Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I finally feel like I am at the end of my dieting road. I have considered lapband surgery in the past and whimped out when it came to the crunch.

I know diets don't work (long-term) for me and I can't live on this dieting rollercoaster hell any longer! But for that very reason, I am most concerned about lapband surgery:

I am a HUGE eater, who is absolutely obsessed with food. I can't even hold a dinnertime conversation if i know there is yummy food still to be eaten. My biggest fear is that if i have this surgery, I may damage my body (more than the damage caused by the obesity itself) by eating more than the band will allow. Is it the case that the band makes you feel as full off one slice of cake as you would if you ate the whole cake pre-band? if that is the case, then this could be right for me.

Even though I really want this to be the solution, I'm just worried that it won't work if my compulsive overeating mindset still exists pre-surgery. Does the surgery help take away the food obsession , or do you have to sort the head stuff out first? ...if it's a case of having to sort the head stuff out first, wouldn't i have already found the solution without surgery? it seems like a catch-22. those on this forum who have been banded talk about the lifestyle changes you still need to make after the band - does the band assist in making these changes when you are absolutely in love with food!?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.

hey! dont be nervous. let me tell you a little about myself. my name is samantha im 19 yrs old and i live in nyc. i decided to get this surgery so young because my father weighed over 500 lbs and had the gastric bypass. hes lost 250. i know if i dont get it i will end up like him. im still waiting for my insurance.

i looooooooveeeeee food! who doesnt? and if anyone says they dont (including skinny people) its a lie. ever hear the phrase "you have to eat to live, not live to eat" well its true. and yes you do have to sort out the head stuff first. but if you are really ready to do this-you will do it. go see a psycologist if you have not already. just talk about your fears and concerns and it may help you make your decision. and about the quantity of your food-your stomach will only be able to hold a certain amount of food-after that you'll throw up. not that that is a fix but you wont be able to eeat as much. but when you're ready-everyone's here for you and you'll be there for you! good luck

No the lap band will not stop your head hunger but it will make it more difficult for you to keep eating once you are full. It also makes it easier because you are not hungry and you fill up on less food.

If you can accept the fact that you will no longer be able to eat like you did before then the lap band will work for you. We all love food or we wouldn't be here right now. I still have the head hunger like when I am bored or tempted but I have been able to fight it. If it gets too difficult then I will go the see the Psych.

I have not had a fill yet but when I eat a meal I am full and I stay full for several hours, I am up to a cup a food per meal. In between meals even though I am not hungry I do think about food especially when I smell it or see it (damn those Olive Garden Commericials! :thumbs_up:)

I have to remind myself that After all I have been through with the surgery and expense I don't want to cause damage or fail, the food will still be there when I am hungry again, and with the band if I overeat I am going to get sick.

Honestly it is a whole lot easier to fight the head hunger with the band because you are full and you can only eat so much. But the only one that can answer whether you are truly ready to commit to this is you. It is a tool that makes weight loss much easier but you have to be ready to do what it takes to make it work.