Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should people barely over 200 lbs or below 200 get Lapband or any WLS...?

Should people barely over 200 lbs or below 200 lbs have Lapband or any other WLS.  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should people barely over 200 lbs or below 200 lbs have Lapband or any other WLS.

• Yes, they have the right to if they want it.
    • No, it's a waste of money and not worth it.
    • I don't know and I don't care.
    • No freaking way!!! Just eat a little less dangit!!!

I really don't think people understand the higher BMI people sometimes. When they see people who weigh around 200 lbs they think to themselves "Why can't I be that size?" Least that's what I think. Your answer wasn't the nicest...but I guess I could understand it. If you were at my seminar though my surgeon would have asked you to leave and said you wern't qualified for surgery.

froggi you are absoultely right - i have no frame of reference of those in the higher BMI range. being 5'2 and 198lbs as joy states, puts her BMI at 35.2. that's obese. your surgeon would ask her to leave?

i just have such issues all around with parameters put on Age or Weight and who deserves surgery. i gotta tell ya, if i could have had the band placed in my 20's to PREVENT weight gain - more so than weight loss ; i would have paid the coin to do so, like i did when i DID get the band and insurance thought i needed to diet.

i read the previous posts about young adults/teenagers getting banded; i think the parents of these youngsters are best equipped to decided their childrens mental health to handle WLS. i must say the mental anguish of being the "fat" kid must certainly far outweigh learning to deal w/the tool...MO only,

froggi you are absoultely right - i have no frame of reference of those in the higher BMI range. being 5'2 and 198lbs as joy states, puts her BMI at 35.2. that's obese. your surgeon would ask her to leave?

If her BMI was between 35-40 and she didn't have at least 2 comorbids yes he would ask her to leave/tell her to find another surgeon. He only operates on people who have a bmi of 35-40 with 2 comorbids or BMI of 40 or over with comorbids or not.

i just have such issues all around with parameters put on Age or Weight and who deserves surgery. i gotta tell ya, if i could have had the band placed in my 20's to PREVENT weight gain - more so than weight loss ; i would have paid the coin to do so, like i did when i DID get the band and insurance thought i needed to diet.

Oh, that's SO true. Me too. I was always always always going to become obese. I managed to hold it off for a long time, but having a couple of babies was the final straw for my body, the weight really began to pile on after that. As it was I really DID get banded to prevent future weight gain but this little band would have been a big help to me earlier on.

I just dont see it as "so extreme" the way others do. I just cant understand why its OK to have fake tits and cut your face to bits and inject yourself with botulism, all in the name of looking better but a lapband is suddenly EXTREME.

There's pills to lower our cholesterol and our blood pressure and its OK to take drugs all your life to prevent health problems related to those, and to start them when you're not already so far gone that the damage is done, but to get a lapband at a BMI of 35 is EXTREME? It does the health prevention job of about six drugs in one drug free solution!

One can never be sure, you dont know what's round the corner, but in all probababily getting on top of this problem now will improve the quality of my life for 50 years to come. I'm going to be that marathon running granny!

I just think its completely blind not to be able to see the virtue of preventing really serious obesity in the first place.

If her BMI was between 35-40 and she didn't have at least 2 comorbids yes he would ask her to leave/tell her to find another surgeon. He only operates on people who have a bmi of 35-40 with 2 comorbids or BMI of 40 or over with comorbids or not.

wow - so that's his practice's policy?

only to provide the lapband to those MO or those w/Comorbids? you think maybe you've had somewhat a bias to those getting this done before that range, though still obese because of your surgeons requirements?

i say this with no hostility, i know froggi personally your committed to the band, and being successful.....but to delay to MO or worse - comorbids is rather harsh.

that really is a shame...

Well, Joy's bmi is 36.2 and she has comorbidities. I am around the same BMI and have several comorbidities too. My surgeon, my family doctor, my obgyn, my psy doc, and my pulmonologist all think I am a great candidate for lapband surgery. I am thankful I did not walk into Froggi's surgeon's office.

I am done with this thread.

that really is a shame...

Yeah, it is. Luckily not all surgeons are like that.

A lot of surgeons in west virginia and other states won't do WLS on people unless their BMI is 35-40 with 2 comorbids or 40 and over with some or none. It's just how a lot of surgeons work. It's not my fault. I love my surgeon. I was just saying his policy.

I think that within our own fat society that we have predjucies

Pple who are 350 lbs don't think that a person who is 250 is that fat and the person who 250 looks at some who is 175 and says they aren't that fat. (just say they are all the same height) and the 250 says oh I didn't get to 300 and the one 175 says I didn't get to 250 -

Well pple fat is fat - an alcholic is no diff than a druggie.. If you are obese get the dang surgery - no one regulates if you can get a nose job or not - it's a personal decision...

Heck I know a person who has 30 lbs to lose went to mexico and got banded.. Good for her - she felt she needed the tool she has the $$ so be it

Who are we to impose our will on someone else... Don't we have enought of that in our everyday life..

I can't beleive this is still being debated..

A lot of surgeons in west virginia and other states won't do WLS on people unless their BMI is 35-40 with 2 comorbids or 40 and over with some or none. It's just how a lot of surgeons work. It's not my fault. I love my surgeon. I was just saying his policy.

My surgeon has the same requirements.

I feel for you, I'm borderline bmi with severe co-morbities.....I strap myself into painful body shapers and dress to hide it and do not look 198lbs.....One 300 pounder turned around at the 1st. seminar and said with great wonder, "What are YOU doing here?" I guess I was rude but I'd heard enough elsewhere and I answered,"To avoid becomming like you!" Well, she asked for it!

Joy

"If you were at my seminar though my surgeon would have asked you to leave and said you wern't qualified for surgery." Froggi

God, I said I was done with this thread. Froggi, according to your later posts, she WOULD be qualified for the surgery. Your surgeon would not ask her to walk out. Get over it! Some people may not look that overweight to YOU, but they have the comorbidities that make them qualify, even for your surgeon.

Ok, I really need to take this thread off of my email alerts!

Some people may not look that overweight to YOU

Because I've been dieting to get ready for surgery, I am now BELOW 200 lb. This, naturally, has given me pause because now I don't feel so enormously fat. But I was at the hairdresser today, that place with all the mirrors, and guess what? I AM ENORMOUS by pretty much any standard you want to use. Plus, to get to my ideal weight from my starting weight means I have to lose 100 POUNDS.

Think about that... 100 pounds of excess weight. 100 pounds! That is a tremendous amount of weight for a person to be carrying around with them. It's a mind-boggling amount of weight really.

It's only in the WLS world where a person with 100 lb. of excess weight is called an Lightweight and people are convinced they aren't fat enough for WLS. In the real world, such a person is a big tub of lard that people are disgusted by, discriminate against, and who is damaging their body every day by carrying around that much weight.

Because I've been dieting to get ready for surgery, I am now BELOW 200 lb. This, naturally, has given me pause because now I don't feel so enormously fat. But I was at the hairdresser today, that place with all the mirrors, and guess what? I AM ENORMOUS by pretty much any standard you want to use. Plus, to get to my ideal weight from my starting weight means I have to lose 100 POUNDS.

Think about that... 100 pounds of excess weight. 100 pounds! That is a tremendous amount of weight for a person to be carrying around with them. It's a mind-boggling amount of weight really.

It's only in the WLS world where a person with 100 lb. of excess weight is called an Lightweight and people are convinced they aren't fat enough for WLS. In the real world, such a person is a big tub of lard that people are disgusted by, discriminate against, and who is damaging their body every day by carrying around that much weight.

I have lost 96 lbs as of today. I told my husband, "If you put something that weighed 96 pounds in front of me and asked me to lift it, I couldn't do it. But I carried those 96 pounds around on my body for years." Even though I still have quite a bit more to lose, just losing those 96 lbs made it worth going through surgery. I wish I'd gotten the surgery when I only had 90 lbs to lose instead of 190.

"In the real world, such a person is a big tub of lard that people are disgusted by, discriminate against, and who is damaging their body every day by carrying around that much weight."

My thoughts exactly.