Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5k.....come join me!!

It's funny, at the start of this c25k process, I never thought I'd get this far. Now I know I can run a 5k... I know I have it in me! That's an amazing feeling.

I hear you on the music thing. I don't hate the podrunner music, but I don't like it much either... guess I'm too old!

Today I put together a mix of my favourite music and loaded that on my ipod. My problem is I don't wear a watch, so don't know how long I'm running. I'm still working on how to make the mix a specific length of time.

oh leslie - the motivation for running is not always there; and there is no failure involved by taking a siesta:tongue:. i must say coming here often gives me the encouragement on days that it's just not what i want to do...

i think taking it outside is a good thing - helps me a bunch...

looking forward for the other ladies to pop back in...lyn has been seriously entertaining!!

kathy you look great - i need to get some photos up / just have camera poison ivy......get the ichy w/hives when hubby pulls it out..:rolleyes2:

The podrunner really helped me alot in the beginning when we were doing shorter intervals. Knowing when to start/stop. now that we are running for longer periods of time, I prefer my own music. Singing in my head and knowing the words seems to help distract me from the monotony that running sometimes becomes for me. I don't even really care how far or long I run. As long as I am running and pushing myslef I am making positive changes in my life. I am trying to learn to listen to my body. I know when I have had a good workout and when I quit before I have pushed myself as far as I desire to. I don't need a watch or treadmill distance screen to tell me that. I am sooooo ready to beginning living without being so focused on pounds and minutes ran, etc. I just want to enjoy the journey more. Takes the stress away. I can't believe I am even typing that. It just seems that I am having a shift in focus, in a good way.

Renewed... that is thought provoking and very interesting. I don't know if I'm there yet, but it is certainly an inspiring way to look at the journey. I'm still at the very eager to know stage... I want to know how FAR, how LONG, how MUCH!!! It kind of drives my DH crazy... he's very calm and secure with his running.. he doesn't need to know the details, he's just comfortable with knowing he's done his run. Maybe that's where you are at!

Renewedhope that is so "ZEN" of you. I hope to get there some day. I tend to be obsesive complusive and need numbers to measure good and bad. That is not very ZEN-like. I too am in a learning process in reading my body. Since it has only been 8 weeks since my surgery; I am still figuring out the signals of eating too much. (This week has been a bad week for hunger)

Leslie, I have to say I have not been a running maniac this week either. I also feel guilty, but come here for support. Reading the posts gives me the kick in the pants I need to Run. After I do it, I am also proud and glad.

I know that I tend to be silly and sometimes inappropriate, (sorry) it is part of where I am right now. I have so many new experience and I am finding that it isn't just about lossing weight. Every aspect of my life is changing and it can be amazing and hysterical. One of my greatest discoveries was when my theighs didn't rub blisters on each other when I ran! That was a defining moment for me. Or when I realized I run on my toes and had to re-learn to run. It is little things like that and all of your stories that makes me put on those sneakers and say ok, I will run for 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 20 minutes .....

Thanks everyone for keeping my butt moving.

Kathy, your pictures are fabulous. I know you are proud and you should be. You have worked hard.

Yeah kathy; you're a hottie~

Lyn... me a hottie... LOL, but thanks! BTW, when are you going to get some progress photos on your profile. We need to see a larger picture of that sexy red hair. Love the new avatar photo!

Hey everyone...

It's been awhile since I've posted. I've definately been a lurker. I decided that since I haven't been running and all of my posts were just about my family problems that I would back out for a bit.

Today I tried to run. ughhh. I am so disappointed. My hip started hurting almost immediately and tonight it is hurting pretty bad. It had a nice long rest so I thought it would be ok to run just a bit. I guess I was wrong. Back to square one. I'm bummed because I really do enjoy running! I have never felt better then when I was running regularly.

Dont know what to do lately really. Weight loss is at a stand still. My eating isn't what it should be at all. I'm hardly exercising. BLAH! I just want things to get back to normal. I might need you all to give me a kick in the butt too. I gotta quit feeling sorry for myself and get my act together, I just can't seem to do it. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Hey everyone!! I'm BAAACCCCKKKKK! Sure did miss all of you!

I'm finally settled in and I've been without internet access!! I've been going nuts without this site, lol!

I am very proud of myself though. Even with the stress of moving, I didn't miss a run. I'm still on week 4. I've been feeling like I tire out easily lately and like I've been walking at an incline even though the setting was on zero. I noticed today at the YMCA that the treadmills I've been running on look like they are inclined. I asked the trainer and he said it looked the same to him. I ended up getting on a different style treadmill and was able to finish my run fine. So, I think I've been running at a bit of an incline and that's why I've been getting so tired so fast.

I haven't read every post yet.....I have a lot to catch up on, lol. But, I'm glad to be back again.

Nice to hear from you Mama and Georgia!

Mama... here's your gentle push... as requested! :lol:

Seriously, though... take it one day at a time. Your DH and family needs you! I hope your DH is recovering well.

Georgia... that's excellent that you continued to run through the move period. Stupid treadmills... it probably is elevated! Another energy sapper might be lack of carbs. I know you had said you were going to follow a low carb plan... that might be causing you some energy drain??

Ok... I was hoping someone would be online here to give me a good kick in the butt to get moving. It's rainy, hot and humid here today and I can't run outside... but dreading using the treadmill. I don't really want to run, so using that as an excuse!

Nice to hear from you Mama and Georgia!

YES!!!

Ok... I was hoping someone would be online here to give me a good kick in the butt to get moving. It's rainy, hot and humid here today and I can't run outside... but dreading using the treadmill. I don't really want to run, so using that as an excuse!

hey kathy - online, go run!

got 5.2miles in today - broken down because i'm a slug trying to do this 5k all at once. but i'm able to add more / more each time...

get on the treadmill!!! LOL

Guest Leslie2Lose

Kathy - I know you don't want to do it. You do know however how much better you will feel once you run.

Thanks Leslie and Luluc! It's what I needed. I RAN! I did 25 min on the treadmill. I was struggling... lol. I don't think my body likes the treadmill!!! However, this is the first time I've done more than 13 min non-stop on the treadmill... so that's a major success!!

I ran to my own music this time, and it really helped!

OK Kathy you got me motivated!

Somebody put an APB (all points bulletin) out on my ASS, us I just ran it off!!!

All time record for me:

I ran on the treadmill 30.5 minutes for 2 miles. I can not believe it. I remember when I was struggling with getting 5 minutes in - that was just a few weeks ago.

If you are just starting on this journey - please don't give up!!! Seriously, I am not built like a runner, but I did it, I did it -You can too, just stay with.

Oh, you guys I am so proud. Kathy, it does feel good when someone kick you off the cyber sofa and says " get on the treadmill. You did that for me today. Big hugs!!!!!!!

I really need a shower now. Chat later, Lynn the runner!!

PS, I liked what you said a few post back about running out side and getting the runners nod! You know, (NOD) yeah, I am a runner too, you look good - I feel good - have a nice day - nod!

So to all of you I (nod) to you!

Georgia, So glad you are back. I have missed you so much!!

Mamato, So glad to here from you. We are all thinking about you. Hoping things are lots better soon.

I didn't run today. Ate chinese food tonight. What is up with me???? I have got to get my butt in gear. DH plays the guitar and sings. Today he bought me a tshirt that says, "Support Local Music...Sleep with a Misician" TOO funny. He really wants me to wear it. OMGosh!! It is a medium and fits, but it is a little tight in the boobs. Also, I fit in a pair of size 10 jeans. WOO HOO! ! I talked myself out of buying them because my TT is soon and then they won't fit, but I thought maybe trying on clothes would motivate me. It usually does. I bout a pretty shirt that is also a size medium. Now, I just have to get in gear. PS is too soon to slack off.

We are gearing up for Ike. It should hit the coast tonight and the eye is supposed to go through here tommorow. It is goign to be moving fast, so our greatest threat is tornadoes. Today all the gas stations in town were packed. We filled up, bought groceries and got a little cash. I think we are good to go. They are also predicting 50 - 60 mph winds. If we have strong winds we usually lose electricity because our big beautiful east Texas trees fall on the power lines. So, if we lose power I won't be on for awhile, but I will be thinking of all of you. Maybe it will do like Gustav and move out of our direction. Looks like it is going to be a pretty big storm....