Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous about surgery

I've done lots of research and am still learning something new every day about the lap band.

I'm okay with the lifestyle changes required to be banded, all around I'm comfortable with everything about being banded, pre op, post op, etc....

The # 1 thing that is really making my stomach do flip flops is the surgery in general. I am a WUSS! I have to have had to have blood work done every 2-3 months for a thyroid problem I have and I've been doing this since October so you'd think I'd be okay with getting poked, but I STILL act like a child at the pediatrician every time I go to get my blood drawn. I had an anxiety attack when they gave me an IV when I gave birth to my DD. I actually had a couple of anxiety attacks throughout that VERY routine process.

I'm just so freakin nervous. I have watched an animation of the surgery (can't bring myself to watch the actual surgery on youtube). I'm just scared. Really scared. I'm scared of being put under general anesthesia, I'm not sure if they put a breathing thing down my throat and if they do I'll be super scared of that. I'm scared of being cut open. I know it's small incisions, but I'm still scared. My mom almost died in having a routine hysterectomy because the doc severed an artery... so I'm scared of that too (BTW that was like 14 years ago). I'm just so scared of it all. In my heart of hearts I know in the end I'll be fine and I'll be so glad I went through with it.

I'm not joking when I say this... I think I should get a xanax (aka zanex) prescription for the evening before and morning of surgery so I won't be so freakin scared. I have been prescribed xanax before. What do you think?

I just need a little guidance... someone to set my worried mind at ease. Some kind words.

Thanks.

It is normal to be nervous of course. If your surgery is anything like mine, and it will be, other than the night before and day of jitters, when it comes time to the actual surgery, you fall asleep fast. You don't even have time to think about it. It is almost like you close your eyes, open them and it is done.

Recovery is not bad either. You won't be in pain because you will be medicated. You may be tired and sleep alot, but that is no big deal. I never finished my pain pill prescription if that tells you anything. I was only going to take the pills if I was feeling really bad . . . it didnt happen . . . other than being tired and a little sore I was just fine.

Giving birth is a lot scarier and more intense. If you could make it through that, being banded will be a walk in the park . . . close your eyes and open them it is already over with minor discomfort and fatigue.

I'm not trying to say I wasn't a little scared myself, but honestly, the surgery was a piece of cake. Everyone, including my surgeon,was the nicest to me. I felt wonderful when I finally awoke(after 12 hrs or so).

My symptoms set in the following 2 or 3 days(gas, burping, soreness), but I'm 13 days post- op and feeling great! It was worth it.

I know how you feel. I've only been under once and I was scared out of my mind. I've just recently started to get butterflies in my stomach about the surgery and I don't even have a date yet. LOL It's perfectly normal to be scared but like you said you know the benefits of having the surgery. Whenever you feel like you are going to hurl from the anxiety of surgery just take a deep breath and think about all the things you'll be able to do after you have the surgery. All the stores you'll be able to shop in, how your body is going to look and feel after you lose the weight, how you will feel knowing that as long as you stay the course it will never come back. I think of those things and the feeling goes away. I'm sure it will do the same for you.

my first suggestion would be.... do NOT watch the live surgery. i'm usually pretty good with shows like "Trauma in the ER" but I couldn't watch this video... i made it thru 2 minutes before i realized i really didn't want to watch how its done!

i can understand your nervousness. i went into this with never having a surgery before... never having an IV before but it's the best thing i've ever done for myself!

i'm not sure if you're spending the night in the hospital but that first night was the worst. you don't know how to get out of bed without hurting. you don't know how to lay back down without hurting. you're afraid of doing something wrong. In the end, everything will be just fine.

i was scared about the breathing tube but i was more afraid of being awake during the surgery and them not knowing. let me tell you... once they put the oxygen mask on the next thing you'll know you'll be waking up in recovery!

i don't think i was fully prepared with the lifestyle change.... after 60 days i'm still not used to it. my head tells me to keep eating... the food tastes SO good but the body says... no WAY, you're done!

just remember... everyone has been thru what you're feeling and i'm sure most of us didn't take a xanax but if you do plan on taking them I would call your surgeon first to make sure he knows about it!!

good luck!

I was very nervous before my surgery in March. When we pulled into the parking lot at the surgery center at 6AM on the morning of my surgery, I had thoughts of backing out, but I didn't. Once inside I was so busy getting ready for surgery that I wasn't nervous at all. It was no time at all that I was wheeled into the OR. Everything went fine and today I feel so lucky to have had this opportunity to change my life for the better. Good luck to you.