dye test. I guess it's just a wait and see kinda thing for now. She put back in all the fluid she withdrew plus a little over .50cc. I can already feel a difference, so I'm hoping this is the one.....

Thank ya'll for all the support. Ya'll are great!!